Search results

1. K

Replicating real life

I was out for a walk a couple days ago when I saw this train stopped on the CSX River Line that passes near where I live: It then occurred to me that I had exactly the cars that were in this photo so I tried my hand at replicating this photo on my layout:
  2. K

Town and country - automated N-scale layout

With Woodlawn Industrial Park beginning to wind down, its fun to start thinking about my next layout! Just to be clear, this project is still in the very early stages. I will not be able to get started with this project in any significant way until well into 2022. Anyway, let’s start with some...
  3. K

Unable to read CVs from an ESU LokPilot v4 with DecoderPro

I am baffled: have a very standard and simple LokPilot v4 decoder installed in a locomotive (this has no sound). And yet for some reason, DecoderPro is unable to read the CVs from the decoder. I have a Digitrax DCS 200 (which I bought in 2012) and am connected via a LocoBuffer USB. I was able to...
  4. K

Woodlawn Industrial Park (was Northeastern HO scale switching layout)

After four long months of home renovation, my new train room is finally ready for action. I plan to kick thing off by building an HO scale switching layout. This layout is going to be roughly contemporary so I can run modern equipment. It will be set somewhere in the northeast, perhaps...
  5. K

Using linear servos as switch motors

These gadgets have become new favorite toy. This is a linear servo intended for use in radio controlled airplanes. I am planning to use these as switch motors in my new layout. They have several advantages: They are easy to control from a Raspberry Pi using GPIO pins. You move the control arm...
  6. K

Long-time model railroader looking for some fun discussions

I have been a model railroader for a very long time. I live in a suburb of New York City. I worked in software research (in the field of AI) for many years and have recently retired. I am really interesting in figuring out ways to use computers and electronics in model railroading. I started...

Back