1/87th Vehicles

Eric, what secton of the store did you look for them? Two WM's in this town and I still haven't found them. Forget asking a clerk (duh!).

Rex: Toy isle. They are usually found on the other end of the 'Matchbox' cars isle. They will most likely be on a shelf. The cars come in neat little plastic boxes that are inside a cardboard encasing. These then are usually in a larger box that holds about 30 of 'em. They can be hard to spot. The boxes here are black. I have 3 WM in this area and all of them have them. After Christmas I plan on getting my hands on what's left of 'em.

Sure hope this helps.

Johnny

After months of checking our local Wally World, last Thursday I found the cars only by accident. They were in the toy department but not even close to the toy cars and Hot Wheels display. They were in a black cardboard display at the end of one of the aisles near the dolls. I bought every car they had that was pre-1970.

Good luck on your hunt.

David

Like I said, target the Isle with the boxed motorcycles, thats' where I've found all of mine in 5 stores...

Some of my local WMs have them, the others only have the SKU/price tag on the lip of the shelf, but the manager's are happy to try ordering them if you ask nicely according to the guys at the Atlas forum.

I included some packaging info if that'll help.

I'm in N-Scale, but collect Shelby Cobras in all sizes.
Coincidentally, I just found a newly released Hot Wheels Cobra tonight, too.

I finally found them at both my WM's, but were almost sold out. All I got was a '55 chevy, Porche, and a Karman Gia. They are going to continue handling them and have more on order. I haven't figured out who's buying all of them as there aren't many HO Train people in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
I haven't figured out who's buying all of them as there aren't many HO Train people in the area.
For many years before I became an HO modeler I bought a lot of Mathbox/Hotwheels and other cars, as a result accomplishing a collection of about 200 pieces, pretty usefull for a layout! So its not just modelers who buy these things...

Today, my Walmart is selling the Mini-Metals line like you see in the Walthers catalog. Some can be used for H.O., but most are for larger & "N" scale.
I also found some of the Ertl, John Deere tractors that are small enough for H.O. The toy mgr. told me, "you" ain't seen noth'in yet!! I'll have to make sure I check the toy isle everyday at lunch instead every other day. The new modulars are being set in all the stores, so, you might have to wait till the shelves start filling up before we see any new items.
I also found some of the Athearn JD train sets at a lower price. Originally they were $75.00 & now, they are $59.00 in the closeout isle. There's quite a few left in my store because they put them in the wrong area, not in toys where I told them they would sell. I guess I don't know noth'in about trains & kids. LOL Big kids maybe.

Larry

I found about a display box and a half (~45 cars) tucked away in a corner of an upper shelf at my local Wal-Mart a few days before Christmas. I had to get a price check, as there wasn't a designated spot in the aisle for them. $1.67 each didn't seem bad, so I brought ~15 of them home with me. They also had CAT equipment from Norscot and John Deere tractors from Athearn. I was surprised to see so much 1:87 in a Wal-Mart.

Nate, In the next 6 months or less, there is going to be a lot more 1/87th vehicles, plus 1/72nd & 1/64th. There is going to be an early semi set coming & early flat bed trucks. Those are supposed to be out sometime in Feb. or March. I try to look at the order sheets from the toy dept. as much as I can.
All WM employee's are not supposed to have that luxury, but it helps to have friends in that dept.

larry

Oh hey if you have Shopko they have the Cat tractors too. But they're not as good as the hobby shop verions, less moving parts.

I just now found the Malibu scale cars at Wal-Mart, the funny thing is they were in the smallest area Wal-Mart that happens to be the closest one to me. I'm sure the other ones carry them but I haven't spotted them yet. I didn't buy any because I haven't started building yet and because they were all still there. It looks as though they haven't sold a single one yet. They had four boxes of them and I'm sure they'll still be there next time I go.

Noticed today in my Walmart the cars have gone up in price from $1.67 to $1.97. Still a good price.

Yeah, forgot to mention that Larry... when I bought the last batch I noticed that. Still worth it for the VW bus though!

After getting my fill of the Malibu cars at Walmart, I started picking up some of these "Mini-Machines" that were sitting next to the Malibu cars. These are going for $1.67 each also. The Tractors are a little big, but not as big as the 1/64 scale ones from Ertl. These are just about as wide as the flatcars.
The Combines on the other hand are a little under scale. The grain head is a little too wide for a flatcar, but they pop off easily. As long as you don't mix them together (like I did in the picture) you can probably get away with using them as flat car loads. The quarry dump truck in the background is also a Mini-Machine. Can't argue with $1.67... :D

-Jeff

Back