Search results

1. I

Is Lionel just Lionchief and Legacy now?

In the 2003 catalog, the one I happen to own after all these years, one can find ready to run sets like the New York Central Flyer and Pennsylvania Flyer. These lacked features we associate with O scale today, such as Railsounds and TMCC, but came at a cheap $200 and were compatible with the CW...
  2. I

Kato unitrack and DCC

From what I saw in this video, Unitrack is very easy to install. You simply attach a rail connector with a wire soldered in, and then plug it into the power pack, assuming of course, you're using Kato's DC transformer. But then, say I use a third party transformer for DCC, like Bachmann's EZ...
  3. I

Selling my old track

Bachmann's EZ track isn't working for me so I'm considering switching to Kato Unitrack. However, when I make the switch I'll have to get rid of my Bachmann track to make space and a little extra cash. I can't just throw them out after all. Are there any good places that will at least offer store...
  4. I

What to do with spare track?

As I changed my layout's track plan a few times to figure out what worked best with the resources I had, I found myself with a lot of spare track that I have no idea what to do with them. What do you guys do? I hear some people have a reserve of spare track for when they need it, but it feels...
  5. I

Bachmann's EZ Track Turnouts

Earlier this week I purchased a DCC crossover turnout for Bachmann's EZ Track (HO scale) and noticed an issue where an engine loses power once they reach the track and comes to a complete stop. I haven't determined if it was a power thing or a DCC configuration thing, especially since I wasn't...
  6. I

Between NYC's Dreyfuss Hudson and Empire State Express, which look do you prefer?

One is an all gray model with a blue streak across the tender emphasizing the front with the line that goes down the nose. The other is a black and silver stainless steel engine that emphasizes the horizontal with its paint scheme, and a silhouette that almost resembles the N&W J. At the time...
  7. I

Pre-made passenger stations

Today I made the goof of purchasing an Amtrak station kit by Walthers not realizing I had to build it myself, ironically after I passed on another Walthers product for the fact that I would have to build it. Now I did attempt to build it, in fact I think I may have gained a new skill in plastic...
  8. I

Same loco, different scale

Last week I decided I needed to expand my HO scale locomotive lineup beyond two GS4s, a Pennsy Alco and B&O switcher. After some searching I found a GG1 in Amtrak, single stripe and purple livery all at a good price. The catch is I already have an Amtrak GG1 in O scale. Some of the pieces for...
  9. I

Stainless Steel Buildings

Think about those silver and red buildings from the 50's with stainless steel walls that would often be passed off as "futuristic." Some were mostly built out of old railroad car bodies, and they're mostly found in the modern world as old fashioned diners like the one in the attached photo. With...
  10. I

Newer and simpler track plan

In an attempt to rebuild the layout I haven't touched in years, I went with something way too ambitious, which cause a few issues which I feel like would be irrelevant for this post. So today I put together a much simpler track plan for about half the space. Originally I had an 8x8 space...
  11. I

Rectangular bases for HO layouts larger than 4x8

This is mostly directed at HO but I think it might also apply to smaller scales too. Not sure on that. Assuming I disassemble the O scale layout I currently have running, I'll have an 8x8 square tabletop space to work with. So I check the internet for some track plans that could work in this...
  12. I

HO vs O Scale situation

I know the title might not exactly be the most accurate, as I have a lot to talk about here. So starting with the situation, I'm about two weeks into rebuilding an O scale layout which I haven't touched since leaving for college (I come back during breaks, and I was home all year due to the...

Back