1/87th Vehicles

Jim 68cuda!
Thank you! Very good photo! Lots of interesting new models in 1/87 scale.
Thanks for the links to the sites with the news! There I found that even the model of the USSR! ;-)

Jim 68cuda!
Thank you! Very good photo! Lots of interesting new models in 1/87 scale.
Thanks for the links to the sites with the news! There I found that even the model of the USSR! ;-)

Yes, I saw that NEO makes a 1960 Volga wagon http://truckstopmodels.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=5727 . I've never seen a Volga station wagon myself, though there are a couple 60's Volga sedans nearby where I live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC.
Today, on my way home from work, I saw a car at a traffic light that I thought might be Russian. It was a fairly new model with squarish headlights, but it looks alot like an early 60's Fiat 600, but maybe with a bit more squarish body lines. The car I saw today was Not the new Fiat 600 with the retro styling. I only saw the front and side. I didn't see the rear. The front license plate appeared to be long and skinny with black letters on a white background. The wheels were kind of tall and skinny which kind of made me think it might be intended for off road use. Edit: After doing some searching on line, I believe the car I saw today was some variation of a Fiat 126, which is smaller than the Fiat 600 which is sold in the US. I still think it was a Russian version.

Speaking of Russian cars, keep in mind that Herpa makes a couple different 1/87 scale Moskvitch sedans, a mid 60's Volga sedan a 70's Wolga sedan, a Zil fire truck, and a Gaz all terrain vehicle, and Brekina makes a Lada Niva 4x4, Busch makes a Lada sedan (same as a Fiat).

http://truckstopmodels.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=5435

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-23672
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-24334
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-24365
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-23283

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I saw that NEO makes a 1960 Volga wagon http://truckstopmodels.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=5727 . I've never seen a Volga station wagon myself, though there are a couple 60's Volga sedans nearby where I live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC.
Today, on my way home from work, I saw a car at a traffic light that I thought might be Russian. It was a fairly new model with squarish headlights, but it looks alot like an early 60's Fiat 600, but maybe with a bit more squarish body lines. The car I saw today was Not the new Fiat 600 with the retro styling. I only saw the front and side. I didn't see the rear. The front license plate appeared to be long and skinny with black letters on a white background. The wheels were kind of tall and skinny which kind of made me think it might be intended for off road use. Edit: After doing some searching on line, I believe the car I saw today was some variation of a Fiat 126, which is smaller than the Fiat 600 which is sold in the US. I still think it was a Russian version.

Speaking of Russian cars, keep in mind that Herpa makes a couple different 1/87 scale Moskvitch sedans, a mid 60's Volga sedan a 70's Wolga sedan, a Zil fire truck, and a Gaz all terrain vehicle, and Brekina makes a Lada Niva 4x4, Busch makes a Lada sedan (same as a Fiat).

http://truckstopmodels.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=5435

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-23672
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-24334
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-24365
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/326-23283

Jim, Thank you!!!
I guess this one square Fiat

We have only recently appeared on the market model of the Soviet car industry in scale 1:87.
Previously, there were no such models. Who could, he did himself from what could not)))

When I found out that the well-known manufacturers of models will make the Soviet model, was looking forward when they are available.
I bought them as soon as I saw on sale!

In our country, "21 Volga / GAZ-21" is almost an icon! She is loved by all!!!
This car has given people the freedom of movement!

Along the way, so to speak, I want to show you some pictures of this car. Sorry, not the scale)))

These little cars are very similar to each other! Will not wrestle because of them, Jim;-)
I always looked only at the real car! )))

Jim! On your layout (I like your layout) many of these American cars! And these are real cars!

In our country, "21 Volga / GAZ-21" is almost an icon! She is loved by all!!!
This car has given people the freedom of movement!

Along the way, so to speak, I want to show you some pictures of this car. Sorry, not the scale)))

Herpa makes that one in 1/87 scale as a sedan in standard black, police colors, and as a rail inspection car. NEO makes the station wagon version of that car in 1/87 scale.

These are the two Volgas near me in Great Falls, Virginia. In any city in the US where there is a presence of a foreign government, such as with an embassy, it would be very possible to see vehicles that you wouldn't otherwise see. So, here in the Washington, DC area, we have these two Volgas which were never sold new here. Nearby, at Dulles Airport, in Chantilly, VA, the German Air Force has a facility, and both civilian and military German vehicles are visible that would have never been regularly imported to the US. Over in Lexington Park, Maryland, the Royal Australian Air Force has a presence, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some Australian Holdens and Falcons running around that area. Likewise, at American Embassy's and military installations in other countries, you're likely to find American vehicles. Depending on the area you might be modeling, it might be interesting to add a couple foreign transplants that would seem very out of place, such as a couple Volgas sitting at an Exxon station in the Virginia suburbs.
298228_224637660916625_4102230_n.jpg
308328_224637834249941_5476702_n.jpg

Very interesting photos of the Volga! They went to my photo album! You do not mind, Jim?

When I was little, I always loved to travel around the U.S. embassy. There were a lot of beautiful cars. For me it was like going to the exhibition!

There would be 4 "must have" cars on my layout! All would be Camaro's, and all would be 1969! They are the RS, SS, Z/28, and the Yenko!!!! All would be hard-top's, not convertibles!!!! I'd like to see a '79 Camaro Z/28 in H.O. too!!!

There would be 4 "must have" cars on my layout! All would be Camaro's, and all would be 1969! They are the RS, SS, Z/28, and the Yenko!!!! All would be hard-top's, not convertibles!!!! I'd like to see a '79 Camaro Z/28 in H.O. too!!!

