Search results

1. J

Correct pressure for airbrush?

Well "technically" the more you thin the paint and lower its viscosity,the lower you can run the psi on your airbrush. Most paints have limits to how much you can think them (excluding maybe water colors or maybe super thinned oil paints?).Not sure I'd airbrush artist oils although I had...
  2. J

Absolutely(unless you added a retarded to it) you have a little more time,but you should fully break down and clean your airbrush every time you are done using it because if you don't(as you said) the paint dries and it is harder to clean.
  3. J

Have you ever thinned it more than 25%(excluding washes).Just out of curiosity.
  4. J

Flattening powders added to hobby enamels?

Has anyone ever attempted to add "flattening powders" to hobby enamels like Model Master enamels or Floquil enamels to "dull down" the glossy paints to make them more semi-gloss or flat?I haven't done it or tried it and the amount I expect would be so small...I'm not sure how to measure that...
  5. J

As Alan said,depends on the paint and how much it was thinned(or how much you can thin it). I've seen urethane paints airbrushed at 7psi,but that's an entirely different animal. Acrylics,enamels and even lacquers have their maximum you can thin them before the paint lacks any adhesive or...
  6. J

Reviving old Floquil and its other brands identifying solvents on labels "best way to store" Floquil paints,restoring them with "additives?"

Well,I will have to see what happens if I open up a couple of those bottles and add a couple drops of Dio Sol to them.So,I guess adding any Glaze or Retarder to and of the paints is not recommended? Mainly,I bought the Retarder so when I do use a 1oz.(or one of my 2oz. bottles) and don't use all...
  7. J

Reviving old Floquil and its other brands identifying solvents on labels "best way to store" Floquil paints,restoring them with "additives?"

So,I'm attempting to star a new subject but I do realize it stems from a "main one" and that is the old Floquil brand paints themselves.I'll try to keep my quarries simple as I prefer it that way,but questions.Questions,questions yes I have questions.I will try to stay in order and resist the...
  8. J

Bringing Floquil back to life

GeeTee,I PM'd you (or at least I think I did?)
  9. J

On a parting note(and I'm not sure where to post this?),but would anyone be interested in either buying or trading some NOS Flowquil paint?The guy I bought from sent me 4 1oz. bottles I did not ask for,so I'm stuck with 2 1oz. bottles ea.; Milwaukee and Uplight Orange.These are still "old...
  10. J

That's a good example thank you. I've recently bought some Floquil from someone.Not exact;ly what I was hoping for. I've a really OLD Penn. Green,it seemed to want to mix despite the pigment(like the other) is settled to the bottom.A couple other perplexed me.I have a Gray/Green, think its GN...
  11. J

True.If I open the bottle,I'm gonna try to see if it will mix up with the Micro Mark mixer.I might as well.If it mixes up and looks like muddy grit,it may not be any good unless the addition of Acetone or Dio Sol completely liquifies it and cures properly.If it liquifies it enough and I strain...
  12. J

So...take like a "core sample" and mix with acetone to see if it liquifies or use Dio Sol?Then see if it cures,or how it cures?
  13. J

Well,to the best of my knowledge,this bottle has never been opened and as I described,the solvent inside has separated from the pigment.I have shaken it up vigorously in an attempt to agitate the paint,laid it on its side-nothing so far.I'm including some pictures,its a little hard to see(not...
  14. J

Yeah,I have heard of guys doing that.a small nut&bolt or small ball bearing to help shake&mix up paint.I'd be a little concerned about "breaking" the glass bottle.Allot of my bottles are still closed/sealed and never been opened,so I'm not ready to open them up yet to drop a 1/4 nut inside...
  15. J

Well,I guess I'll see how easy it mixes when I open it?Maybe I'll end up combining it with a fresher bottle of the same color,but the pigment is packed pretty solid.Won't even budge with vigorous shaking.Yeah,I know Xylene is about as close as there is to Dio Sol.I just have 4 1/2oz. of actual...
  16. J

Is it possible to bring "old" Floquil back to life?I have an old NOS bottle of Flowquil,never opened and the pigment appears to have separated from the solvent and is pretty well settled to the bottom of the bottle.The bottle is about 50% pigment and about 1/3 or so of liquid/solvent inside a...
  17. J

Using Floquil and the Dio Sol question

Last question I promise unless it sparks further conversation?Is there also any advantage to using the Floquil "Retarder" in any of the paint either while thinning it down for use and/or for storage?Granted,I really don't know how to use the retarder as an additive.I don't believe there are any...
  18. J

OK,I was just curious about whether or not is mattered using a product that would be "purer" because I have been told the same about "lacquer thinner" and that using a purer automotive lacquer solvent lacks the impurities in say..."a hardware store brand" thus making it "superior" in some way.As...
  19. J

Hi Alan,many thanks for adding your 2 cents to this thread.I'm not sure if I can buy Xylene or not in CA.?.I actually have not looked(yet). Would you say that buying it from a hardware store would suffice or would you recommend finding the solvent and getting a purer source from a different...
  20. J

So,I'm new here (yes) and I'm sure I am beating a dead horse as this I suspect has been a deeply discussed subject.I have accumulated a fair amount of Floquil paints and as many of you are already aware of,Dio Sol is next to impossible to find unless you stock piled it.The small volumes of it...

Back