Search results

1. PrairieKnight

DCC Bus wire question

We are expanding the layout by adding a 2' X 4' section onto the existing yard section of our L shaped layout. The layout is powered by NCE Power Cab DCC. The bus wires are 14 gauge. The feeder wires are Atlas code 83 track connector type (22gauge). I have very limited electrical skills. All...
  2. PrairieKnight

Has anyone purchased from Train Sets Only?

I am expanding the layout and have been looking online for track, roadbed, and turnouts. I am looking for Atlas track, turnouts, and Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. I came across the Train Sets Only website. Their prices seem reasonable and their shipping is not outrageous. Has anyone...
  3. PrairieKnight

What type of glue should I use?

I picked up these three vehicles at my LHS. The forklifts are a combination of metal and plastic. What would be the best type of glue to assemble the forklifts? I am thinking super glue.
  4. PrairieKnight

To ballast or not to ballast......

I am getting to the point where I am ready to ballast the track on my layout. I plan on using Woodland Scenics ballast. I plan on using a glue/water mixture along with wet water. My question is.... what do you use when you have to loosen/remove ballast in order to work on and /or replace...
  5. PrairieKnight

Car Cards and Way Bills for Dummies.......

My son and I would like to start a car card/ way bill system on our layout. We read the three article series published recently in MRR. However, the articles were a bit confusing as neither of us have ever had any experience with any type of card system for model railroading. Does anyone have...
  6. PrairieKnight

Covering Track

I want to start putting ground cover down on the sub-roadbed. I plan on using real dirt, ready mix cement powder, and dried tea leaves as ground cover. My question is in regards to covering the track when I put down the glue/water mix, sprinkle the ground cover, and saturate the area with hair...
  7. PrairieKnight

Sanded grout......

I was reading an article starting on page 26 of the March MR about Building the Wingate in O scale. On page 28 there is a picture that shows sanded grout being used to model roads. I did not see any other mention of sanded grout in the article other then the wording under this one photo. Has...
  8. PrairieKnight

Anyone else working from home?

First of all, I hope that everyone is staying healthy during this challenging time. I have my own thoughts about the current health concerns in the world but I want to stay away from anything remotely political here. I was told today that I am to work from home starting tomorrow. So.... along...
  9. PrairieKnight

Measuring track on my layout

I was at my LHS this weekend talking and dreaming with others that were there. One of the gentlemen asked me how many feet of track I have on my layout. I actually have no idea. I have a mixture of pre-packaged sections and "cut to fit" flex track. Does anyone have a good method for...
  10. PrairieKnight

Lesson learned: Build it where you run it..

My son and I built our 2 X 8 yard addition and got the track pieced together on the 3/4 foam sub-roadbed: The above picture shows the new 2 X 8 yard section hooked up the 4 X 8 section. Everything was great until I rolled a car onto the yard section from the 4 X 8 to make sure that the track...
  11. PrairieKnight

Is there really an Atlas track shortage???

I just returned home from a trip to my LHS. I was looking for Atlas code 83 track and turn outs for an addition to our layout that my son and I will be working on tomorrow. I did not find much in the way of Atlas track or turn outs at the shop. I was told that Atlas track is hard to come by...
  12. PrairieKnight

7127 Hesitates in a turnout......

I am having an issue with a Walther's Proto GP 60 Locomotive. This particular locomotive - 7127 will hesitate ( slow down and sound cuts out} as it pulls forward through one of the 17 Atlas remote snap switches on my layout. This is at speed step three on my NCE Power Cab DCC system. The...
  13. PrairieKnight

NCE Power Cab "Recall"

I am using NCE Power Cab on my HO layout. I now have 3 locomotives and a switcher. All 4 of these units perform well with my NCE system. My issue is that I can only use the "recall" button on my handheld controller on two of these four units at a time. According to the directions in the NCE...
  14. PrairieKnight

Different type of feeder connector...….

I used suitcase connectors on the first part of my layout to connect the 22 gauge feeder wires to the 14 gauge bus wires. Although they seemed to work alright at the time I installed them, I did not have a real good feeling with folding the end of the 22 gauge wire over after stripping the end...
  15. PrairieKnight

Feeders and Turnouts

I am starting to build a 2 X 8 section to add onto my current 4 X 8. The 2 X 8 will be a yard. I used Atlas remote turnouts #540 and #541 on the 4 X 8. I have some extra of these Atlas remote turnouts for the 2 X 8. I plan on staying with the #540s and #541s but not the remote type. I plan...
  16. PrairieKnight

Atlas remote snap switch burn out........

There have been some recent posts regarding Atlas snap switches. My son and I had a weird thing happen during an ops session this past Saturday. Everything was running great when all of a sudden one of the Atlas 18" remote snap switches would not throw when the Atlas button was pushed on the...
  17. PrairieKnight

Using real dirt......

I am contemplating using real dirt on my layout for ground cover. I have been reading where this is quite a process: 1. Sift the dirt through a couple different sized strainers/screens. Depending on how fine a dirt you want to use. 2. Put the dirt in a blender. And if my wife asks... you do...
  18. PrairieKnight

Connecting layout sections when adding on......

I want to start by thanking everyone that has responded to my many questions. My layout would not be where it is today if it were not for the advice and suggestions from you folks. It is greatly appreciated. I am at a point with expanding my 4' X 8' HO layout to where I am buying the building...
  19. PrairieKnight

NCE Powercab question. Will there be enough power........

I am planning on expanding my current 4' X 8' layout by adding a 2' X 8' section. Does anyone know of a way that I can determine if my NCE Powercab will be able to power the proposed addition. My turnouts on the present 4 X 8 are Atlas remote snap switches powered by a separate power source. I...
  20. PrairieKnight

Questions on expanding a 4 X 8

Here is my present 4X8. Powered by NCE DCC. I used Atlas code 83 track along with 16 Atlas snap switches. 14 of which are 18"radius ( I think they are Atlas 540 and 541). The two turnouts on either end of the mainline outside oval are Atlas 22" curved snap switches. All turnouts are remote...

Back