Search results

1. M

Minitrains HOn30 Steamer Review

Thanks Rico, I had fun writing it.
  2. M

Minitrains HOn30 Steamer Review

I just received the new BCH 0-4-0 set, and I thought you'd appreciate this review. http://modelrailroading.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/the-big-city-hobbies-hon30-minitrains-0-4-0-mining-set-review/
  3. M

Kitbashing an 80 Ton GE CENTERCAB

A fun kitbash using components from two GE 70 Tonners by bachmann and minimal detail parts. Check out the how to over here: http://modelrailroading.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/lets-kitbash-a-ge-80-ton-centercab-diesel-switcher/
  4. M

Under Construction - Birmingham UK

That is the first time in months I've been completely fooled by a model, it's so realistic, it's absolutely incredible! Having everything subtly weathered really helps, as does the lighting angle. Top drawer work!
  5. M

Wow! I can't wait to see this take shape, literally!
  6. M

Haha, so true. I suppose since the last twin-cab diesels in the US were Baldwin Baby-Faced 6 axle diesels http://baldwindiesels.railfan.net/guide/drx-6-4-2000/index.html The Europeans have had time to modify, and tailor the dual cab units to their needs.
  7. M

Wow, I didn't think British Diesels could get any uglier, but they managed to do so! Yikes! That is by far the most unusual looking nose I've ever seen on a diesel. Other than regional "norms" is there some reason like specific BR railway standards that prevents them from importing Dash-9's and...
  8. M

Day in North America Layout Photo Contest

After seeing some spectacular shots for Railroads Illustrated "Day in North America" Photography Compilation, I was wondering if any of my fellow modelers would be interested in making our own version in scale. Basically it would be a document of the current state of railroading on your layout...
  9. M

How to CORRECTLY model water.

Glossy is the definitely the choice for water.
  10. M

Scrapline SD-7/9

Uhh...the SD7's didn't have a turbo anything they were all normally aspirated 567's. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "turbofan" those are the correct term for commercial jet airliner engines, not for anything railroad related. Those four fans along the rear of the unit are for the...
  11. M

Jerome's Switcher Roster

Silly Question, but how many of these do you end up keeping and how many are comissioned projects?
  12. M

ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR! :eek: Realism at it's finest. How do you plan to ballast all that track? what type/brand of ballast would you use?
  13. M

How hard is it really to go HOn3?

Chip, At least the $7 stick of track is micro-engineering, but still seven dollars...yikes. I think it would take a long time to build a suitable roser of equipment for 4-6 operators, many HOn3 modelers barely have enough for 2 operators after many years of work, due to almost every...
  14. M

How hard is it really to go HOn3?

Chip, I'd suggest you at least give it a try. I did the very same thing a few months ago and decided mainly thanks to the astronomical cost of everything HOn3 related that I personally could obtain from eBay and my LHS not to get seriously into HOn3. If money's not a huge issue and $7.00 for 3...
  15. M

I like your idea of using PVA glue for concrete, but why is that concrete patch there in the first place?
  16. M

Modeling Cliches to Avoid when Building your Layout

Josh, the monument is at Techachapi, yet the wreck happened at the base of Cajon, in San Berdoo, right? Cylinder--Oh! The Backdrop one is a huge pet peeve of mine, it completely ruins the realism of the layout in that one simple step. The worst is when a person thinks they're a good enough...
  17. M

True, some scenes like those in which you describe are indeed common, but most of the time, they don't look odd, but a familar scene. People fish, they get speeding tickets, etc. My articles are more leaned towards planning mistakes, like roads leading nowhere and industries plopped in the...
  18. M

Chip I like your tongue in cheek response, I actually like that scene of yours.
  19. M

Good references (books or magazines) for a newbie?

I submit my website as a good reference for beginners and advanced modelers alike: http://modelrailroading.wordpress.com
  20. M

I'm currently writing an ongoing series of modeling cliches. I define "modeling cliches" as a visual or design layout element that most people see and notice that something is amiss, but they can't exactly put their finger on it. This is an ongoing series, so I'll add to this post as time goes...

Back