Search results

1. S

Track Laying Template HO

This email went to all Dealer Price Program members a few weeks ago: Hello! We are writing to inform you of some major changes at JMD Plastics and Hobby. Some of you will also be receiving this same memo by mail, or via a separate personal email, depending on what is necessary if you have...
  2. S

Building the Gage, Portage & Western...from the very start

Next up: DPM Tera Surplus Window Warehouse...and I’m probably going to have to modify the heck out of it to make it work on the layout...first, I need to temporarily assemble it to get an idea of how and where it will fit on the layout. Off I go!
  3. S

Walthers American Hardware Supply building finished... Wooo! Yes, I'm still here, and yes, I've been super busy. But, I've finished (well, about 99% finished) my Walthers American Hardware Supply kit. I'll figure out the actual industry and put signs and stuff on it later. For now, it's done...
  4. S

Scale Trains Ralston Purina box

Thanks, all of you! On to finishing up the American Hardware Supply factory that has been sitting partially built on my workdesk!!!! I'll share those pics over on my layout progress thread in the HO scale forum...rather than spread everything out all over the place!
  5. S

Scale Trains Ralston Purina box

Took a break from layout construction as well as structure building to get a couple box cars built. I built the Armstrong Scale Trains box, and then decided to weather and build the Ralston Purina one (RPCX 135). All was hand-painted (and actually finger-smeared in some instances) -- no...
  6. S

After much trial and error with a variety of colors, I'm finally liking how this is turning out. This is one wall of my American Hardware Supply kit...In person, the orange doesn't look as strikingly bright, and I can dull it down further once I weather it. But at least I can move forward on...
  7. S

Shelf or straight line layouts

Hey number9, sorry if I missed it, but do you know the dimensions of the room? I only ask because I, like you, enjoy the "trains in a circle" as well, and I'm in the process of building an "around the room" layout in a 6x10 room in my basement -- so that's entirely possible (unless you're...
  8. S

Had to share -- wanted to take a picture, but didn't want him to get distracted. My 9-year-old son helped me by painting the ties (with the WS Weathered Tie marker, so it was "easy") on about four pieces of flextrack the other day. He stuck through the entire laborious (for a 9yo) task and...
  9. S

I've been painstakingly painting the rails and ties lately...it's somewhat tedious, but also somewhat therapeutic, ha ha ha! I also dug out my structures in order to lay down the bases of the ones that HAVE bases and plan my sidings, "main street" area and roads. Also, I've decided to build a...
  10. S

As promised....a video of the outer loop completed, and a link to a bunch of photos of this round of work finished. There are so many pics, I figured I'd just link to my Flickr album rather than choose the best ones to show you. LOL...
  11. S

A hard month of work, paying off Phew! Been hard at work on this layout since I last posted, and have made SERIOUS progress. I actually have running trains! Of course, I feel "bad" for not updating -- I'm sure many of you know how it is: You get working and moving, and you just stick to it...
  12. S

I’m back ... and lesson learned already! Time to get back at it! I’m laying out my track to test it first. I’m just thorough, I suppose. I’ve got plenty to do, but here’s the progress thus far. I’ll lay the track and mark centerlines for the cork roadbed, then come back through, pull it up and...
  13. S

Thanks! The summer months take me outside a lot more than keep me inside, so it's been a little slower-going, but I'm in the process on another one of the buildings...and I'm due to post an update on it. Maybe soon! Thanks for staying tuned!
  14. S

Finished up the Chicago bungalow... That Depots by John Chicago Bungalow I started building earlier in the year? Well, I finished it up a month or two ago, at least to the point where I can prepare to place it on the layout (once the layout is, you know, moved along to the "place buildings"...
  15. S

Walthers Champion Packing Plant

Nice job! Can't wait to build mine! This is excellent inspiration!
  16. S

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Terry and montanan, thanks for the help! I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but it's always better to have ideas in mind in case of downtime!
  17. S

Hey Johnny...thanks! Cool, somebody from Springfield. :D I was there from July 1999-July 2000. I like to tell people that I was afraid Y2k would send nukes to the big cities like Chicago, so I went to "hide" in Springfield, LOL -- in actuality, I worked for the News-Leader in my first gig out of...
  18. S

@cajon: I'm not as worried about operation of the spurs, but when I get into putting down the track on the trial run, I'll take into account the idea of spreading out those turnouts to make things a little easier. Thanks! @montanan: No doubt this is not the final chapter in the actual layout's...
  19. S

Hey all...new to posting here in the coffee shop, but I have a question ... Wife and I are headed for a short weekend trip to Raleigh...any train-related stuff (or, heck, anything else) I need to seek out/see while down there? Just curious...we'll be spending the days driving around, checking...

Back