1/87th Vehicles

With a little work and a few bucks you can improve the MB stuff conciderably.

Get some A-Line or Herpa wheel sets and change out the wheelsand tires for a HUGE improvment in the looks of the trucks.

I can understand changing wheels on the fire trucks, but what I'm afraid of is that the wheelwells on the trucks will be way oversize for the smaller wheels. I would like to see a photo from someone that already did a wheel change. I'm afraid small wheels in large wheelwells will look too goofy.

I had been looking for that Dump truck for quite awhile. saw it 1 day in a WM, but didn't get it. Then it took me about 3 months to find it again.
This Fire engine is a lot better than some I have now. has a nice sliding ladder boom & a 1/87th bucket. I have so much equipment on the layout now when I see something I always ask myself ""Do I really need to get something else?"".:D:D:D
Technically its a "platform"... Buckets only exist on boom trucks, ladder trucks with the basket, are considered platform aerials.

In any case, I'm working in Wal*mart again, and we don't have any...

I've been lucky this week (for a change).Yesterday at Meijers I found the MB Pierce Quantum aerial ladder.Today at Target I found the Pierce Velocity aerial platform.To bad they are decorated for different fire depts.

Then while standing in the toy aisle talking to my wife about a Christmas present for our youngest grandson I spotted the JCB 726 ADT articulated dump truck.

I have been looking for these for quite awhile.I found it interesting that the latter two trucks are not packaged as Real Working Rigs.

I have plans to repaint both fire rigs (so they match) and letter them for the same fire department.:)

In any case, I'm working in Wal*mart again, and we don't have any...[/QUOTE]

Josh, have you lost your cott'in pick'n mind working for Walmart* again.
Bet you're finding the new rules hard to deal with? Did you start out at your same wages when you left or at the bottom again? I hate to go into my old (where I worked) WM, because people are always asking me when I'm coming back to work & I keep telling them ""NEVER"".:):):)

I,ve just got back home from a three week trip to Pennsylvania. I managed to find several of Matchbox Real Working Rigs, in various Wal-Marts,K-Mart, and Toys-R-Us.
I got most of the trucks for $4.49, but Toys-R-Us were more expensive.

I was at the Railroaders Museum in Altoona one week, and saw the Fire Department using some of their equipment on one of the museums tank cars, the ladder truck is very much like the Matchbox model, apart from having a longer wheelbase.
Ron

I also found a store in Altoona, Neelys Train Store, who sells Lionel trains, plus Norscot models, so I bought three each, Norscot, Peterbuilt and Kenworth trucks, for $5 each. The Caterpillar scraper was $20

I was at the Railroaders Museum in Altoona one week, and saw the Fire Department using some of their equipment on one of the museums tank cars, the ladder truck is very much like the Matchbox model, apart from having a longer wheelbase.
Ron

Ill be willing to bet that perticular model truck is the one that Matchbox patterened thier truck after. The body lines are uncanny and Matchbox sized thiers down for packaging.

picked these up the other day from walmart..
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Some thoughts about changing out the wheels for A-Line or Herpa on the Fire trucks.

I just compared a Herpa tire by itself to the wheel/tire combo on the firetruck.The Herpa tire is (according to my measurements) about 3 scale inches shorter than the MB wheel/tire.

On the asumption that you would disasemble the truck for some detailing I wouls suggest painting the wheels to match the FT body.Leave the center black and chome and just the outer edge of the wheel and if you have the red and white platform truck do the wheels in red.If you have the white ladder truck do the wheels in white.

These are just suggestions so take them for what they are worth to you.:D

Karl, no I needed something different for a change. There are still plenty of switcher projects in the works though. ;)

Made some progress today. Now I just need to paint all of the details.

101_0982.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this International CXT pickup truck today at Asda,one of Matchboxes latest diecast vehicles. It has 1:89 marked on the baseplate so its slightly undersize for HO. It fits in well with my fleet of construction vehicles.
Ron

I'm looking for MCI 102DL3 motorcoches in HO. I have one that was made by Herpa but I need about 5 more. It is in Greyhound scheme with the number 6307 on top. If anybody knows where to get more of these please let me know!

Back