18" radius curves or...less

Rabοliοt

Old Bandit
Hello,
I just bought my first Bachmann GP40 (H0) and I'm very happy with this loco. It runs very well at every speeds.
On its website Bachmann writes: "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater". Can I run my new loco on 17"1/4 radius curves without any issues ? Thanks.

Do not attempt to do that until you get a certified letter from Bachman.
Actually, just give it a shot. Most likely you will get derailments.
It's not like it's a exploratory calculus test that you have to resolve first.

I just bought my first Bachmann GP40 (H0) and I'm very happy with this loco. It runs very well at every speeds. On its website Bachmann writes: "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater". Can I run my new loco on 17"1/4 radius curves without any issues ?
I would think so, I've run many pieces of equipment on 15" radius. It helps if the couplers pivot with the trucks rather than being mounted on the body. I don't recall from the pictures in the other thread which your's are.

It will depend on whether the sideframes hit on the coupler pockets at maximum deflection of he trucks. Not familiar with GP40's. haven't had any trouble with GP7/9 Athearn Bluebox on 15"R curves. Good luck!

I've learned over the years that the engine may negotiate the tighter curves, but the couplers will drage the front car off the rails in those curves. If that happens, you can try longer shank couplers to increase the pivot ability of them.

I bought some second hand Peco curves (radius 17"1/4 or 438mm in European money). I tried to run my new Bachmann GP40...and it was a complete disaster. I stopped immediately the test just before something breaks. Back to 20 " radius curves or greater.

Last edited:
I bought some second hand Peco curves (radius 17"1/4 or 438mm in European money). I tried to run my new Bachmann GP40...and it was a complete disaster. I stopped immediately the test just before something breaks. Back to 20 " radius curves or greater.
May not have been the radius, A GP40 should handle that. 2nd hand track though, might be a different story. An NMRA gage, run over them might show up discrepancies.

1628860597399.png

Wow, I am surprised. But that is good information for the next person who asks.

Back