Search results

1. Aerojet

7 pile up

Well 7 managed to make a splash by piling up in Montana. Been all over the news. My first reaction was either a switch failure or a crossover failure. I have seen many trains, both 7 and 8 and CP cross over at Duplainville over the years - it sure looked like that for some of the cars which did...
  2. Aerojet

CP holiday train

According to the weerkend paper, the CP has cancelled the holiday train due to the kungflu. Although there will be an on line version.... stay tuned! The Aerojet
  3. Aerojet

Bringing old cars back ..

If you have been into model railroads since forever, you have some really old cars, like going back to the 70's.... don't you? Curious as to whom is still running Walther's Oscar and Piker in the original wood kits? Or Walther's original 70 foot car based on the CP super's car? Here is my line...
  4. Aerojet

what is old is new

So I have been at the stage around here of a full house. There is no more room to add much to my pike at the present time. Well, yes and no. One thing I wanted to do for the past few years was to add a more modern fire station to the pike. So I bought one, then the Walther's big unit, but that...
  5. Aerojet

research question ..

MY wife writes, and now has 8 books in print. She asked me while working on the next one --- How hard is it to open / re close a box car door. She has an idea for a murder mystery to put Mr. Body into a box car, now empty I guess, on a siding and the railroad takes it away. Time passes and the...
  6. Aerojet

Trains are slow ...

Watching the ATCS down here, the CN and CP have low traffic volumes. Not much moving right now. On the CN there is one train up by Fondy, going north and one down by the state line going south. Nothing in the middle. CP is not a lot better, one going thru Dupy right now, but not much more as of...
  7. Aerojet

Trouble someplace ...

Well, it has been awhile since I posted anything. I guess been busy and all that - so just to show I am still around I guess I could post this -- The 701 job, the local distributor train has dropped off a couple of auto racks to be unloaded. Saw then this caught my eye - the Super's train has a...
  8. Aerojet

Another bent up loco ...

Well the CP did it again. A month ago they demolished a mini van at Brookfield, yesterday the plowed thru a flat bed semi loaded with sheet steel ... The tarp on the loco is from the load of sheet steel. I don't know what causwed to loco to come apart like that -- see next photo. Just to let...
  9. Aerojet

A local problem ??

Monday night I was reading the paper about 4:15 and the news had "breaking news" - that there was a train car crash at Brookfield. One look at the clock told me something had been run over by # 7 - the westbound Empire Builder. Yup -- one 70 yo man dead. According to the news and the internet...
  10. Aerojet

The 8 train

I hope this comes out better than it did on my unit -- This is my latest project. Building the Executive Train. Much like the ones by the UP / CN / BNSF this unit has it's own loco. This is the GP-20 which was repainted. The lettering is another story. Back in the early 80's I had "Herald King"...
  11. Aerojet

Loco Genie

Well, I was looking for a loco to make into an "executive" train loco, painted entirely different than our current ones. Time to go loco shopping on Evil bay. Now what type of loco would I like? Something in a GP? SD? Or something else. 15 - 20 - 24 - 30 - 33?? - 40? Lots to look at. But I did...
  12. Aerojet

An observation Re: Walther's 7808

As an old timer, I am still building Walther's cars I find on the net and sometimes "shorten" a few up for giggles. One thing I have noticed is this -- MY 7808, the Executive Observation car, which you have seen as RP & W car #2 must be unique. Why? I have a plastic monitor roof on it. I...
  13. Aerojet

The "North Woods" ....

ALL right, so Alan and others don't like my cutting up old cars to make more "little" passenger cars. I saw that in a Walther's catalog, and thought it looked cute. Some day I was going to build a set of those cars - but not out of Oscars and Pikers. Thus the set of cars I made. Thinking, this...
  14. Aerojet

Mid 50's to mid 60's?

If you are modeling the late 50's into the 60's. This was a turbulent times for railroads. Planes and cars had pretty much taken over the passenger business, and trucks were working their way into the freight hauling. Especially from smaller towns on branch lines. Which is why the railroad...
  15. Aerojet

No kit?

Mean while back in the car shop -- Today everything is ready to run in model railroading, but there was a time when not everything was so. Take shake the box Athearn Blue Box kits. If you wanted a car, you bought the Athearn kit, took it home and finished the assembly yourself. Wrong couplers...
  16. Aerojet

A full house!

You have seen them apart, and now I present my full set of Walther's Oscar and Piker units .... Both with their respective hustler locos. The Piker in blue was a rebuild, and the decal set for my lettering is way too old to use anymore. So it will remain unlettered. The bright orange roof is...
  17. Aerojet

Walther's fun to run cars

Okay, let's start a discussion of some old time Walther's kits, and their rebuilds. At one time Walther's made a few of the tongue in cheek models. Starting with the original Oscar and Piker, which you have seen in my photos. Yes I have both and they are not for sale. Then there was the "Beer...
  18. Aerojet

Cars 1 and 2

Been a long time coming, but tis finally finished. Car #2 the 7808 is done. Here it is attached to car #1 a Walthers Oscar. So two Walthers cars from the past slightly reworked. If it means anything I saw a 7808 on sale on evil-bay for $55.00 a few days ago. It might still be there is you want...
  19. Aerojet

There it goes!

Since most of my pike is basically finished, I really am not going to change the track work much. So other things are on the agenda. Which is why I am rebuilding the Walther's 7808 car, and other up grades to things around here. Looking at a lot of old railroad photos I notice that even a...
  20. Aerojet

Deleting a post.

Some of us would rather have a "do again" -- and somehow pull a post off the board. Things get old, topics which engender no response, things move on, some stuff you wold love to retract but now can't -- there a tons of reasons to pull an old post. The whole thing, and forget it. Just wondering...

Back