1/87th Vehicles

Thanks Ryan , it feel good to be here. Jbaakko, I own the complete line of the Matchbox Premieres and you are absoloutely right!!! Another company with the OVERSIZE 1/87 HO scale was Majorette. They marketed a 600 series line that was suppose to be HO scale:confused::rolleyes:

I was at an Albertsons today and Matchbox has a line out called Convoys. They look 1/87ish but again the big nose and wide grills. They offer (3) vans look like moving vans and (1) Shell tanker with a Mack truck. The tank trailer looks pretty cool:cool:

Hey Guys:
Although you might think those MALIBU trucks are not 1/87 they are as close as you will find because there are to many veriations when ordering a new class 8 tractor for hieght, cab length, wheelbase and so on.
I own several Frieghtliner Century's which is a step up from the Columbia which is one of the models MALIBU offers. The grilles are not correct on all but one of them, the International is correct and the only one licsenced , which is why the grilles are slightly different on the other models.T he orange T600 is the only one that they got the hood wrong on.Again the hieght can be several different measurements depending on tire size and airbags.

So, you're saying they can't be 1:87 because the prototypes can vary? They're a generalization of the trucks and can't possibly be exact 1:87 for all the variations. Add to that the fact that they're not licensed...

Why do I care, I don't...

tandemaxle, I'll have to check them out, I think I remember them from a while back.

So, you're saying they can't be 1:87 because the prototypes can vary? They're a generalization of the trucks and can't possibly be exact 1:87 for all the variations. Add to that the fact that they're not licensed...

Why do I care, I don't...

tandemaxle, I'll have to check them out, I think I remember them from a while back.
What I'm saying is that each model is 1/87 apportioned to the ones that they originally measured for thier models. The liscensing part I don't care about either, as long as I have modern trucks to use on the layout and let me tell you I have some real nice custom Internationals built for J.B.HUNT and SCHNIEDER THANKS TO Malibu.
On the grille issue the Pete and the W900's could actually be called custom grilles as we can buy grilles to match the ones on the MALIBU trucks for the prototypes if we wanted. Imyself just paint them in different designs to match bug screens that I've seen on the real trucks as I pass them.

I also work in the industry and I have driven Columbias, Century classes, XLs and Internationals as well. I admit I don't own any Malibu trucks but have seen them in the store. The detail is not to bad but my question is if they are not exactly 1/87 scale ,how can they market the trucks as 1/87 scale? Is this false advertisement?:confused: For example, Athern, Atlas, Trident and so on sell the models as 1/87 scale and they are right on the money . I don't get it. Please enlighten me!!!!!!!:(

I also work in the industry and I have driven Columbias, Century classes, XLs and Internationals as well. I admit I don't own any Malibu trucks but have seen them in the store. The detail is not to bad but my question is if they are not exactly 1/87 scale ,how can they market the trucks as 1/87 scale? Is this false advertisement?:confused: For example, Athern, Atlas, Trident and so on sell the models as 1/87 scale and they are right on the money . I don't get it. Please enlighten me!!!!!!!:(
Tandemaxle:
As far as I can tell they are 1/87 what I was saying is that we don't know which prototypes they actually took thier measurements from, we would only be guessing if we tried, and they don't advertise them as a certain sleeper and wheelbase version.
They do match Tonkins 1/87 versions as well and Rick assures me that thier models are 1/87.:)

Read this thread 4 - 5 months ago and went immediately to Wally's.

I model the 50's so PT Kruizers, Camaros, Mustangs and F150's don't help me. And when I do find that occasional 55 2dr ht, and bring it home, it ain't a 1:87. I got a whole box full of cars that just don't look right setting side by side. And I am not a rivet counter by any stretch of the word.

When I go to Wally world, IF I see anything that looks like 1:87 or says 1:87 it looks like an Acura, a Jeep Cherokee or an AMC Pacer. I've stopped walking by and hoping to see something that might fit. And, I gave up Wally's as a source of hardware long, long ago.

Hope your trip to Wally's is more productive than mine have been.
Regards,
Joe

Have not heard to much talk about the CAT 1/87 line at WM. I think it's a bulldozer,earthmover, road gradder, skip loader, and oversized dump truck. Not sure if die-cast or not :eek:

Have not heard to much talk about the CAT 1/87 line at WM.
Yes I posted about it before, I have about 6 of them. They are die cast, Guess I'll just have to watch for a road grader and the truck. Let's see Bulldozer, 420E back hoe loader, front end loader darned if I can remember right now. Doesn't say 1/87 on the box but they're close enough "Construction Minis"
Willis

Ah! from page 48
Construction Mini's, small enough, Norscot scale model, but no scale marked on them. $2.92 ea figured I couldn't lose so I took 4; 2 Cat 315C L Excavators; Cat D5G dozer; Cat 906 Wheeled Front Loader.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to send a thank you to atlas7736 for taking time out of his day to deliver two Mercury Bobcats to me. No kidding, he emailed me to let me know he was in town (actually about a two mile drive from my house), so we arranged to meet. Bryan (atlas7736) is an OTR trucker, so what are the odds he'd be here? I don't know, but I am fortunate for certain!

By the way, Bryan is an outstanding modeler. Maybe we can persuade him to post some photos of his trucks on the forum. There's a flat top conversion he's made to a Malibu truck that will knock your socks off.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person, Bryan. Thank you very much for bringing me the cars.

P.S. Enid, huh? That's Champlin Oil country!

Yes I posted about it before, I have about 6 of them. They are die cast, Guess I'll just have to watch for a road grader and the truck. Let's see Bulldozer, 420E back hoe loader, front end loader darned if I can remember right now. Doesn't say 1/87 on the box but they're close enough "Construction Minis"
Willis

Ah! from page 48
Construction Mini's, small enough, Norscot scale model, but no scale marked on them. $2.92 ea figured I couldn't lose so I took 4; 2 Cat 315C L Excavators; Cat D5G dozer; Cat 906 Wheeled Front Loader.

Willis, my store has never had the 1/87th big truck in any of the asst's that have been hanging up in that area. Although I do have a few from other mfg.'s.

I'm off for the next month & won't get in my store much, but the toy dept. mgr. was doing the new Mod. yesterday when I went in to turn in my paperwork for an LOA. She said there was a whole bunch of new 1/87th vehicles that were going to be on the new Mod. Probably talking about the ones that have already been in everyone else's store for a month or 2.
She said there was going to be a ton of price changes, some up, some down. I figured since WM was going to cut the prices on 16,000 items in each store the 1/87th vehicles should be in there somepalce.
Since I ripped out my layout I really don't need much unless it's out of the ordinary. I counted up my 1/87th cars when I was packing up the layout & I have about 175 cars & trucks. Most I got for; 2 for a dollar when they were on sale. About 75 pieces of heavy equipment. 158 semi's & about 50 containers.

Larry

Thanks Ryan , it feel good to be here. Jbaakko, I own the complete line of the Matchbox Premieres and you are absoloutely right!!! Another company with the OVERSIZE 1/87 HO scale was Majorette. They marketed a 600 series line that was suppose to be HO scale:confused::rolleyes:
Any chance you can take pictures of the complete line, or at least give me a list? I'm trying to add it to my "Value HO Scale Vehicles" article on model railroad tips.

Back