Search results

1. oldstuff

3-D Printers

Pretty well all of the makers here in the UK doing high quality short run kits are using Photons now. Finish is better than Shapeways for much less cost.
  2. oldstuff

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Wasn't it just. It still has the two pages of paint colour swatches at the back intact. Possibly the best thing I've bought this year.
  3. oldstuff

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

After much appealing for enlightenment on forums I was getting nowhere fast finding out about pre-war Pennsylvania passenger car painting and lettering. 5000 copies of "Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Car Painting and Lettering" were published by the PRTHS in 1988, so what were the chances of...
  4. oldstuff

What car at the tail of a consist pre WW2?

Excellent info! Thanks for all this. This is a real help. Not having room for a giant layout (This is the UK, and my house is a cottage built in the 1790s) I'm working up a passenger shifting layout. A what the heck? I hear you ask. You can see the end of a terminal. Trains come in, but you...
  5. oldstuff

What car at the tail of a consist pre WW2?

I'm used to UK practice, where each independent section of a train needed a guard, either in a seperate van, or in a special compartment in a passenger/brake carriage, either at the rear or in the middle of the train, but I'm not clear what US practice in the steam era was (specifically 30s...
  6. oldstuff

Looking for PRR Fleet of Modernism colour scheme details

You are probably right. If I find a source here in the UK I will just have to bite the bullet.
  7. oldstuff

Thanks Boris and Rico. I had these links and the diagrams are an absolutely invaluable resource, but no paint scheme details there.
  8. oldstuff

Thanks for this guidance, I'm new to this forum. Different places have different paces!
  9. oldstuff

I found a source online for a measured plan of the Fleet of Modernism paint scheme, but failed to bookmark it. The only image I have is too low res to see the measurements. Anyone know where the site is? Or can point me to the measurement info?
  10. oldstuff

1930s Passenger Car liveries?

I know that the Pennsylvania has a fairly bright Tuscan Red in the 30s, and that several roads used Pullman Green, but were there any 1st Class Roads whose cars carried other colour schemes in the 30s?
  11. oldstuff

Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

I hope this is appropriate for a coffee shop: it is wake up and smell the coffee time here in the UK. Luckily I have a stack of Athearn, Bowser and other antiques in need of upgrading as the Prime Minister has just spoken to the nation via the BBC to tell us we are joining Italy and Spain and...
  12. oldstuff

Who ran these diesels in 1939/40?

Again thanks for all the input. My diesel roster, (bought to comply with Chicago's new smoke regulations) on my proposed layout which falls in the date range 1937-40 is/will be as follows: I.C.R.R. Alco 600 #9006 bought 1935 (a modified Atlas) E.J&E.R. EMD NW2 #401 bought 1937 (a modified...
  13. oldstuff

Thanks for all this info. My project began some years back and has slowly been mutating. I bought a fair amount of stuff when I was working (and had money but no time). Now I'm retired I'm gradually refining my ideas. I just sold a couple of musical instruments which has led to some railway...
  14. oldstuff

I'm trying, without much success, to find out who was running EMD SW1 and EMD NW2 shifters in 1939/1940. I have the feeling that the EJ&E had NW2s 403-407, but can't find any proof online. I'm particularly interested in any lines operating into and round Chicago.
  15. oldstuff

Fitting DCC in an old Athearn diesel?

Thanks Espeefan. Just the confirmation I needed.
  16. oldstuff

Fitting DCC in an old Athearn diesel?

I have an Athearn EMD SW7. Looks like one of the motor contacts routes through the chassis. Any hints on fitting a decoder? Initial thoughts are just to insulate the lower motor contacts, which are metal strips, underneath the motor from the chassis. The upper ones (the white wires) would just...
  17. oldstuff

Anyone have a Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 w/DCC & Sound?

And there is an example of a fair model of just this loco from Rivarossi
  18. oldstuff

Show us your kit-bashed structures

Well after joining MRF to get knowhow on US railroad modelling I realised that just being a lurker was too lazy. I'm nowhere near completing a layout (HO) but here is a kitbashed structure that is supposed to sit up against the backscene. The center is pretty standard Walthers plastic, and the...

Back