10' x 16' Train Building

majordad

First of all, I own "N Scale".

I haven't ordered it but, I have the pad ready for the building. It will be 10' x 16' with a 36" exterior door w/windows in door. I am not sure I am going to have any other windows. A regular double hung will interfere with benchwork. I am going to have plenty of LED shop lights for lighting.....that could be up for discussion.

I am going to post a couple of pictures of possible benchwork configuration. One is a U shaped 9'5" x 15'5" x 9'5" The second is more of G shape. I want maximize my wall space.

I will build a workstation on casters that will fit under the trains. I am thinking 46"-48" high for benchwork. It is going to be 30"'s deep. I have a step stool that should give me the extra reach necessary. I am concerned about the radius of the curves.

I am open to suggestions/criticism. I would like to order the building Thursday.

Attachments

• Benchwork11.jpg
    Benchwork11.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Benchwork 13.jpg
    Benchwork 13.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 70
My benchwork in a "U" shape configuration is 42" tall and 24" across in most areas. I do have 34" along one wall that was added. Which curves are you worried about. I easily have 28" curves in HO on my roughly 9' X 10' layout. But I do have lift-outs across the open end of the "U". Looks like nice space in either configuration.

My benchwork in a "U" shape configuration is 42" tall and 24" across in most areas. I do have 34" along one wall that was added. Which curves are you worried about. I easily have 28" curves in HO on my roughly 9' X 10' layout. But I do have lift-outs across the open end of the "U". Looks like nice space in either configuration.
The radius at the ends of the U, or wherever the trains make the “turn-around”. I have never had space like this.

In N scale, you need to decide what radius will suit your running style and needs. Is this to be a closed loop, single or double main? Will it be end-to-end with no turning capability? Then, build benchwork to suit.

If I were in N scale, I would want curves on the main to be not less than 15", but those are considered 'broad' curves. Not really, but that's what the literature seems to insist is so. In my HO world, anything less than 33" is too small, and most of mine are between 36" and 46". I have an around-the-room arrangement, so I can have broad curves at each end of my 9X19' room. In N, that would be between 16.5 and 23".

You might find some of my early discussions interesting,..
https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-please-design-a-dbl-deck-layout-in-its-own-hand-house-shed.29493/

Objective:
I want to build a double-deck, around-the-wall, peninsula style layout in a 12x16 shed I have prepared for the job.

I have picked out two plans that I found among many that I had saved over the years from magazines, particularly Model Railroader *. A combination and modification of these two layout plans should produce what I am looking for. I realize there are any number of computer aided programs that have come into existence to help with layout planning, but at my older age, I'm not real excited about taking a great deal of time to learn how to use these computer programs. I'm hoping some folks with that sort of knowledge will come forward and help me plan the layout, and visualize it with 3d images before I begin final construction.

...mine is HO scale, so your shed should be less of a problem of condensing

BTW, you might find this 'cardboard mock-up' interesting,..
https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-please-design-a-dbl-deck-layout-in-its-own-hand-house-shed.29493/page-4#post-414100

https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-please-design-a-dbl-deck-layout-in-its-own-hand-house-shed.29493/page-4#post-414101

I am still very undecided about what to do. I have never had this much space for my trains. A 16' x 10' building is so much more than I ever dreamed......I am seriously considering a 4' x 8' on casters for starters. I could play around with the trains and different ideas before I start to build my around the room layout. I have a very difficult time visualizing what I want to do. However, I think that I have a very good idea that will help; there is small town that is near the area I want to model. There was a "brick plant" in this town for more than 70 years. I think that modeling that brick plant could be key for me to move forward and develop the layout west of this town. The railroad runs very close to where the brick plant was located and, it runs along/parallel to the river and then, a few miles up the road, the railroad goes through a tunnel and then crosses the river. This is the area I want to model. My great uncle was killed in a train accident just west of the river crossing in 1913. He and my grandpa both worked for the B&O Railroad.

Sounds like you have some great starting points. You may want to pin down an era and also look at what is available in N scale as far as locomotives, etc.

Getting the benchwork done and gathering interesting images may also aid in solidifying some plans.

If you are going B& O, they may have a historical association, or city or state historical societies may have interesting images for additional inspiration.

If modern-day, looking at Google earth images can also spur your imagination.

I look forward to watching!

Dave LASM

Back