Search results

1. Chevron_GATX

Do you keep ll your locomotives and rolling stock ON your layout?

That was funny! I honestly have lost count myself. Not that I have THAT many, but I think it's definitely more than 60 or so. I really need to finish my loco database that I built in a macOS database application Ninox (below), so I can keep track of decoders and whatnot. I know that when Fox...
  2. Chevron_GATX

Do you keep ll your locomotives and rolling stock ON your layout?

I planned to build a yard that would hold my favorite unit-trains (modern crude-oil, Railbox boxcars, FedEx spine-car, and a military consist), but I'm afraid the stubs won't be long enough. Plus I have a ton of passenger stuff. I also have way more locos that I can put on my layout (currently...
  3. Chevron_GATX

The decline in the number of model railroaders?

I continue to be amazed at the depth and breadth of new MRR products on the market released every year. If that's any indication, the hobby isn't anywhere near dying—it's growing. Many of us who got a Lionel or Tyco set for Xmas when they were young, eventually returned to the hobby later in...
  4. Chevron_GATX

How Long is Your Mian Line?

My main N-scale double-track loop is about 60' long.
  5. Chevron_GATX

I just now joined

No problem, man! Whenever you get the re-direct, just close the window. It is definitely malware. The exact same malware attacked another MRR forum (perhaps by a different method), and the administrators were able to get rid of it after a few weeks. [Edit: I just posted a message in the "Forum...
  6. Chevron_GATX

Bead board VS cardboard strips for scenery support.

I only have one question: Celluclay or Sculptamold! I've only used Celluclay, and really like how easy it is to work with. It can also be reshaped by re-wetting it. Opinions?
  7. Chevron_GATX

Bead board VS cardboard strips for scenery support.

I use two-inch polyiso foam which is much less messy than pink or blue stuff. It cuts real easily with a steak knife, and also sands real easily with just a 3M sanding sponge. It creates little debris, is very lightweight, and is far less messy than mixing up some plaster. I also bought some of...
  8. Chevron_GATX

I just now joined

DON'T CLICK ON THE LINKS IN YOUR MESSAGES!!! The site must be compromised. I never sent you a private message. Filestore is a malware site. Other MRR forums have had the same issues recently. Someone needs to alert the administrators.
  9. Chevron_GATX

I just now joined

Oh, not at all, thanks! I wasn't aware of the San Pedro club—sounds interesting—especially since it's N-scale! Thanks for the head's-up! I haven't been to the Griffith Park club either—in fact, I've never been to any club! There's also one just a few miles from me I've been meaning to join, the...
  10. Chevron_GATX

I just now joined

Welcome! Nice to see another Angeleno here! I'm in the South Bay, just south of LAX. I also play guitar (badly), and have a ton of tube amps (my other hobby). My pride and joy is my Soldano SLO100, as well as my rack-mount Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, Dual-Recto (which sounds exactly like a Framus...
  11. Chevron_GATX

Changing Scales. What's the best way to get rid of HO stuff?

I switched from a H0 to N-scale when I re-entered the hobby last year. I had some brand new Kato Unitrack still in their boxes that I bought from a local hobby shop in Burbank, California (The Train Shack). I asked them for store creidt, and to my surprise, they issued me store credit for the...
  12. Chevron_GATX

Dc sound

As is typical with such products, technical specs are scant. I don't recall finding any specifications in the minimal Kato documentation, other than the fact that it has a line-level output jack (1/8"). Again, the sound from my Sony surround-system seems pretty good. Nice low-end from the...
  13. Chevron_GATX

Dc sound

At $209, the Kato SoundBox' price tag may seem a bit steep (it's currently in-stock, here at MTS), but I never run my railroad without it! So to me, it's been worth every penny. I expected that I just wouldn't be happy with the limited frequency-range of an in-loco speaker, especially in...
  14. Chevron_GATX

Dc sound

No, the sound does NOT come from the locos. It comes either from the small built-in speaker in the SoundBox (not very impressive), or, preferably from an external amplifier and speakers. However, even the cheapest external amp and speakers (even powered PC speakers) will sound significantly...
  15. Chevron_GATX

Dc sound

Kato SoundBox: I model N-scale and I have a Kato SoundBox connected to a 150W Sony 3.1 surround-sound external amplifier with a sub-woofer. It sounds amazing through it! The low-end ruble from the sub-woofer (even a cheap one) really notches up the realism! I have several Kato Soundtraxx...
  16. Chevron_GATX

I still argue that you can start small. In my 20s when I had limited funds, I bought an Athearn GP35, two dummy engines and some scattered rolling stock, plus an MRC Tech II controller (which I still have), and enough Atlas track to make a small oval. I also supplemented my Athearn rolling stock...
  17. Chevron_GATX

I would still argue that you can start small and have a lot of fun, even on a budget. You could buy a used Atlas GP35 in your favored roadname for about $40-$50. Buy some used or new rolling stock, since new rolling stock on sale can be as cheap as $11 per car. So for perhaps for a $100, you...
  18. Chevron_GATX

N-scale Kato Unitrack + Unitram layout: Small-build layout progress thread.

Sorry for the late reply (I don't often follow this board that regularly anymore). You can buy a Dynamis Ultima from Hatton's UK for about $375USD plus about $20 shipping to the US. I happened to luck out and got a new-in-the-box "used" system (everything looked brand new, including all factory...
  19. Chevron_GATX

Brands you like the most and why?

N-scale locomotives: Best detail: • ScaleTrains • Broadway Locomotive Works • Fox Valley Models Good overall: • Kato • Atlas Master Line • Athearn Good value: • Walthers Certain Kato and Atlas Master Line locos are nearly as detailed as the premium brands first listed. Kato tends to have...
  20. Chevron_GATX

Why the huge fluctuation in participation here at the Model Railroad Forums?

This forum was my "starter" forum when I re-entered the hobby in 2016. I had a lot of help from regular forum contributors like @bnsf971, @montanan, and others, for all of my newbie questions (since then, I've acquired multiple DCC systems, a dedicated PC-control railroad system, and something...

Back