Search results

1. stokesda

OK honestly

Good call. I just picked up a bunch off the Walthers website for $2-$4 each. Much cheaper than the Athearns for $20+ per set of 3. IMO, the Athearn models are kind of overpriced for what they are. They're nice looking models, but still overpriced. It's a plastic box, for crying out loud! It...
  2. stokesda

EMD F & E Question

I'm no expert, but from what I've read on the subject, they seem to be a more or less "aftermarket" item. It seems that early on, the units were delivered with very minimal grabs on the front end, but after owning them for a while, many railroads started installing grabs in strategic locations...
  3. stokesda

A business we can model

This is the most useful thread I've seen all week! I have the perfect spot for an industry like this. I need something for a spur near a cement distribution facility (Walthers Medusa Cement Co). I was trying to come up with some small, kind of dirty, grungy industry that didn't need a clean or...
  4. stokesda

Container stacking question

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I thought that it didn't matter which goes on top, but just wanted to make sure.
  5. stokesda

Container stacking question

All right, all you intermodal experts out there... I have several containers of various sizes and want to load up my double-stack well cars. I have a mix of standard height (8'6") and hi-cube (9'6") containers. Is there a rule about stacking hi-cubes on top of standard containers (or...
  6. stokesda

Modern Modeler's Jackpot

I wonder if Pelle Soeberg uses thes kits on his layout (featured in Model Railroader a several times). I think I've seen a few of these on photos of his layout.
  7. stokesda

Loco Terminology

Wow! :eek: Ya learn something new every day!
  8. stokesda

intermodal cars and containers

Here's a good website that talks about all things intermodal: http://www.robl.w1.com/Transport/intermod.htm Scroll down to the section called "Movement By Rail" to find a discussion on stacking various sizes of containers in/on rail cars. One other thing to mention is that you have to...
  9. stokesda

No more "Extreme Trains"?

After I posted the original topic, I went to the HC website and looked at the forums for Extreme Trains. It was a shame, but there were many posters there who were die hard rivet counters and did nothing but complain about how poor the show/host was, and how the show had "lied to" and "misled"...
  10. stokesda

No more "Extreme Trains"?

I just turned on the TV to watch "Extreme Trains" on the History Channel, only to find it wasn't on. I searched the TV listings, and it doesn't show any airings in the next 2 weeks. I even went to the History channel website and even though it's still listed as a show, it doesn't have any future...
  11. stokesda

RMC February issue is shipping late

OK, I got mine yesterday (1/21). All is now right with the world :D
  12. stokesda

RMC February issue is shipping late

I just called Carsten's to ask about the Feb issue, because I hadn't received it yet (normally I get it in the first week or so of the month). The lady I spoke to said they had a problem and were shipping late. It should be out in the next couple of days, so expect delivery within the next week...
  13. stokesda

History Channel's Extreme Trains - Transcontinental Episode

No kidding! I seriously wish they'd put this show on at least an hour earlier! Do you think anyone will really notice if they don't show that second episode of "The Universe" in prime time?
  14. stokesda

History Channel's Extreme Trains - Transcontinental Episode

People may be getting tired of discussing this series, but I just watched the latest installment last night and wanted to say that I was fairly pleased with it. It was a good "cradle to grave" overview of a major freight train run. It would have been nice if they went into more detail on how the...
  15. stokesda

Magazines

The two mainstays of the model railroading world are Model Railroader (MR) and Railroad Model Craftsman (RMC). Each has its merits. There are other more specialized magazines targeted at specific niche areas within the overall hobby, but those two are the basics. I have subscriptions to both and...
  16. stokesda

Questions about Cement Industry, storage silos

That's a wealth of useful information, Jim. It all makes much more sense now. Thanks a lot! (now where's that "thumbs up" smiley?... Oh, well, I'll just use this one) :D
  17. stokesda

Ken & Jim - thanks for the feedback, that's pretty much exactly the information I was looking for. I know cement plants are huge operations and that all I have (and have room for) is this storage/distribution facility. I had just never seen one in real life and didn't realize they existed...
  18. stokesda

A couple of years ago, I had a friend who switched from HO to On30, so he gave me a bunch of his HO stuff. One of the things he gave me was a Walthers "Medusa Cement Co." which was fully assembled, minus the billboard sign. Here's a link on the Walthers website. Apparently it's out of production...
  19. stokesda

Extreme Trains 12/23 Circus Trains

While not a huge fan of the circus train, I watched anyway just to see what it was all about. I actually found the episode pretty interesting, as I have the prior episodes I watched. I'm not about ready to go out and model the circus train after watching it, but I thought it was pretty...
  20. stokesda

Easiest way to add a 2nd headlight on an F unit

Sorry for the Johnny-come-lately response to an old thread. Hopefully someone out there still cares about this topic! Cal-Scale makes a brass casting of the single Mars light housing for F-units (part #190-417). I used one to dress up the existing nose door headlight hole in an Athearn RTR...

Back