Search results

1. A

Forney Fails, Following Fall....

Unfortunately, Mr Bachman is a long way from Australia. Most items I purchase ex Stateside are usually very reasonably priced, and just lately, getting even better with the AU$ against the Greenback, hey blokes? :) The biggest killer for me, is the freight charges. Most of the time you...
  2. A

Hi Jim, Many thanks for your suggestion. No, the Bachmann Spectrum Forney has power pick up on the trailing bogie wheels as well as the drivers. Subsequently, the king pin assembly is hollow, in order to carry the two fine collector wires running from the wheels to the motor. The pin is...
  3. A

Hello all, I recently had the misfortune to watch helplessly as my (almost) new Bachmann 2-4-4 Forney took a tumble from the layout track and landed on the carpet. <Ouch> :eek: The mishap broke the rear bogie (truck) from the king pin, as well as tearing the two contact wires from their...
  4. A

Operational boom gates EXPLAINED!

Hi all, Jim, I thought about using a Tortoise initially, but apart from the cost of a pair of them, as you stated, there is no way to easily synchronise them. As I said, my system is completely adjustable. If indeed, you wished to have the gates opening and closing at slightly different...
  5. A

Operational boom gates EXPLAINED!

Hello all, Eureka! :D That's what it amounted to when I had the germ of an idea the other morning upon waking.... It took only an hour or two to put the thing together, and I was rewarded by finding that it worked, first time! My problem was how to drive TWO boom gates together, and...
  6. A

Operational Level Crossing Boom Gates???

Thanks Paul. Good suggestion. I have a couple of old non-operating VCRs down the shed. I'll go and have a look later. At this stage, I must say that I'm leaning more towards a worm-drive setup, for my project requires a slow, steady speed, with approximately 1/2" of linear travel...
  7. A

Hey, there's a good angle that I never thought of. I'll have a look and see what's available on the cheaper side. Many thanks for the suggestion, John P..... Meanwhile, I'll toy around with some old gears and pulleys that I found in the 'unfinished projects' bin....
  8. A

Hello all, I'm of a mind to add a pair of operating boom gates to my 1950s era level crossing on my modular On30 railway. I have scratchbuilt the crossing signals, powered by 3mm red LEDs, added the appropriate signs, and have sourced a very good digital 'clang-clang-clang' sound for the...
  9. A

1:48 Willys (Jeep) Trucks and Wagons?

Hey Jim, That's the conclusion that I had come to as well.....they are a very rare breed indeed. (Even in 1:1 scale, although the one in my garage is pretty cool.) I have tried the Jeep forums, and drew a big zero there as well. Looks like I have a scratchbuilding task ahead of me...
  10. A

1:48 Willys (Jeep) Trucks and Wagons?

Hi Guys, I'm trying to source some (any) models of Willys trucks or station wagons from the 1950s - 1960s (they didn't alter that much over two decades) as a very necessary addition to my current On30 layout. (See pic.) EKO in Spain make a passable wagon in HO, and there are any number of...
  11. A

Atlas turntable

Hi guys, I have just purchased an Atlas #305 HO turntable, and after mounting the motor drive unit to it, I find that it works fine and is fairly quiet in clockwise rotation, but if I try to reverse it to anti clockwise, it still works OK but the chattering noise is unacceptable. The motor...
  12. A

How wide is that wagon?

Hey Jim, Many thanks.....that will help a lot.
  13. A

How wide is that wagon?

Hi You Blokes, Thanks for your prompt assistance with my previous question. I am just starting to get into On30, and am finding it a real buzz. The only thing missing is more TIME! (But what modeller has all that he needs?) My poser is this. Assuming an On30 gauge of 2' 6", what...
  14. A

Narrow gauge??

O Scale Narrow gauge Hey, Thanks Bob, So, On3 equals 36" or three foot gauge, and On30 equals 30" or 2' 6" gauge. That (sort of) makes sense. The reason I ask is that I have always been in love with small tank locomotives (as well as Shay, Heisler, and Climax geared locos). Recently I...
  15. A

Narrow gauge??

Hi Guys, Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought I understood the collective jargon that is applied to the various scales and their narrow gauge derivatives. But can anyone explain to me the difference between On3 and On30? (What a time of life to be getting into O scale..........)...
  16. A

Circuitron AW-1 Arc Welder Circuit Problems

Circuitron AW-1 Hey, thanks Rex, I have taken your advice and ordered one of the GRS 'Ultimate Welder' Circuits from Walthers, but I don't understand how the thing is triggered by an AM radio signal. Could you possibly explain it to me? It will be at least a month before it arrives from...
  17. A

Circuitron AW-1 Arc Welder Circuit Problems

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping that someone may be able to give me some assistance. I have recently purchased three (3) of the Circuitron AW-1 Circuits from Walthers, and have managed to destroy every one, either due to short circuits, bad wiring, or clumsiness, I'm not...

Back