1947 Gilbert American Flyer set - how to sell and is it worth it?

JulieC

Hello - I have a 1947 Gilbert trainset - original receipt was $36. It has some boxes, operations manual, station, track, 6 cars with New Haven on them, 650 red cars, one 710 and a tunnel (2 pieces), 3 Boulevard lamps, one other light switching stand), switching station and a disc for the talking station. I don't know if it works. Any thoughts on value? I have the operations manual and original receipt.

I'm no expert on American Flyer (I believe that is what you have), but I would try searching eBay, you may find you have something special. Without the original set box you might do better selling it piece by piece. I doubt all of your pieces came in one set. If they did it is a premium set and they are rare.

If you can post some pictures we may be able to assist you further.

Is the track 2-rail with metal ties clipped to the rails with fiber insulators between track and ties? If so, then it is definitely Gilbert American Flyer S-scale (1/64). Don't recall when I got my set, but packed it away when I switched to HO about 1956. A few years later, my mother called me at college and asked if I minded donating the set to a children's sanitarium in Chicago. I said, yes! While it was a charitable act, I sure wish I'd made a different decision. ;)

Back