Search results

1. B

Ho scale grapple hooks

I’m not sure if this is the right section for this post. I am working on the logging portion of my layout and am looking for grapple hooks. Google search and the bay didn’t have many options. Anyone have other sources or ideas?
  2. B

How to distinguish 2 similar locos

I have two UP GP7’s with different numbers but they are easy to confuse when operating. What is the best prototypical way to identify them from operating distance? Roof numbers or other ideas?
  3. B

Walthers switch machines

Anyone using the switch machines from Walthers? I have installed a bunch and I am using the fascia push button controls. I have had several (4) which have quit working dependably. Some require multiple pushes of the button. Some will require power cycling to get them to work and some have quit...
  4. B

DCC & pizza cutters

I have a pretty nice collection of old Rivarossi steam locomotives from the late 60s. All have pizza cutter wheels (oversize flanges). I'm a little apprehensive about going the dcc route. When I see the locos run in low light, I will sometimes see some sparks when going though turnouts. Not...
  5. B

Switchyard ideas

I have most of the track work done but am working on the last area. The switchyard. Before anyone comments, I know I should have at least 2 access points but that is not possible. This switchyard requires backing from the main line but doable for 1 train at a time. Anyway, my switchyard is...
  6. B

Topside creeper

Here is my homemade topside creeper. Couldn't use the commercial ones as my layout is on base cabinets and have no space under the layout for the legs. I used an articulating ladder, which I already had, and bought some u bolts and pipe flanges. I had to blow the dust off the old barbell weights...
  7. B

Another Walthers switch machine question

I am using the terminals on the side (C, NO, NC) to power the frogs but have been unable to locate the correct connector. I have been using 3/16 female crimp type which will work, but where can I find the correct connectors?
  8. B

Walthers switch machines

I have installed several of the switch machines and really like their ease of setup and adaptability. When using newer locomotives, they work flawlessly. My problem occurs when using my 60's versions of Rivarossi steam. I have several including the Big Boy. These locos will randomly cause the...
  9. B

Dual controller question

Ok, this may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. My layout is a DC single track bent dog bone with two reverse loops which allow a train to run around the layout in either direction. If my reverse loops (the red ones) are isolated from the main loop electrically can't I run those...
  10. B

63 year old kid

Back in the late 60's, my dad and I had a pretty large basement layout. He was the brains of the operation and I was the learning kid. Well, life got in the way and eventually the layout was torn apart but all the rolling stock and locomotives were retained. This fairly large inventory is now in...

Back