1/87th Vehicles

This isn't my photo, but I picked this up from the LHS yesterday at half price

tdn90201.jpg

It's a Massachusetts State Police van. It's made by Trident.

Hi! How about this model? Like a copy of the scale or is it a toy?
I have long been thought to buy this model?
What this van is like as detailing?

I just recieved a package of 1/87 scale vehicles from Walthers. I got the Wiking set of three Chevrolet trucks, and I also ordered the three Noch motorcycles (Honda, BMW and Norton). Next time I order from Walthers, I may order the Noch BMW motorcycle with side car.

Blue truck - handsome dude!
By the way - this is a topic motorcycles)))
I want to order!

Jim! What about the people on the layout?

Rustam,

My layout is currently dismantled. The population has been evacuated. I took this picture using a lift out section that never actually made it onto my layout. I need to decide whether I will make the neccessary repairs to the existing layout and replace the track as it was, or posssibly move the layout to a different room and making some changes. For now, there are no people and no trains. The buildings were put in place only long enough to take the photo. And I took the photo on my dining room table.

Hi! How about this model? Like a copy of the scale or is it a toy?
I have long been thought to buy this model?
What this van is like as detailing?

Trident is a German company I believe. It's a scale model, not a toy (the tires kept misaligning!) The light bar on the roof and the mirrors come as separate parts for you to glue on.

Okay! Good job. Where driven this car? what state and county?

The top one resembles airport security/maintenance where I live in New Hampshire. The second one I was going for a volunteer firefighter's Chevy Suburban. Where I live there really any full-time fire departments.

Thank you! Well that is a real model.

I also always try to remove excess glitter. Matt surface (in this case, dust and dirt) makes a similar model to the original.

Poking around a model train swap meet and a found this:
010.png

These must date back to the 60's. they're pretty detailed castings but there's quite abit of work to do to make them presentable.

011.png

I think they're early sixties cars with a few exceptions like the Chrysler imerial which might be a late 50's to early 60's model. The kit also came with a bunch of decals for taxis, police, fire chief and a number of businesses.

Unfortunetly I model 1959 so I probably can only use a few of them.

brekinarevellreduced.jpg

Glen,

The kit of 7 Chryslers dates back to the 1980's. But its a re-issue of the Revell kit from 1961. Originally, these cars were made both in kit form and sold assembled separately. The original releases from the early 60's had chrome grilles and bumpers, and were molded in authentic Chrysler Corporation 1961 colors. All the cars are 1961 models. The original assembled models were actually considered to be "promotional models" for the Chrysler lineup and had alot of Chrysler advertizing on the boxes. They are actually very well detailed for 1961 with legible emblems. I only wish they all had interiors.
Legend has it, that if they had sold real well, they would have done a similar series for each model year, 62, 63...and up. But although they were better than anything else on the market at the time, they were relatively expensive, and didn't sell as well as hoped.
The reissue kit that you have would have been nicer if they had at least chromed the grilles and bumpers. The 2 door Plymouth wagon, unfortunantly isn't as nice as the others as the mold had been damaged at some point before the reissue. One side of the Plymouth wagon is lacking in detail as the repairs to the mold were inadequate.
Still, that kit is a great find, and they can be made into very nice models.
The Valiant wagon would be the only car in that set that would have appeaared exactly as it is in the kit, on the roads in 1959. The Valiant was introduced in late 1959, and there were no styling changes till the 1962 model year when tail lights and trunk lids were changed.
In the background of this photo are the original issue Revell Chryslers. The Global Van Lines truck and the Auto Transporter were also Revell kits from the early 1960's. Here the Revell Auto Transporter carries new 1959 Chevy El Caminos by Brekina. The gold metallic and blue metallic El Caminos just came out and Walthers just recieved them into stock. I just got the blue and gold El Caminos from Walthers lst week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim, I'll probably build the ones that have to 'look' of the late fifties and place them on the layout. I might build the others and place them in a display case. The detail is pretty good all things considered and the 3$ price that I got them for isn't something to sneeze at!
At one time I did have both the truck models as well but I had bought them second hand and neither was up to my standards so I sold them to a fellow modeller. I still have the funiture from the moving truck kit though.

brekinarevellreduced.jpg

Glen,

The kit of 7 Chryslers dates back to the 1980's. But its a re-issue of the Revell kit from 1961. Originally, these cars were made both in kit form and sold assembled separately. The original releases from the early 60's had chrome grilles and bumpers, and were molded in authentic Chrysler Corporation 1961 colors. All the cars are 1961 models. The original assembled models were actually considered to be "promotional models" for the Chrysler lineup and had alot of Chrysler advertizing on the boxes. They are actually very well detailed for 1961 with legible emblems. I only wish they all had interiors.
Legend has it, that if they had sold real well, they would have done a similar series for each model year, 62, 63...and up. But although they were better than anything else on the market at the time, they were relatively expensive, and didn't sell as well as hoped.
The reissue kit that you have would have been nicer if they had at least chromed the grilles and bumpers. The 2 door Plymouth wagon, unfortunantly isn't as nice as the others as the mold had been damaged at some point before the reissue. One side of the Plymouth wagon is lacking in detail as the repairs to the mold were inadequate.
Still, that kit is a great find, and they can be made into very nice models.
The Valiant wagon would be the only car in that set that would have appeaared exactly as it is in the kit, on the roads in 1959. The Valiant was introduced in late 1959, and there were no styling changes till the 1962 model year when tail lights and trunk lids were changed.
In the background of this photo are the original issue Revell Chryslers. The Global Van Lines truck and the Auto Transporter were also Revell kits from the early 1960's. Here the Revell Auto Transporter carries new 1959 Chevy El Caminos by Brekina. The gold metallic and blue metallic El Caminos just came out and Walthers just recieved them into stock. I just got the blue and gold El Caminos from Walthers lst week.

I have at least two if not three of the kits with the Chrysler vehicles squrreled away somewhere.I had planned on using them but then when I chose to model the sream transition era, my date is 1957, I couldn't use them. Eventually I'll come acroos them and will probably put them up on ebay and get rid of tem. They are quite accurate and if finished rigt will make a good addition to any model railroad.

Very nice Jürg, and please let me know what you find out Z!
Here's a couple Athearn trucks I picked up, I'm planning on having them set up at a distillery on the new layout. (when it happens):rolleyes:

Back