1/87th Vehicles

Some out of the Box Cars from NEO Models (32$ each) they use etched details.

Jeep_2.jpg

Jeep_1.jpg

Jeep_3.jpg

Ford_1.jpg

Ford_2.jpg

Yessir. Matchbox Peterbilt cab from a tow/cement/dump truck. I used a hand saw and miter box. Boley frame, wheels/tires, steps, and bed. 100% scratchbuilt plow frame. I bought a handful of these trucks so I can experiment making several of these. It's not perfect, but its close enough, even close enough to 1/87 IMO.

Since this is for 1/87 vehicles, I wanted to share a little something.

I recently purchased one of those Herpa/promotex fuel and lube trucks at a LHS. I paid just under $30 and I see them for much more than that on eBay and such.

Since it was bought for kitbashing, the deconstruction began. Given that its a "custom" in house kitbash already, its cheaply made, the cabs don't look right, and its all tacked together with glue.

Now, I'm not complaining, nor am I upset at the quality, but the big thing to me, was once I removed the under body mounted tool boxes, I couldn't believe my eyes. That's right! The two tool boxes are/were Lego bricks. The two connectors are chopped off (bottom of box) and the open part (top portion) is glued to the underside of the body.

I was a bit surprised, and intrigued. Using these bricks as cabinets is a great idea. It sure beats paying $$$ for something you've planned to chop up, or at the least, trying hard as hell to cut perfect and glue 90 degree angles out of sheet styrene.

In thoughts gentlemen?

Are you sure? That's the truck I built for him too. I tried attaching it the other way, but I couldn't get it to fit.
I use to make front bars for pickups & the rounded bar goes underneath & ties into the frame. The flat part was usually tied into bars that went over the headlites or around the side of the truck to protect the fenders. Originally front truck bars were built to herd cattle with the rounded front by the headlites. I built many of them for Jeeps, way before I started building them for pickups from 1/2 to 1&1/2 ton. That was from 1961 to 1985. I also made Jeep extended beds that slid in the back for hauling branding supplies.:D

My latest contribution loosely based on a prototype of an International on an auction site. It's not 100%, but worth showing as I'm moving on to other projects for now.
1-4.png

2-4.png

3-4.png

4-4.png

Among other projects on the bench, I received this very nice piece made by Roco today! If all goes as planned, this will be a brush fire water tender or "portable hydrant".

image-8.png

image-9.png

Take the last section off the tank, put a pump unit and hose reel back there, extend the front bumper, put a small pedestal/tractor seat on the right side front with a short hose, tool boxes down both sides of the tank and you'll have the trucks we use here at my department.

Back