Search results

1. CurlSnout

Possible to turn OFF - or simply ignore and not run - built-in sound ???

Unplugging the speakers makes sense and sounds (no pun intended) straightforward (?). Thanks for the speedy replies. CS
  2. CurlSnout

Possible to turn OFF - or simply ignore and not run - built-in sound ???

I have a temporary layout that I run in DC mode. I've never had anything DCC-equipped, but there is a BLI model (E6) that I crave and it only comes in the DC/DCC flavor. For whatever reason(s), I have no interest in the fact that it comes equipped with sound, and I would prefer to run it in...
  3. CurlSnout

Stewart's ATSF FT:"boxy" dynamics or not?

Thanks for your replies, everyone. The thing is, I was not asking about the "real" locomotive. I've read the ATSF pages and I know that the prototype had the boxy dynamic brake radiators. I was asking about Stewart's model, and I'm curious to know why what is claimed to be the same model...
  4. CurlSnout

Stewart's ATSF FT:"boxy" dynamics or not?

Stewart's Santa Fe FT passenger locomotive #163 (Stewart's No. 5068) is shown at the Bowser website as having the "boxy" dynamic brakes structure: But at the Walthers web site, the same model is shown differently; the boxy dynamic brakes are conspicuously absent: Can anyone offer...
  5. CurlSnout

Passenger cars (streamline) for 18" radius ?

I am currently limited to running a small layout around the living room floor; 18 inch radius curves are the rule. Can anyone suggest a source for passenger cars that will operate on such track? I'm thinking streamline cars such as were used for Super Chief and/or California Zephyr service...
  6. CurlSnout

Question about Stewart Hobbies F-Units

Thanks for posting those photos, grande man. I'm still learning which manufacturers have produced which models and road names, and trying to get a sense of how the different makers rank with respect to aesthetic appeal (i.e., "looks" - detail level, fidelity to prototype, etc.) and...
  7. CurlSnout

Not kidding. I was looking for a passenger set. The Precision Craft set looks very nice and does seem to be out there in abundant supply, but I'm afraid it's beyond my grasp, economy-wise. I know that other manufacturerers produced CB&Q passenger sets, but the list of vendors I located who...
  8. CurlSnout

??? F-Unit A/B (A/B/C) power combinations

Thanks for the speedy replies. At least one of the voices inside my head knew that the "C" unit to which I made reference is/was, in fact, an "A" unit. And yes, you (grande man) were correct - I was referring back to the CB&Q A-B-A consist. I am not running DCC. I am re-discovering the...
  9. CurlSnout

??? F-Unit A/B (A/B/C) power combinations

Here's a question (rather, another question) to betray my newbie status. So far I am running small trains (I favor F-units) in which there is either a single A unit locomotive or A/B units in which the B unit is unpowered (i.e., a dummy). Many locomotives are sold as A/B combinations in which...
  10. CurlSnout

Do the Cal Scale detail kits come with documentation/instructions indicating what goes where and how to accomplish the detailing (i.e., required tools and procedures)? Can someone provide me with some idea of how involved the procedures are (I realize this is a vague request). I would love...
  11. CurlSnout

I just submitted my order (for the set I originally listed - 691-5222) with sushob and I look forward to joining the ranks of satisfied Stewart runners. I took advantage of the free shipping; these days every dollar saved on one train goes toward another train. Thanks everyone, for your...
  12. CurlSnout

Thanks for the replies and helpful information. It looks like I have the choice between: Stewart Hobbies CB&Q F3A/B #9962A/B - $125 (+ shipping $) and Athearn Genesis CB&Q F3A/B #9961A/B - $199 (+ shipping $) Anybody want to express an opinion, one way or the other, regarding which...
  13. CurlSnout

Greetings from Planet 10, I'm considering purchasing one of Stewart Hobbies' F-units - specifically, Stewart Hobbies #5222 F3AB Set Phase II Chicago Burlington & Quincy #9962A/B (fact is, I'm having a hard time locating ANY HO-scale CB&Q F3 models, from any vendor). I own several F-units...

Back