Search results

1. F

Tablet control via Arduino

Hi all, I'm converting my layout to take control from my tablet. I found some instructions here: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/Steve_Massikker/arduino-train-demo-2-67d8a0?ref=tag&ref_id=train&offset=4 Hopefully, I'll have the last couple of pieces later this month. But, from the looks...
  2. F

Autobraking?

Hi, I've found some references to an autobraking feature in DCC and I was wonder if that's still something that's used. It appears to be something that comes from Lenz. I've seen some references suggesting that it never took off. But, I'm curious about it. It would be really handy at the end of...
  3. F

Replacing missing ties via 3d printing

Hi, I think this has happened to most of us. Especially if we are soldering track directly. I took some quick measurements with a vernier caliper and drew the tie in FreeCAD. And this is the result. This isn't perfect, the track doesn't actually slide into the tie at all, but it's the right...
  4. F

Wiring up my n-scale dcc layout

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused about how to wire up my layout. There's about 24' of track crammed into a 3'x2' area with a dozen manual turnouts mostly crammed into 3 areas. I'm planning to use 22 gauge wire for the feeders. Right now I'm using a Bachmann ez command controller if that matters. I...
  5. F

3d printing

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody else is planning to use 3d printing as part of their model railroading. I've got a printer coming in the next couple weeks and I'm planning on using it to print parts for my layout that can't easily be located elsewhere. Or, the bigger problem, don't fit in...
  6. F

Redo on my Chinese railroad layout

I threw out my previous layout as it became obvious that it wasn't going to work as I wanted. This is a layout I found in a book and then heavily modified. This is an N scale layout with Atlas code 80 tracks. The exterior dimensions are 3'x2'. This is going to be my central module, Hence the 6...
  7. F

Endoscope in tunnel

I'm wondering has anybody tried setting up an endoscope in a tunnel to view the trains as they go through? Obviously, you still want physical access to the tunnel in case the train derails, but since I already picked up one for when I'm working on my motorcycle that it might be cool to find a...
  8. F

First draft on Chinese railroad layout

Hi all, this is a first draft of sorts for a 3'x2' module on my layout. Track is Atlas code 80 and I'm not going for prototypical. If it looks good to non-experts that's going to be close enough. This is intended to be the center module, which is why it's a bit busy with the turn out. I'm not...
  9. F

Modular n layout for home

Hi all, I'm wondering if there's a good choice for doing a home layout that's not going to prevent me from taking the layout to a club in the future. From what I can tell, the ntrak and onetrak standards would pretty much prevent me from having a sane loop of track without going for a huge...
  10. F

Advice on researching obscure eras

Hi guys, I've decided to set my new layout in the late Qing Dynasty of China. The relevant bit here is the late 19th century up to about 1912 in southern China. It should turn out rather nice with some great bridges, rice paddies, bamboo and probably pandas. Finding information about the...
  11. F

Hello

I'm obviously new here. :-P I've got a couple trains an HO set up that's not been used in years, and now a new N scale train. I'm planning to set up a relatively small board, but hopefully I can fill it with lots of stuff.

Back