Search results

1. E

Connecting Code 83 to code 100 track

What is the easiest and best way to connect a piece of code 100 flex track atlas to a code 83 track? Thanks. I am adding some siding using code 100 track that someone gave me - the main line is code 83.
  2. E

train speed on #6 turnout

what is the recommended safe speed for a train using a #6 turnout?
  3. E

Lessons learned - building problem free layout

Let me know if I am "on track" with this amateurs personal observations. I'd welcome the input of the experienced model railroaders. These are food for discussion at this point. 1. Track must be placed on a solid, smooth road bed. All changes in grade or curvature should gradual. 2...
  4. E

Trucks for rolling stock

I'd appreciate recommendations on trucks - are trucks with roller bearings better? Metal vs plastic wheels? Thanks
  5. E

Railroad crossing detector and flasher/gates

I'd like recommendations on an ho scale detection unit and either gates or flashers that will go on automatically. For realism I prefer a unit that detects the train in advance to turn the flashers or gates on and then turns it off after the train passes.Thanks.
  6. E

HO Passenger Cars that run on 22" radius track

I am looking for recommendations on passenger cars that will operate on 22 inch radius HO track. I recently read some comments that Walthers passenger cars need a flatter radius. Thanks.
  7. E

HO Steam Engine - need light

The light stopped working on my steam engine - can I get replacements and how do I install it? Thanks !
  8. E

how do I change the loco's address

How do I change the locomotive adderess from the default value of 3. I am adding a second locomotive and they are both set at 3 in the factory. I tried following the instructions but nothing changed - help.
  9. E

help - HO PRR K4 BTL - Traction bands

The locomotive came with two traction bands in a ackge - does anyone know which wheels these should be placed on? The locomotive has three pair of large driving wheels.Thanks!
  10. E

DCC wiring

I am wondering what is the recommended way to connect the feeder lines from the tracks to the main wire (bus). Should I cut the main wire and solder the wires to the feedeer or are other methods more desireable? I'd appreciate guidance.
  11. E

Soldering to HO track - I am confused

So far this is what I understand- For a DCC sysem it is recommended that wires connected to track be 14, 16 or maybe 18 gage. Wires should be soldered to tracks at least every 6 feet - some say every track. Questions: Isn't 14 gauge too thick-it's as high as the rail? Do I solder to...
  12. E

cabosse - how change the lettering

I purchased a pre-finished ho caboose. I would like to change the name from Southern Pacific to PRR. Is this fairly easy to do.:confused: Wher do I purchase the lettering and how do you recommend I proceed. This will be my first attempt.
  13. E

ho- should I use re-railer tracks

Before I lay down my track, I'd like to know if the experienced HO people think that I should use re-railer tracks and if so, how often and where:confused: . How necessary are they? Thanks!
  14. E

dcc wiring and boosters - all new to me

I purchased a prodigy express unit to power the trains. Excuse me about the number of questions but DCC is quite complex and I have never done any wiring for DCC until now. I thank everone for their patience in advance. I developing a layout that is roughly 16 x 8. It has crossovers where...
  15. E

Recommended minimum radius

As I am trying to think the HO modeling thru before I try it again I have some other questions - I'd like thoughts on what is a reasonable minimum radius to use. What I am thinking is someting that accommodates most HO trains. I suspect 18 inches is to tight but I am not sure. I want to...
  16. E

advice on avoiding uncoupling and ho derailments

I tried to use ho scale trains in the past but got very frustrated with uncoupling problems and derailments. Especially problemaic was backing up trains thru switch tracks. I'd like to give this another try as the scale is less expensive than 0 scale and you can do a lot more in the same...

Back