Search results

1. T

Easy Model Railroad Inventory Software

Hi Guys: This may have been asked before, but I'll ask again in case its changed Are there any users of EMRI (Easy Model Railroad Interface) in the group? I am using it, and I like it but would like to talk some things over with experienced users Thanks TIM
  2. T

What do I do with this spot?

Hi Folks: Ive got this big chunk of real estate left in my layout plan, and I am not real sure what should go in there -- Its a modern day layout depicting a very busy bridge line between the BNSF and UP across LaVeta pass (VERY Freelanced) (and in somewhat of an alternate universe) The...
  3. T

Sound and Motor Decoders for N Scale Kato SD90/43mac and P40FH

When I first bought these 2 locos, I made a bad mistake and put in MRC decoders which have been no end of troubles. So I want to replace them. I am looking for some kind of a drop in decoder replacement. Sound is important but moreso is motor control. I run an NCE powercab -- I found the...
  4. T

Ends of the Main Buss

Hi Guys: I am getting ready to start installing my main buss and a few of the sub busses and hopefully laying some track in the next couple days!!! the layout is U shaped around the wall. As I pull in the main buss that is attached to the plug panel where the NCE power cab plugs in, the buss...
  5. T

Painting track for "Stand Off Scale"

HI Folks: IM looking for suggestions of what colors to use for painting track for what some call 3 foot scale -- as in it looks good at 3 feet distance -- I want it to look "Good" but not take hours on each section of track. This railroad is designed for operation, and i want it to look decent...
  6. T

Cork on plywood or cork on foam on plywood

HI Folks: Hopefully going to start cutting wood and building in the next day or 2, and I have been wondering if cork roadbed on directly on the 1/2 inch plywood or if putting 1 inch of pink foam under it first (allowing me to carve creeks and rivers and other depressions is the way to go. in...
  7. T

San Luis and Rio Grande -- A new Hope

Well, Ive been busy with the track planning software, hope to start building soon, Here is the current version -- I could sure use some critiques Thanks TIM
  8. T

Plywood, Cork and Track

Hi Folks: IM planning a layout in N scale -- ive been watching the Canadian Canyons video series from Model Railroader, and I notice in that series, David Popp chose to put cork directly on the plywood and then track on the cork, Does this provide sufficient sound dampening, or should I try to...
  9. T

My current project -- the op-sig database

Well guys, this is not a model thats on my bench, its a railroad project. I am taking on the project of trying "fix" the op-sig database -- it took some work to get it into access, but now its in, and I am working on trying to normalize the data and get things cleaned up -- Right now the big...
  10. T

Easy Model Railroad Inventory Software

Hi Folks: Im looking for any users of the Easy Model Railroad Inventory Software -- Im using it and would like to bounce a few questions off people as time goes along Please reply to me directly or in the forum Thanks TIM
  11. T

San Luis and Rio Grande Track plan for Critiques

Hi Folks: Attached is my new track plan for the San Luis and Rio Grande. This is a very much freelanced railroad based on the SLRG in Southeast Colorado. I'd really appreciate it if you folks could look it over and let me know what you think, and where it can be improved. Its very much...
  12. T

Uncooperative Bachman 70 Tonner

Hi Folks: I have a bachman spectrum 70 ton diesel with dcc on board: https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_755_844_850_852&products_id=5098&zenid=ajpqpoi250qn5o75n7e8adsmp1 it was given to me by a friend, now that I have a working layout, I have been trying...
  13. T

Suggestions for a Coal Mine scene

HI Folks: I am working on track planning, and tonight the topic is my coal mine scene. As you can see from the attached picture, I have an area about 8 - 9 feet long (the total area is 10 feet) by about 1 foot wide, this area is elevated about 3 inches above the main part of the table. I...
  14. T

Way freights, manifest freights, transfers, turns and other kinds of trains

Part of my project as I design the operation system for the San Luis and Rio Grande is that I want to get things more or less prototypical. In various reading, I'm coming across various "types" of trains, and could use some clarity not sure what they are called, the fast trains that run between...
  15. T

Wiring Best Practices

HI Folks: Im getting ready to do some more track feeders this weekend, as well as re-working a section of my staging area over the next couple weeks / months. When I started the layout I was not careful about my wire runs etc, and now have a rats nest, so I am going to be re-working all the...
  16. T

Reversing Loop Controllers

HI Folks: Due to my layout design, I will end up with 3 reversing loops -- 2 are currently in existence, and right now I am using DPDT toggle switches to control them -- they work, but ANNOYING. I know there are automatic units out there from many manufacturers. Im not asking whats out there...
  17. T

Short(er) Wheelbase Locomotives

Hi Folks: I'm making progress on my layout, and as I am doing so, it looks like my SD90/43MAC may be too big for some of my curves. My curves are hand drawn, but close to 9.75" radius, and in a couple places, the loco wants to drop wheels. My F40PH seems to handle all the curves without a...
  18. T

Problems with MRC 1808 Decoder

Good Afternoon everyone, Happy New Year: I have an MRC 1808 sound decoder in my Kato SD90/43 MAC -- its never been all that good -- not real pleased with it. The original lost its sound within 1 hour of getting it, took them 2 months to decide to send me a new one. This one has been running...
  19. T

Wiring a frog with Walthers Switch Machine

Hi Folks: I have a handlaid switch, that I am planning to install using a Walthers Switch Machine. The switch machine has 2 switches on it -- push buttons types. each has 3 connectors from top to bottom. NC, NO, C -- Normally Closed, Normally Open, and Common. IM really not sure how to wire...
  20. T

Naming Trains

Hi Folks: I have several trains that run multiple times a day -- for example I have the manifest freights -- M-ALAWAL that run AM and PM, likewise, several mine turns C-ALAOXB -- runs 3 times a day. What is the modern practice for naming / numbering them? C-ALAOXB-A, C-ALAOXB-B...

Back