$150 Caboose

It looks to me as the same Walthers transfer caboose that was formerly in their "Maintenance of Way" series of plastic freight cars. If I remember correctly, the entire packages of 6 cars sold for about $30, so IMO, yes, it is pretty overpriced, even if it has been custom painted and 'graffitti'ed'. Normally, for a caboose in this price range, I'd expect it to at least be brass.

Unless you definitely HAVE to have this car, I'd pass on it. $150 is pretty steep for something that used to cost about $6.98 when it first came out singly.

Tom :confused:

As the ad says, it's something you don't see every day. A cheap plastic caboose with paint slopped all over it for weathering and then it it becomes "custom. The amazing part is that he has one bid. If you look at some of his other offerings, you'll see they are all "custom" with about the same level of craftsmanship and the same outrageous pricing. I'd be really interested to see what kind of response he'd get at WeatheredModels.com if posted a picture of that pile of junk.

well there goes my day. i have been creating the exact samething from 2 walthers bay window cabooses and other detail parts for the last 2 months or so.

An ebay search for "custom" in the HO category will net you 286 items right now.
Some are, some aren't, some make you wonder why you work for a living and where these people come from!
What was it P.T. Barnum said about those "round sugary candies on sticks"?

If you check out the rest of his sale list . He uses the word "custom" pretty loosely !!!

omg then I bet when it gets to your house and you find it is in fact junk. Go and try and send Feedback to the guy and then get harrased and threatened for a week in capital letters.

I'm betting yours will look better.

im sure it will whenever i finish it. btw i meant athearn cabooses. Only thing i really need to fix is the handrails. I dont like how i used the smokey valley ones from a locomotive. Im going to probably try and find another caboose thats already assembled from the factory and hack off the end railings. I really dont want to use the crappy athearn bent metal that doesn't look real.

Josh, do you know if anyone makes anything similar to the lift rings but alottt longer?

Detail Associates make the plate style lift rings, for locomotive pilots & the like. They're taller, and beefier.

That seller has 87 completed items, with only 6 sales! :rolleyes:

It seems most everything he lists is overpriced.

Rotor

Detail Associates make the plate style lift rings, for locomotive pilots & the like. They're taller, and beefier.

well i picked up a set of athearn side frame stancions. they came in a pack of 36. So i'll trim them to size and slide the brass rod thru the eye. We'll see how they work out.

It frigging slop-tastic! :eek:
And the photos are too tiny! Yet it has a bid? WTF?

People like that make a mockery of the concept 'custom'. 20 min BS job on each car? And you want how much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the E-bay listing I saw a couple of weeks ago was enough for me to think that from now on I'll just go onto the site for the humor of it. Someone had taken an old HO Akane brass AC cab-forward, dis-assembled it down to the last screw in the last eccentric gear and was listing everthing SEPARATELY. So, for about 15 or 16 separate bids, you could have yourself a cab-forward to put back together again, for at least FOUR times the price that a used Akane would normally go for--that is assuming that you won the bids on each separate item. Almost sprained my eyelids blinking, LOL! :confused:

Do some of these people REALLY think that we just crawled out of the corn patch? :(

Tom

Actually, the E-bay listing I saw a couple of weeks ago was enough for me to think that from now on I'll just go onto the site for the humor of it. Someone had taken an old HO Akane brass AC cab-forward, dis-assembled it down to the last screw in the last eccentric gear and was listing everthing SEPARATELY. So, for about 15 or 16 separate bids, you could have yourself a cab-forward to put back together again, for at least FOUR times the price that a used Akane would normally go for--that is assuming that you won the bids on each separate item. Almost sprained my eyelids blinking, LOL! :confused:

Do some of these people REALLY think that we just crawled out of the corn patch? :(

Tom

Oh man, I've seen this happen as well. There is a Canadian seller that parts out old Athearns right down to separating the worm gear from the plastic link. It would be one thing if the parts were all new, but this stuff is all used! Argh, it's like a model railroad "chop shop". :)

Mark

Back