Search results

1. DjShaggy

Can It Be Done

Here's a thought: You want to show that you can make a prototypical layout on the cheap, especially those who are new to the hobby. What if your starting point was a decent pre-packaged 'train set'? For someone new to model trains, they might have purchased such an item to realize that a train...
  2. DjShaggy

modeling an inclined plane

Wow, it must be time for bed. It took me a full minute to catch on to what I was supposed to be looking at. And yes, yay WestJet! I'm sure most of our American friends have never heard of 'em though. :(
  3. DjShaggy

Happy 142nd Birthday Canada!!

Happy Canuck Day!
  4. DjShaggy

CP rail freelance plan in N - Modern Era

Well, with a bit of research and redesigning, I have replaced the quarry idea with something more traditional; coal and coke facilities. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/djshaggy/cpmk2.jpg The image only shows the far right where I have done the most radical changes. The track that runs...
  5. DjShaggy

Thank you, that was exactly the kind of input I was looking for! I agree that that the green city area looks a little cluttered, and since not every track has a purpose, (yet), it wouldn't be too much to thin it out a bit. The same goes with the quarry. Back to the drawing board!
  6. DjShaggy

Well, its taken me quite a long time, but here is "mark 1", or my trackplan before consultation: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/djshaggy/cpmk1.jpg Its a pretty big image, but I think y'all can get the idea of whats going on. The table will be 55" by 164". The gray area is the area...
  7. DjShaggy

Has anyone seen this? (Robot Chicken train skit?)

I've yet to see the specific skit, but I am a big Robot Chicken fan. (Too bad we don't get Adult Swim here in Canadaville, I hafta buy the DVDs.)
  8. DjShaggy

Boy, did this take awhile!

SpaceMouse: The switching area is where I had the most problems, and one of the reasons I was never happy with my designs. I found myself looking at shelf layouts and trying to design something based on what I had seen. Thank you for the picture, I think I'll be much happier with what you have...
  9. DjShaggy

Thanks! I was worried about the S-curves as well, but I felt that there was enough of a straight run to prevent constant derailings. However this is something that will need to be seen to be sure. Just in case anybody is wondering, this is going to be a modern CP Rail layout with both freight...
  10. DjShaggy

Its been a few months, but I finally have an N-scale layout that I am happy with! The details: Green = mainline Blue = elevated track, max 2 inches, grades of 3.2% and 4.4% (yes, I know its high. I'm sure I'll be making fine adjustments to lower the grade as constructions starts.)...
  11. DjShaggy

Model railroading between houses: Has it been done?

I think its a wacky idea, but the way new neighborhoods are built, it wouldn't be much of a span from attic to attic.
  12. DjShaggy

Proud to be a Veteran

I am no veteran, but I thank each and every one of you that have served to protect the rights and freedoms we all enjoy today. My father-in-law is currently serving in the Canadian Army, and has been on many tours of duty, including two in Afghanistan. My hats off to all.
  13. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

Good questions, Mouse. These are the problems that prevent me from moving on from the planning stage.
  14. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

Many adjustments later, I have another track plan. Initially I was going to try and model an oil refinery and oilsand mine, but the logistics of such a design are beyond my abilities. Unfortunately, I am at a loss as to what industries I am going to model. However there is plenty of room to do...
  15. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

well, I've been doing a lot of thinking and redesigning, and I've come up with a good layout. First off the room I will be building in: I wanted to build a layout that used the narrow shelf, that way I can best use the space I have. It gives me somewhere to expand from, since the...
  16. DjShaggy

Berlin Mills Railway REBORN! (or, my latest custom cars)

Your detailing is absolutely amazing! I bow to your ability to stick with a project like yours. Kudos!
  17. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

Well, heres the scenario: The area I was going to use has changed, and I have been forced to rethink my whole design. I will not be doing a full 4X8, but I have quite the adventure ahead trying to use all the space I will have. Back to the drawing board. Literally. As for your questions...
  18. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

Thanks guys! The double main idea is great. As for my vision: What I would really like is to have a main staging and industrial area representing a large city or distribution center, and a small town in which at least some of the 'full' cars can be left and the 'empties' picked up and...
  19. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

Ah. I need to explain a bit. The scenery division isn't meant to be a wall, but the dividing line between scenes, (ie. industry to plains to mountain to town etc.) Anyways, I'll be able to walk around 3 of the four sides.
  20. DjShaggy

My N Scale Layout Idea

Well, I hope to have a final design drafted soon, I have some vacation time coming up mid-October and I want to use that time to get a great start on my first serious layout. This is a 4' X 8' plan made in RTS. I'm still learning XtrkCAD, and I have seen the benifits, but it takes me 5 times...

Back