1930s Passenger Car liveries?

A few immediately come to mind.

The first is the Central of New Jersey's Blue Comet. A lovely dark blue and cream paint scheme, made famous by the Lionel sets of the same name.

The others would include:
Union Pacific and its Armour Yellow.
Milwaukee Road and its bright Orange
Santa Fe Red and Yellow. However, I think their coaches may have been the traditional green until the streamliners came into play? But the red and yellow scheme for passenger and blue and yellow for freight is certain very well known.
Southern Pacific and some variation of red and/or red and orange but not sure of the dates on that one.

Last edited:
The others would include:
Union Pacific and its Armour Yellow.
Milwaukee Road and its bright Orange
Santa Fe Red and Yellow. However, I think their coaches may have been the traditional green until the streamliners came into play? But the red and yellow scheme for passenger and blue and yellow for freight is certain very well known.
Southern Pacific and some variation of red and/or red and orange but not sure of the dates on that one.
Other than the M-10000 the Union Pacific did not start using Armor Yellow on regular service passenger cars until 1952.
Santa Fe was all Pullman/Olive green (except cabbage) until they went to stainless starting in 1937 with the Super Chief.
Southern Pacific daylight scheme began in 1937.
Likewise CB&Q was Pullman green until the Zephyr in 1936.
Baltimore and Ohio were Royal Blue all the way from the 1890s.
Southern Railway was bright but dark "Sylvan Green" or "Virginia Green" starting in 1926.
Wabash had the blue bird blue and other trains followed suit, but I don't know when that started (1938?).

Actually, Armor yellow was used on all “City of” trains and the Overland starting in 1936. In 1941 Leaf Brown was changed to Harbor Mist Gray. There were minor lettering changes here and there, but the scheme was quite long lived.

B&O went to Blue with gray window stripe and roof around 1938, but had been using a their version of Pullman Green at least since the end of USRA operation. Once the change to Blue and Gray, passenger locomotives (steam), were painted B&O Royal Blue, and secondary cars began receiving a solid blue in 1946 or so...
PRR streamlined trains were painted a two tone red, actually red and maroon, with a black rood, beginning in 1938. That included both new lightweight as well as rebuilt heavyweight. They were known as the Fleet of Modernism (FOM). Incidently, Stainless steel cars (primarily from Budd), were also painted FOM color.

Hmmm, so much for using UtahRails.net as a reference. I had always trusted it.
Gotta watch those web sources. There's often no way to vet the contributors, or there may be a very limited discussion going on. Kratville & Rank's "The Union Pacific Streamliners", and the SP's painting & lettering guide are what I've been using. I have a thing for the "City of" trains. I'm doing the 1941 train. I'd really like to do the 1938 train but that bulb nosed E-2 is a little rich for my blood!

That is kind of what I mean. Don Strack usually is well versed in his materials. He was one that I often used to check other peoples' things against.
Well, I looked and it seems to be a pretty good site actually. Maybe we have a definition issue. You (or they) said regular service. Maybe what was meant was general service, when the yellow cars were used outside the "City" pool. That may be correct. I'm not enough of a UP expert to be sure.

Postscript: I poked around their site and it looks like this is correct. The yellow and brown/yellow & gray cars were used on streamliners only until 1952, then all passenger equipment got it. You can still trust the site. :)

Last edited:

Back