You'll just have to make your own 69 Camaro hardtops. Use the Model Power 69 Camaro convertible and add the complete roof off the old Tyco plastic 68 Camaro hardtops. Paint the roof black or white to simulate a vinyl top and you won't need to repaint the whole car.

Any idea what were about the single most commonly seen American cars around the world back in the 60's and 70's? It was the Ford Falcon. If your layout represents North America in the 60's or 70's, you should have a few Falcons around the layout. But the Falcon was also made in Argentina, Australia and other countries. Road Ragers, an Australian company, now makes HO scale 1/87 scale replicas of Australian cars. For those modeling North America in the 60's or 70's, some of these little Australian cars would look right at home. Only the right hand drive position of the steering wheel gives some of them any indication of being from anywhere other than the U.S.
The Road Ragers 1960 Falcon sedan is identical to the US version except for the right hand drive. The 1962 Australian Falcon wagon has a grille that looks very similar to American Falcons from 61 and 63. The 64 Australian Falcon coupe is very close in appearance to the American 63 Falcon Sprint coupe except for a unique grille and tail lights. The 66 Australian Falcon sedan is virtually identical to the American 66-67 Falcon except for the steering wheel.
To my knowledge, the only vendor, in the US, currently stocking the Road Ragers models is Truckstop Models.
You may have noticed the Classic Metalworks 59 Ford sedans in the background. I put them in the photos for those who model Australia. The American 59 Ford sedans were also built in Australia, but as 1961 models.
If your layout is North America in the 60's or 70's, you need some of these Falcon sedans and wagons, so it doesn't look like everyone in town drives a Mustang or a Corvette.

Also from Road Ragers are some Chrysler and GM cars from down under.
GM in Australia is Holden (picture on the right), and there are four Holdens made by Road Ragers. These cars may have been designed in Detroit, but they aren't models that were ever available in the US. The 1948 Holden was a significant car for Australia for its high content of locally made components.
Chrysler of Australia (picture on the left) built and sold alot of Valiants (Plymouth Valiants in the US. The early Australian Valiants like the black 1962 Valiant sedan by Road Ragers, were identical to the American Valiants except for the oposition of the steering wheel. The 1963 Australian Valiant was very much like the American 63-64 Valiant except from the rear of the roof to the rear bumper. The back end was Australian designed, but the rest of the sheet metal was shared with the American Valiant. The 69 Valiant Pacer and the 72 Valiant Charger by Road Ragers represent cars that were never available in the US, however, some of these high performance models are starting to show up in North America as some American collectors have started shipping them over.
Again, I believe Truckstop Models is the only current source in the US for these little diecast cars. The black 62 Valiant and the white 63 Valiant would look right at home on any north American layout.
And if you happen to be modeling Australia in the 60's or 70's, you might also search out the now discontinued Masterpiece Automotive Replicas 1968 Plymouth Fury sedan (not pictured). The same car was assembled and sold in Australia as the 1968 Dodge Phoenix.

Hi! Yes, it's almost 100 percent copies of American designs. But that's only need to change the steering wheel)))

For example I do not have in my collection cars with right-hand drive (not accepted).

Any idea what were about the single most commonly seen American cars around the world back in the 60's and 70's? It was the Ford Falcon. If your layout represents North America in the 60's or 70's, you should have a few Falcons around the layout. But the Falcon was also made in Argentina, Australia and other countries. Road Ragers, an Australian company, now makes HO scale 1/87 scale replicas of Australian cars. For those modeling North America in the 60's or 70's, some of these little Australian cars would look right at home. Only the right hand drive position of the steering wheel gives some of them any indication of being from anywhere other than the U.S.
The Road Ragers 1960 Falcon sedan is identical to the US version except for the right hand drive. The 1962 Australian Falcon wagon has a grille that looks very similar to American Falcons from 61 and 63. The 64 Australian Falcon coupe is very close in appearance to the American 63 Falcon Sprint coupe except for a unique grille and tail lights. The 66 Australian Falcon sedan is virtually identical to the American 66-67 Falcon except for the steering wheel.
To my knowledge, the only vendor currently stocking the Road Ragers models is Truckstop Models.
You may have noticed the Classic Metalworks 59 Ford sedans in the background. I put them in the photos for those who model Australia. The American 59 Ford sedans were also built in Australia, but as 1961 models.
If your layout is North America in the 60's or 70's, you need some of these Falcon sedans and wagons, so it doesn't look like everyone in town drives a Mustang or a Corvette.

Ahh, Falcon memories!
We had a 63 Falcon Futura Sprint, that my parents bought new, and after years of work commuting, and after my older sister tried to kill it at college, it was passed down to me in 1977, with only 382,000 miles on the clock! :eek:
Ran great and still looked good, but within 2 months of me getting my license we found it had a fatal flaw. The rear frame had rusted out and the leaf springs were coming up through the trunk!!:eek:
It was sold, but soon replaced by a 1969 Mustang with a V8!!:D:D:D:D:D
I do have 2 on the layout, but the are plastic ones by Echo.
I need a 2 door hardtop in maroon!

Why a fake Falcon Ranchero?Ford made real ones.AMT had them in 1:25 I've got a few in 1:64 would think somebody would do them in 1:87.(nice to dream huh)

I just love these little Brekinas.

This Volvo could be seen in North America, but this model would not have been from the assembly plant in Halifax Canada, which was the only Volvo assembly plant in North America. I have no idea if Volvo 144s were available in Canada or the US.

Back