Search results

1. NateJ

MILW caboose stenciling question

I've been seeing a few pics of Milwaukee Road bay window cabooses with either the letters "WAM" or "WASH ST" stenciled below the bay windows, and I'm curious as to what they mean. Any thoughts?
  2. NateJ

Assistance designing a sawmill area

I originally wanted to use the Walthers Cornerstone Mountain Lumber Co. kit and outbuildings, but it's way too big for the space I have, plus I'm not very skilled with large kits. I'm kinda leaning towards the Buzz's Sawmill from Woodland Scenics which has the advantages of being pre-built and...
  3. NateJ

Taking some of the advice given here, I think I've finally come up with two possible track arrangements for the sawmill. Both make use of Dave's rough-in idea and Rico's suggestion to turn my LPG stub into a siding extension. In both arrangements, the two parallel tracks will be for the...
  4. NateJ

I like your thinking. That would give me plenty of room for switching, and since the loading and unloading will probably have to be done from the same track, the longer siding will allow me to store lumber cars there while log cars are being worked and vice-versa. That stub was originally going...
  5. NateJ

Okay I get it now, thank you for roughing that in. I suppose I could use that "Scrapyard" track for woodchip loading if I wanted. Are there any good kits for small sawmills? I'll have to get some dimensions for a building so I can get a better sense of what I'm working with. I'm about to head to...
  6. NateJ

You mean this stub track? Sorry I'm a little confused.
  7. NateJ

My layout will be mid to late-70s era, so would woodchip operations be at least semi-prototypical for the era? My original plan was to use one track for incoming and outgoing materials, but I wasn't sure how realistic it was, but it looks like you made it work really good. What I might do is...
  8. NateJ

I decided to make a last-minute revision to my track plan and make a better sawmill area, but I'm stuck on how to design it. The area might be too small for this, but I'd like to have a track where log cars are unloaded, a track where finished lumber is loaded onto flatcars or into boxcars, and...
  9. NateJ

What are you buying this Month?

Nothing of note. Some lumber to finish the benchwork for my layout and maybe some track. Money's pretty tight for me right now, so I'll have to buy all the track I need a little bit at a time.
  10. NateJ

First HO layout underway!

I plan to have all the switches be remote operated (Budget allowing) so hopefully won't have to access the far side unless it's an emergency. In layman's terms, the benchwork will just two 4'x8' tables in an L shape with one having an accessibility cutout. The table that doesn't require the...
  11. NateJ

All except the 12' side as it will be against a wall. The curved cutout should allow me to access the far side though. Everything else will be accessible as is.
  12. NateJ

For sure. The placement of the buildings, roads, and trees is just temporary of course. The only change I foresee myself having to make might be adding a second stub track the sawmill area (The one stub track on the left) so I can have woodchip cars and a loader for the chips.
  13. NateJ

Getting back into the the game after being out for a while (For various reasons) and just finished the final plan for my HO scale layout. I've had a couple of "Plywood Pacific" projects that never went anywhere as well as a couple of second-hand layouts from Craigslist, but this will be my first...
  14. NateJ

Motive power on the Milwaukee Road Coast Division 18th Subdivision

I'm constructing a 2'x8' HO scale shelf layout representing the Milwaukee Road Coast Division's 18th Subdivision between Centralia and Chehalis (I eventually want to expand to Maytown and Curtis pending new housing) and would like some direction as to what locomotives I should purchase. The few...
  15. NateJ

No layout? What is your favorite part of hobby?

I like model railroading because I can depict a long-gone railroad in a long-gone era (That railroad being the Milwaukee Road in Chehalis WA in the early 70s). My layout is not built for intricate operations using waybills, track warrants, fast clocks, and so on (It's only 2x8 x 8x2), but I...
  16. NateJ

Walthers log cars

I was browsing the web today and came across these two photos on www.ho-scaletrains.net Chehalis Western Milwaukee Road According to the site, these are Walthers HO scale logging flatcars from the late 1990s. Every site I've looked on doesn't have them in stock, which is frustrating...
  17. NateJ

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Sirfoldalot: No major damage, just some burnt, worn brake pads.
  18. NateJ

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

When driving your sister's brand new 2016 Kia Forte, make sure the parking brake is OFF first before you head out. What you don't wanna do is drive 2 miles, completely ignoring the sluggish response of the gas pedal, before realizing your mistake and having to explain the burnt smell in her new...
  19. NateJ

Sadness...

I had the same problem, but I've since built a layout with gentler curves that can handle the locomotive (Which I gutted the internals out of and made into a dummy). In my opinion, the "Best looking diesel" award would go to the E8 (With runner-up going to the SD10).
  20. NateJ

Milwaukee & Western Alco RS-11/Baldwin VO-1000...

Loving the progress so far, keep it up. I'm a Milwaukee Road fan myself, so I'll be keeping an eye on this project.

Back