Search results

1. F

Cleaning old American Flyer track?

Don't see forum for American Flyer, so I guess it goes here... This track has some major rust on it I cleaned a few (first photo) with a 2-wheel grinder (the steel wire-brush wheel) but that just cleans the surface of the rail. I don't like using a grinder, I am afraid it will spit it the rail...
  2. F

O-Gauge or Lionel?

I have some freight cars I am trying to sell, but I am not sure if they are O-Scale or Lionel. Is there a difference? Can you tell from the trucks? The wheel-span appears, on these two cars, to be slightly less wide than some others which I know are not Lionel. And the knuckle couplers are much...
  3. F

Broken Tie Connector Leather Repair - Loco-to-Tender

I broke two of these connectors just while handling the locomotive and tender. They are not metal (I think because there's not supposed to be any possible electrical connection between the two units), but the little tie is brittle, and not too much stronger than cardboard. They refuse to be...
  4. F

Anyone know who made this?

Searched, and even partially disassembled the 4-4-2 but can not find any manufacturer mark on the locomotive or tender. It came with a set of Chicago and Northwestern passenger cars, which I believe were made by Roundhouse. But the loco seems like a different style, even though the decals are...
  5. F

HOe = N Gauge?

I found a couple of these at a local auction. They are "Egger-Bahn" - HOe scale. Does anyone know if they will run on N scale layout?
  6. F

AMERICAN FLYER Pre War 4019 Electric Diesel

This runs on three rails, so it would be AC, right? The wheels turn freely (although I did clean out a hornet's nest attached to the undercarriage), but no joy when I attach transformer lead to center push roller, and the other lead to one of the wheels...any suggestions?
  7. F

Testing An American Flyer 314AW Locomotive

Found an American Flyer 314AW at an auction Saturday and am trying to test it. The accompanying track is badly corroded, so for now just using the leads from a transformer to test the locomotive. I put the leads from the transformer on the two brass button-like terminals in the cab of the...
  8. F

Looking for extended couplers

Does anyone know where i can find this type of coupler, or the whole truck? The one on the other end of the car is missing. The car is a Bachmann, HO scale.
  9. F

Synonym for "Railroading"

Can someone think of another word for "operating/running a model railroad"? There is a word I can not quite remember, I have heard it before. It's something like "railroading" or "operating" or "onlining" "onborading", "mainlining, maintaining" Can anyone think of this word I am trying to think...
  10. F

Marx Mystery

Anybody know what this is? I got it in a box of miscellaneous Marx, at the auction. My friend said it was some kind of switch, that the heavy car going over it would flip a switch, and it does fit the track...also in the flat were 3 trackside metal "Uncouple Here" signs.
  11. F

Anyone know what company brand this is?

Recently there were two auctions here in rural Kansas, featuring HO trains, in adjacent cities, 3 days apart. They were sparsely attended (some of the finely detailed station buildings, churches, factories, were picked up by one lady as "toys" for her 8-year-old) but I managed to pick quite a...
  12. F

Swimming Pool Car

Picked up these unique items up at a recent auction here in Kansas. Everything was HO. The last item on the agenda was the layout itself. The seller had built it into the garage, and it was about 20' by 35'-40'. The middle part was open, where the operator could stand. One side was urban, the...
  13. F

How to test 1930's Lionel Standard gauge Locomotive?

Hi, I was lucky to get this heavy pair at an auction yesterday. They seem to be in good condition - no corrosion. My question is how do you test it? it's not the regular Lionel, it's the Standard Gauge, I believe, as Lionel dubbed it. I do have Lionel transformers from the 1950's, is it okay...
  14. F

O Gauge DC or AC

I am trying to test this diesel, it is O-gauge, and weighs in at a good 6.5 pounds. Looks clean. It runs on DC voltage, right? When I touch one lead from the transformer to the right-side wheel, and the other lead to the other wheel, nothing happens. This could be because A) the engine doesn't...
  15. F

Help with 2-Rail O-Scale.

There was a huge auction, and I got a number of vintage pieces, what I think are wooden Walther's passenger car kits. The estate owner had taped a note to two of them: "Walther's 2 Rail." I do want to test them, to see if the inside lights work, but all I have is Lionel 3-rail track. I did get...

Back