Search results

1. JohnK

the cotton mill era in Lancashire - Satanic Mills

A couple of comments: @Kevin, as I said in earlier posts the name was coined by the owner. The control panels on the layout are labeled "Owdham Central" and I never did get to ask the owner why he used Owdham instead of Oldham. I'd never heard of Oldham or the phrase Satanic Mills until we were...
  2. JohnK

Yes, I discovered all that during my research, however the owner, not I named it Satanic Mills. There are a million model railways out there named after something they're not. This is just one of them.
  3. JohnK

As mentioned in my original post, we were honoured to have this layout donated to us. All we did was fix the damage caused by Cockroaches and Rodents. The damage was confined to cardboard and paper structures only. The Metcalfe buildings were hit the hardest. Please note that we recently saw...
  4. JohnK

Hello everyone. Gee wiz, it's been 11 years since the last comment was made about this amazing layout, but let me tell you it's still alive and just as good as the day it was built. As the builder has mentioned in the thread above, it was sent to Dubai and finally found its way with the...
  5. JohnK

3 D Printing

Sorry I never posted any links yesterday, but it being my first post I thought I'd make it simple. I'm looking at the AnyCubic Proton resin printer mainly because of its low cost in Australia. Unfortunately the resin isn't cheap, but if you plan to make bulk items, it will pay to learn how to...
  6. JohnK

Laser Cutting, 3D Printing, Model Making and Restoration

Hi everyone. Oddly, I drove my first model train just six months ago, but in my 77 years on the planet, I've always been fascinated with model railways and model making in general. I'm a member of the Cairns (Australia) Men's Shed where we're building a 7.5m x 2.8m HO/OO DC/DCC layout with a...
  7. JohnK

3 D Printing

There's two kinds of Printers competing with each other in the same way Betacord and VHS did with video tapes many years ago. Filament printers use a thin wire rod to build 3D models. The end result is very course for small stuff, but probably not so bad for larger scales. Resin Printers are...

Back