Search results

1. GEfan

Building Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Wagons - Help Required

Thanks guys, I am assessing space to work out the scale, then sit and work out what can be done with milled brass for the loco chassis (and possibly wagon trucks to get some low down weight, then looking at the motor positioning and how all the detailing can be done 3D print or etched, or hand...
  2. GEfan

Hi, 4mm to the foot, 1/78 I think, is OO. Yes On30 would be 7mm to the foot or 1/48 (probably 1/43 over here). We have a small 5.5mm scale contingent which models the two foot narrow gauge lines. We didn’t have three foot over here, except the system on the Isle of Mann and a small amount in...
  3. GEfan

I am thinking of possibly a lightweight wooden or plasticard frame with laser cut sides, and brass detailing for the body, along with etched brass trucks.
  4. GEfan

Guys, That is great many, many thanks. @747flier - those measurements should be enough to get some rough ideas started, so thanks for posting those, and I'd never heard of the NG&SL Gazette, I'll take a look at that publication and see if it can be obtained digitally. @Snowman Oh you are a...
  5. GEfan

I am currently looking at thoughts on scratch-building a K37 and some wagons ... akin to those on the old Denver & Rio Grande Western narrow gauge lines. I am nowhere near the two preserved sections however (being on another continent!) and while I can find some pictures, am struggling to find...
  6. GEfan

Changing the identity of locos

Thanks Ken. Would they do the numbers for the lit panel windows above the front end driving cabs too? Sorry, not sure what they are actually called!
  7. GEfan

Changing the identity of locos

A quick question chaps. I am relatively new to HO modelling - I have ordered a couple of ScaleTrains UP and BNSF GE AC4400s that I want to change the running numbers on. Is there anyone that does transfers and the above cab window number panels for locos? If so, are they easy to get hold of...
  8. GEfan

Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Not sure if this helps you or not, but in the UK, a number of N gauge guys (including myself) don't use rail joiners any more. They look wrong and are clearly visible in photographs. Instead, careful positioning of the track, which is glued to the trackbed surface is the method. Each piece of...
  9. GEfan

N Gauge - California-ish Railroad Layout

Thanks Sherrel, Yes, the ones that are in the top level are only temporarily in at the moment, and yes they do need countersinking so that they do not interfere with the trackwork. I'll take a look at those eBay options tho, cheers! Rich
  10. GEfan

Now personally I love to see wagon shots. Yes I have something of OCD when it comes to making things look and run right, but wagon shots like this give opportunity to weathering records. More! More! I wish I could find some of these centre-beam flats in N gauge, but they seem a bit elusive. If...
  11. GEfan

Well this weeks update was a little delayed ... a glimpse of what is to come in the weeks/months ahead to start with, well on one board anyway .... Work has continued this week on the right hand end base board, with the risers now all in for the upper level return loop, the upper level track...
  12. GEfan

Morning all, Great to see everyone's progress with the model railroads, just had a quick catch up. Another couple of images, I think it was @Sirfoldalot who said he liked to see the architecture of Britain's railway stations, so you may enjoy this batch. A small station, today with low...
  13. GEfan

Morning all, I have updated my layout thread this morning, with the results of yesterday's work, should any one being interested in the cutting of wood and preparation of baseboards! Link in my signature below ... I promise once track laying starts in a couple of weeks, things will get more...
  14. GEfan

Morning all, Well Modelling Thursday became baseboard Friday this week. For those not actively following this thread, you may recall from the last update that the new framework had been completed for the right hand end board - this provides a continuous loop on the upper level, a downward grade...
  15. GEfan

Great shots of the pulp loaders there @TLOC ... great scenery too! As an aside, I have posted a message elsewhere on this forum .. if anyone can help identify this layout, I'd love to know if the website is still online and been updated, but cannot find it after a few weeks of looking... Can...
  16. GEfan

Can anyone identify this HO gauge layout?

Hi All, A few years ago, when searching around the net I came across a small home-made website that promoted the guy's HO scale railroad based on the Milwaukee Road I think. I saved the pictures off because it was a fascinating model railroad, with great scenery and operating potential, but...
  17. GEfan

Helix Building for N Scale - the method can also be used for HO Scale

Hi Rick, Really nice work there I have been considering something similar for my big N gauge modern-day US layout when I get round to building it in the garage next year, so your PDF has been filed away for future reference! I am in the UK too - up in Lincolnshire, whereabouts are you? Rich
  18. GEfan

If it helps at all, over here you can and will be arrested and charged for trespassing on the railway. Not that I condone it, as I don't, but with the 3-prong security fencing we have up all over the line side, the railway becomes like Fort Knox. The Health & Safety culture that is extensive...
  19. GEfan

Morning all, Happy Birthday to James - not sure with the time difference to the UK, if that was yesterday or today, but I guess it depends where you on the planet as it may be tomorrow in someplace!! Little bit of progress on the Rock Canyon railroad last night, I ordered the track! Not sure...

Back