1938 Photo to Layout Design

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
My quest of a prototypical layout using an LDE ala Koester, et al took another step forward today when I actually fit the my town's PRR terminal onto a 30" x 72" folding table. It has been my goal to make a layout that would fold up and fit under my upcoming basement layout--one that would allow me to run my PRR engines.

The first shot is a 1938 aerial photo of Downtown Indiana, PA. The turntable has been taken out (darn) but you can see where it was. Turning trains is now being done on a set of double wyes, one owned by the PRR and the other by the B&O--but no interchange so I sacked that LDE.

indiana01photo.gif

I had a lot of trepidation about it being able to fit, but by clipping off the longer industry to the right and Stewart's Hardware on the left, I got it in.

indiana01.gif

I also compressed the block so the angles of the sidings are a little off.

Next step, identify and find pictures of the buildings. This is what I have so far.

indiana1938.gif

This 1930 Sanborn Map shows I might be off a little.

mapprr.jpg

(Courtesy of TomKat)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip -

Those Sanborn maps are priceless, eh?:cool:

Do you have the part of the map that shows what you labeled as "Engine Service"? I was thinking that set of buildings looked a bit elaborate for servicing a few locos terminating at the end of the branch. Seems like there would be more tracks leading there too, if that was an engine shop...

1910.jpg

Notice how the 1910 map has a layout closer to mine. There are shadows of the old trackwork, just like you can see the old turntable that was gone before the turn of the century.

Back