Search results

1. W

Traverser Table - Demo and Construction Videos

After building 3 versions, my opinion is that to build a longer one and retain the rigidity I got would require more than 1 linear actuator. If true, that makes the control program much harder and getting everything in synch might be tricky. I read some info on a table that was 8 ft long and...
  2. W

Traverser Table - Demo and Construction Videos

I've built a 3-track traverser table that is driven by a custom Arduino program that drives a linear actuator and is controlled via a Nextion touchscreen panel. Link to a video demonstrating it in action: Link to a video describing the construction:
  3. W

Some New YouTube Videos about preparing and installing Peco turnouts and the twistlock motor

I’ve posted a couple of new videos dealing with installing Peco turnouts. The first video demos how to prepare your Peco turnout for installation on a DCC layout. I took the good descriptive info from a couple of sites and turned that into a “how-to” video. We show you how to add some jumpers to...
  4. W

How to Make Homabed

I am not willing to make any homabed for others for many reasons including: liability, taxes (and the hassle of paying them), setting up for mass production, unknown cost of shipping (or more precisely my lack of desire to calculate shipping on such odd size stuff), etc. I'm retired and have no...
  5. W

How to Make Homabed

There's no question that I'm spending more money and time than using cork. So, why bother? Because of the advantages that I believe homasote offers over cork. I'm willing to make the investment. If one agrees that the tradeoffs are valid, then I'm supplying a path to get some pretty good...
  6. W

How to Make Homabed

I have not tried making this exact profile. However, it would be super simple because putting on the shoulder angle, and keeping all pieces the exact same width, is the hard part. I can dial my table saw down to 1/8" and it would be repeatable. So, you would cut your big sheets into...
  7. W

Benchwork Construction - My Lessons Learned

I've finished the benchwork on my layout and wanted to share my thoughts on what I've learned. These are only my opinions and not the 10 Commandments from On High. I use poplar for 1X stock (1x2, 1x3, 1x4) and yellow pine for 2X stock. I don’t use white pine. Reasoning: poplar, in particular...
  8. W

How to Make Homabed

I'm assuming you are asking how I collect the dust at the table saw and feed it to the dust collector. If you buy a nice table saw these days, you might be fortunate enough to have it come with some dust collection ports built in. My saw is decades old, which is a common state for many of us...
  9. W

How to Make Homabed

Very good information. There are a lot of very good dust collection systems which will fill the bill and aren't as big or as expensive as the one I showed in the video. You may find some YouTube videos saying you can make yours for just a few bucks but I would do some research and find a...
  10. W

How to Make Homabed

I've not tried that. I know it is quite feasible since doing so actually requires you to perform one less step: cutting the bevel. I've read that some people prefer that style because it lets the ballast "fall" at a more realistic angle. Personally, I like using the 45 degree bevel because...
  11. W

How to Make Homabed

A narrower table saw blade will reduce the amount of dust simply because you are removing less material but it will still tend to spray everywhere.
  12. W

How to Make Homabed

Even though I use 2 types of saws in the video, I'm assuming you are referring to the table saw blade. I use a table saw with a 1/8" kerf to make the 4 basic cuts. Then I use a scroll saw with a pretty thin kerf blade to cut the slits. A 1/8" table saw blade kerf is pretty standard. Thus...
  13. W

How to Make Homabed

I've created a YouTube video showing you how to make Homabed: How to Make Homabed

Back