Search results

1. W

BNSF 9-44CW build x3 (Warning, lots of pics!!)

Hey everyone, I have been quite busy with these since last year, but I am finally going to finish them up. I figured as much as I love to see other people post their projects maybe you guys would like to see what I've done. I even managed to find some progress pics up to this point. Opinions...
  2. W

So many different phases of dash 9's! Where to start?!!!

Hey everyone, I am in the process of building a couple BNSF dash 9 using a few late shells but had a really important question. As most of you know, there are different "phases" of locomotives as they evolve to better meet the needs of the railroad or to improve on the current product. This...
  3. W

FS: Athearn RTR GATX SD40-2, Athearn Genesis BNSF SD75M

Hello group, I have for sale today these two locomotives: Athearn RTR SD40-2 GATX #7349. This loco is from the latest release of RTR models and features a ton of factory applied details such as MU hoses, coupler cut bars, sliding windows, firecracker antenna, correct horn, seperately applied...
  4. W

Athearn maxi III detailing...

Ok, so my LHS has about 4 of these 5 car sets as kits available at 39.00 a piece. I was thinking about gettig some, but I am aware of how much work they will need to be on the same level of detail as my Athearn maxi 1's and kato maxi IV's. So, my question is this, has anyone ever detailed these...
  5. W

Help! Athearn SD70 ACe is shorting out somewhere!!

Hey everyone, my brand new Athearn SD70 ACe is acting strange. I just ran it on my DC track a few days ago and it was just fine. Today, I took it to Caboose Hobbies in Denver to get the horn sound changed, some momentum programmed in, and the sound turned up. As soon as it was on the test track...
  6. W

Adding sound to a Kato dash 9....

Has anyone here ever attempted to add a sound decoder to a Kato C44-9W? For those of you who own these, you'll notice the older run does not have the sound enclosure in the fuel tank like newer Katos. Also, although the primemover sound from an AC4400 is the same as a dash 9, will the Soundtraxx...
  7. W

Athearn SD70ACe DCC questions

Just a few quick questions for those of you that have these engines. While I have my own, I don't have a DCC track (or layout) to change the CV's with, so: 1. Does the sound come with the volume maxed out from the factory? If not, how much more can you turn it up? Does it sound any louder...
  8. W

Athearn SD70ACe's released! Who's got one?!

So the BNSF ACe's are released now! I am really surprised that many hobby shops have had them in stock (my favorite LHS sold them all in less than 12 hours!!!) or have them in stock. No reviews? I have heard a nasty rumor that the sound equipped engines are not very loud due to just one speaker...
  9. W

Walthers 6200 cu ft plastic pellet hopper decals...Any available?

So today at this train show I scored a plastic pellet hopper, older run from Walthers but still very nice! Part of the good price I paid for it was it was undecorated. Does anyone know where I can get some decals for it? NAHX, UTCX, Procor, anything....? This looks like it will be a fun build...
  10. W

Anyone like tank cars? Show us your detailed tankers...

I am in the process of building some tank cars (Walthers kits) and detailing them more closely to modern standards. I would like to see anybody that would like to share pics of their tank car builds or detailed projects. They don't have to be weathered professionally, or built to rivet counting...
  11. W

Resin tank car kits....Any available?

Ok, so I am looking for any resin (or just highly detailed) tank car kits. I know they have been offered before, but by who? Also, can someone maybe post some pics and info of the different types of newly offered tank cars? I am trying to build a unit tank train and looking for ideas...Any tank...
  12. W

BNSF Dash 9 4 window cab mod...How hard?

Just wondering...I am about to modify a Kato BNSF C44-9W to have the 4-side window cab just like the 4500 series dash 9's...Doesn't seem like that many people have attempted this but I know that details west (or cannon) makes the part for this. So...I have a few questions for those of you that...
  13. W

loco won't move after sound decoder install...

So, I wired in a new sound decoder into my Atlas GP40-2 (Soundtraxx TSU-AT1000 EMD 645) and followed the instructions to a t (minus the wire clips...I soldered them instead very neatly with no damage to the PCB) and although the loco was working before on DC it won't budge now. I have a standard...
  14. W

wiring ditchlights on an Athearn C44-9W...

I am by no means an electrical expert, however, I do realize something is quite wrong here...On one of my Athearn dash 9's I have just installed some ditchlights. I do not remember the electrical information about them but they look very similar to the ones that come stock on Athearn RTR locos...
  15. W

Early Kato C44-9W's...

Does anyone have any good pictures of some early Kato C44-9W's? I was just wondering a few things about the run that (I suppose) would've been released in 2001. I have an offer to buy BNSF 4929 and ATSF 600. Both Dash 9's and both for 140.00 shipped NIB... 1. Did they have working ditchlights...
  16. W

are there any train stores in or around newport news, va?

...As the title of my post suggests, I was looking for a train hobby shops in or around Newport News, VA. I will have to go to school there soon for about 4 months and thats quite a long time without a hobby store. Thanks guys! -Rich
  17. W

For the few Chessie System fans out there....

To all the cat lovers, For those of you that may be interested, here is a link to the Chessie SD40-2 #7614 that I am trying to build from a newer standard Athearn RTR undec. I am sorry for the poor quality of the pics! I was not familiar with the camera I was using because it was not mine. I...
  18. W

Atlas GP40-2....any insight?

My best friend wrote me tonight saying that Atlas has announced their new GP40-2 in HO scale at the Anaheim model train show. Has anyone else heard any such rumors? If so, do any of them involve any cats...?:rolleyes: Perhaps a good Chessie System GP40-2 could be a possiblity...
  19. W

Athearn GP50 owners....I need a part number please!

Does anyone have the part number for the PLASTIC handrails for an Athearn GP50? I have already tried to contact Athearn about a replacement set, but they need the part number. I used to have it somewhere but I must've lost it. Any help could be GREATLY appreciated...
  20. W

cats on a coal drag....

Despite the bad luck I stated with my recent ebay purchase, at least I had fun with some of my other new toys. These shots were taken by my best friends at our local club. Hope you enjoy.... 2 GP40-2's and a GP30 are head end power of this coal train taken around in the fictional mid to late...

Back