1/87th Vehicles

Take the last section off the tank, put a pump unit and hose reel back there, extend the front bumper, put a small pedestal/tractor seat on the right side front with a short hose, tool boxes down both sides of the tank and you'll have the trucks we use here at my department.

Thanks for the idea! Would you be able to snap some pics covering 360 degrees of the truck? That way I can make it more prototypical.

Here is some of the pictures of the truck Badguy. Sorry they are not outside, it was 20 degrees this morning and the guys were trying to keep the bays as warm as possible.

here is the rest of them.
Good luck on the build. If you have any questions just let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My latest contribution loosely based on a prototype of an International on an auction site. It's not 100%, but worth showing as I'm moving on to other projects for now.
1-4.png

2-4.png

3-4.png

4-4.png

Those look fantastic. Why didnt you use any of that dark wash I gave you?

Thanks. I haven't weathered anything else yet as of late. I'm trying to bang out a bunch of customs, decal everything, then weathering.

You mean the chevy pick up? The hose reel is from a Boley brush fire body, the portable pump is from Herpa. The pumps come in a box of 3 pre assembled units with black and red molded plastic. I believe it's # 51737. About $10 @ LHS.

The hose reel I just carefully painted white. The hoses are scrap automotive wiring and all connections and angled fittings are scratch built. I hope that helps!

Among other projects on the bench, I received this very nice piece made by Roco today! If all goes as planned, this will be a brush fire water tender or "portable hydrant".

image-8.png

image-9.png

Nice truck, looks nearly like one of the local units that I used to opperate back when I was in the FD my self, all you would really need is the hose hook ups and hoses on either side of the tank (for hooking to pumpers and other water type carriers) and a watter cannon (200 GPM type) on the top about where the big dome is located and it would be a mini version of a brush truck LOL!!! im starting to want to make my own vehicles now!! where do you find your parts at??

I buy most of my parts and details from the local hobby shop (AA hobbies in Warwick, RI) and eBay. This roco tanker I got on eBay. I had to fight for it too. I said I'd never get into fire trucks, but the brush fire bug has bitten me. Probably because there is no way to build one wrong. I'm allowed to use prototypes and my imagination with these little gems of fire apparatus. There's also a considerable amount of kitbashing and scratchbuilding!

Im just about finished up with this one. It could use a spotlight, windshield wipers, and some tools in the back. But overall Im satisfied. Its a Roco Dodge. It came new in the box with a blue lightbar, simulated canvas top, and staked sides on the bed. The new lightbar is made from strip styrene I shaped with a file and painted. The mounting legs are pieces cut form the railings on a Boley brush body. It was inspired by pictures of the old Cape Cod District Fire Patrol trucks.

5-4.png

7-2.png

8-2.png

9-2.png

No. I made it out of sheet styrene. The filler neck is from a sprue of Roco details. Remember, in most cases, the tanks have a rubber barrier between it and whatever it's bolted to. Again, styrene I painted flat black. There's no wrong way to do it my friend. Use your imagination and I personally guarantee you'll end up with a brilliant show piece!

Just think. Herpa made a pretty expensive fuel and lube truck that completely lacks any detail or thought. The tool cabinets in the bottom if the bed are friggin' Lego bricks. Of all things! Don't believe me? Buy one, or I'll show you pics of the one I dismantled.

I buy most of my parts and details from the local hobby shop (AA hobbies in Warwick, RI) and eBay. This roco tanker I got on eBay. I had to fight for it too. I said I'd never get into fire trucks, but the brush fire bug has bitten me. Probably because there is no way to build one wrong. I'm allowed to use prototypes and my imagination with these little gems of fire apparatus. There's also a considerable amount of kitbashing and scratchbuilding!

I guess im gonna have to find me some of these!

Back