Search results

1. SRT

First new project in years

I don't know which issue it appeared in. I found the article in one of Kalmbach's books on scenery. Wait a sec, I'll go find it... OK, the book is "Scenery Tips & Techniques". The article is by Jim Kelly. The technique involves the use of joint compound (the 'mud' that drywallers use). Jim...
  2. SRT

Road Line Spacing

Funny, I just measured that 3 days ago for a cityscape project. Here in British Columbia, on Highway 97 north, the yellow lines are 3 inches wide with a 3 inch space between them. The lanes themselves tended to vary a bit between 124 inches and 126 inches. The parallel parking spaces also...
  3. SRT

No planning software. I drew and rendered it using Rhinoceros 3D. I find it easier since I can draw in 1:1 scale (in this case, 1:1 means the actual layout as it will be built, not a scale drawing of it) and let the computer do all the math. Rhino isn't for everyone, it's professional-grade...
  4. SRT

Holy Moly, I forgot! It's in N scale. The module is 1x4 feet in size. SRT.
  5. SRT

I figured out where to start again after all these years. I picked up a simple plan I sketched some years ago. It is a lazy little branch line of some as-yet unnamed prototype. It tunnels through a mountain here, bridges a river or two there, has a small town, one small (but lively) industry...
  6. SRT

Track Cleaning

As for alternative methods, I've heard good things about metal polishes. Apparently they can greatly increase the time between required cleanings. Be warned, I have not tried this myself yet. I have no idea what (if any) side effects there may be. SRT.
  7. SRT

Paint problem

I would second the primer solution. It certainly looks like an adhesion problem. In my time as a taxi owner, I had to do plenty of touch-up work on car doors. Right along the edges where it's tough to get paint to stick. The only thing that worked was a good primer before painting or the...
  8. SRT

please critique my work, new to custom painting

I make 3d models using Rhino 3D. When I first saw the pics, the paint was so clean, the lines so sharp, I thought for a second you were trying to fool us with a digital model. That's fantastic. SRT.
  9. SRT

Painting a loco step by step tutorial (pics)

I need this. I suck at painting. 'Nuff said. Carry on. Nothing to see here. SRT.
  10. SRT

what is your favorite engine

My fave engine is the first one I ever bought. A GP38-2. It was a crappy model that never ran right and could barely stay on a straight length of flex track, but I loved it nonetheless. I still have it after almost 15 years. I used it for painting experience before turning it into a static...
  11. SRT

Hello, my name is Shawn...

Thanks, everyone. It's nice to run into friendly places like this, even if they are virtual places. As someone who drove taxi for more than a decade, I can tell you there are enough "bad places" already. No need to make more on the 'net. Oddly enough, I haven't done much modeling of late...
  12. SRT

What A Deal What A Deal!!!!!!

Must've been a good dog, eh? :) SRT.
  13. SRT

Rate this picture plz..

NOTE: I am not a professional photographer. I voted "Good". However, being new here and not having seen your other pics, if this was only your 3rd or 4th attempt, it's "Very Good". I share the concern of others regarding the glare. It is a bit too bright. I'm sure that will be easy to...
  14. SRT

my latest projects...

Holy Freakin' Moly! If you had placed that tank car in a realistic scene (and hidden the coupler), you could have easily fooled me into thinking it was the prototype. I don't believe your experiment with weathering the ACF is a success as far as rust goes. However, it does strike me as a...
  15. SRT

The First of Many

Man, that really stands out. Beautiful work. Is it just me or does that star make the loco look faster? SRT.
  16. SRT

How to make celing tile montains?

I used this method a couple of times due to weight restrictions. It excels at keeping the weight down while looking very "heavy" and real. I did develop a fine tuning technique to really bring out the fine detail of layered sandstone. Once you are at the stage shown in Doc Holliday's pic...
  17. SRT

Hello, my name is Shawn...

...and I'm addicted to model railroading. Just figured I should introduce myself before I go messing up your neatly woven threads with my usual foot-in-mouth disease. My main interests lie in both N and HO, but just about anything with rails gets me up in the morning. Scenery is my...

Back