Search results

1. J

Getting a copy of the Ward City Mead & Eckley trackplan

Thanks for that, but that wasn't quite what I was driving at. I had got as far as the page, looked at the image, and said "that was drawn in RTS, I'm sure of it!" So, does anybody have a copy of the RTS file? Having that would make my life a lot easier. ;) Joseph.
  2. J

Getting a copy of the Ward City Mead & Eckley trackplan

Hey all. I, after a lot of soul-searching, want to use all the spare track I have lying about my place, and very much like the Ward City Mead & Eckley that was submitted to SpaceMouses 2007 4x8 Layout Design competition. Does someone have a copy of the trackplan? From what I've seen, it...
  3. J

14 degree diamond crosings

.....Sigh As often happens in these things, I did some more experimentation, and made a 12.5 degree crossing fit. Next please.....
  4. J

14 degree diamond crosings

I was wondering if anybody out there knew if it were possible to purchase 14 degree diamond crossings. The track plan I am trying to put together requires specifically a 14 degree crossing. Try as I might, I can't get a 12.5 or 19 degree crossing to work. If there isn't such a thing, I'll...
  5. J

4 x 8 for Entry in Contest

Fair enough, but you don't generally run 60' or greater cars on a 4x8, because the look ridiculous on 18" or 20" curves. so you can have slightly tighter clearances ;)
  6. J

From the looks, there's about 1.5" clearance there, which should be enough, I think. 'Sides which, it just means you've got an extra challenge trying to get a train past a building without removing any bricks :D @SpaceMouse: Thanks a lot! I am looking forward to seeing the finished result. I...
  7. J

Can I use that plan, Chip? I have been looking at a 4x8 that doesn't use grades, and still has plenty of variety, and that does it all in spades! Well done! Edit: What planning software did you use to create that?
  8. J

best 4x8 layouts...

You're right guys. I was a bit vague with my question, so I'll add in my 2 cents worth as regards what I think a good 4x8 plan is. See attached plan below for my angle on the argument. I think it's good because - * Through view blocks (trees, buildings, mountains, etc), the layout is...
  9. J

best 4x8 layouts...

Maybe people don't think like I do, but that sounds like a challenge - what's the best (by consensus) 4x8 plan that can be built? Most people would say "Why?", but I say "Why not?" I personally derive a challenge from getting the best out of a situation where there are limitations of some...
  10. J

best 4x8 layouts...

At last! A discussion about 4x8s that doesn't have people shooting the post down in flames! I've posted the layout I intend doing on this thread, and agree with MaxiTrax that buildings and the like are the most difficult things to incorporate in a decent 4x8. By the way, Maxitrax, I was...
  11. J

Code 83 curved turnouts

Thanks for the insight on that. I have never used them myself, so it's interesting to hear other peoples viewpoints. Yes, there are 2 curved turnouts on the plan, and the Walthers 24/20 turnout is equivalent to a #6.5. Given the room I have, I think a curved turnout is the way to go, but I'll...
  12. J

Code 83 curved turnouts

Not sure this is the exact place to put this question, but... I am looking thru plans yet again, and have seen the attached thumbnail from a book of plans by John Armstrong. For many and various reasons, it appeals to me greatly, and I thought I'd investigate further. I'm stuck, however, on...
  13. J

1/87th Vehicles

@breadandsteel: thanks for the link. The car looks a bit cheesy, but if I can;'t find anyhting else, I'm sure I'll make do. Cheers. Joseph.
  14. J

1/87th Vehicles

Just had a look. Darn, what a difference a year makes! Curse the sonofagun who invented the fastback! Oh well, I'll keep trawling. Thanks for the link, anyhow.
  15. J

1/87th Vehicles

Does anybody know if you can get the General Lee, or at least a Dodge Charger, in 1/87 scale? I want to use one on my layout, and can only find then in 1/60. Suggestions appreciated. Joseph.
  16. J

ambitious? noob plan

Thanks for your thoughts, Chip. That's a very impressive layout in a small space. Well done. You are right in what you are saying about the 2x8. There are quite a few shelf-type layouts which I would build - it's just the idea of being able to add a loop as well seemed a good idea. I have...
  17. J

ambitious? noob plan

Hello to all. I am trying to get a railroad trackplan going, and have been forever starting something, only to stop and decide on something better to do. I read the last post on this page, and the advantages that it seemed to have were to me very great. I spent some time messing around...

Back