Search results

1. PrairieKnight

Walthers GP35

I love all five of my Walther's Proto locomotives. I usually wait until the end of the run and get them for around 260 instead of the brand new 320 or more price. One thing I will suggest is that if you ever need servicing on a Walther's Proto... send it back to Walther's to have the work...
  2. PrairieKnight

Can oval layouts bring enough satisfaction?

Hi Homer, I had the same questions when I built my 4 X 8 double oval 12 years ago. I based my original 4 X 8 on the "Virginian" layout which I found in an old issue of MR. Here are a few pics of where I started 12 years ago and where I am still building onto the layout as I type this: The...
  3. PrairieKnight

Let's give kudos to GREAT customer service

Mine would be Walther's. I took two Walther's Proto locomotives to a LHS for repair. These locomotives were 6 years old. The LHS had the locomotives for a very long time with no results as to fixing the locomotives. I got the two locomotives back and contacted Walther's directly through their...
  4. PrairieKnight

Is a 5x7 space good for my first model railway?

Depending on your answer to Willie's question, if you do have a room that is larger than the 5 X 7 layout, you could start with a 5 X7 and place turn outs on an outer oval that will allow for expansion later without tearing the whole thing up. I started with a 4 X 8 double oval. I placed...
  5. PrairieKnight

Kadee Couplers

I did not know that Iron...Thanks.
  6. PrairieKnight

Kadee Couplers

I like the #5 and #148 couplers also....but I ran into an issue that caused me to install extended shank Kadee #26 couplers on my Walthers Proto and Trainline locomotives. The issue I was having was the fact that my Atlas code 83 18 inch radius turnouts were not playing well with the couplers...
  7. PrairieKnight

DCC Bus wire question

I wanted to post a follow up and a few photos. I appreciate all the posts on this. I used T-tap connections to run the bus to the new section #3 from section #2 just as KB suggested and Iron drew on the diagram in his post. I also used T-tap connections for the feeder wires as I have in the...
  8. PrairieKnight

DCC Bus wire question

Great question Iron. I did not plan on expanding the layout past the 2' X 8' yard (section #2). Well.. actually... I lied to my wife and told her that my son and I would not take any further space in the basement past the addition of section #2. We started drawing up plans for expansion soon...
  9. PrairieKnight

DCC Bus wire question

We are expanding the layout by adding a 2' X 4' section onto the existing yard section of our L shaped layout. The layout is powered by NCE Power Cab DCC. The bus wires are 14 gauge. The feeder wires are Atlas code 83 track connector type (22gauge). I have very limited electrical skills. All...
  10. PrairieKnight

Has anyone purchased from Train Sets Only?

I wanted to post a follow up. I placed an order with Train Sets Only on Sunday night 3/27/2022. I used the option of Priority US Mail for shipping which charged me 9.84. I received my order today, Thursday 3/31. The order was correct and I will definitely order from them again. I did...
  11. PrairieKnight

Has anyone purchased from Train Sets Only?

I am expanding the layout and have been looking online for track, roadbed, and turnouts. I am looking for Atlas track, turnouts, and Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. I came across the Train Sets Only website. Their prices seem reasonable and their shipping is not outrageous. Has anyone...
  12. PrairieKnight

Track bedway

I am a big fan of the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. I found it very easy to work with. I have done my curves just like the video that Iron has on his post. I think it is very easy to use when placing turnouts on a layout. The other thing that I like about the foam is that you can purchase...
  13. PrairieKnight

Woodland Scenics Grass Applicator

Howdy Greg, I like my Woodland Scenics Static Grass applicator. Depending on how much area you will be covering with it, you might want to purchase the plug in power supply that can be used to power the unit. When I purchased my applicator, the plug in power supply did not come with...
  14. PrairieKnight

Lost in the Woods Switching Layout

Sir.... I agree with Rico... your weathering on locomotives and rolling stock looks very good. What do you use? acrylic washes? air brush? powders? Would love to know your techniques.
  15. PrairieKnight

Woodland Scenics Track-Bed

I used the Woodland scenics track bed and found it easy to work with. I painted it grey with cheap craft paint before securing it to the green insulation (from Lowe's) that I used for sub-road bed. I then used Elmer's to glue the track to the roadbed. I used nails to secure turnouts. This...
  16. PrairieKnight

Electrical issue with turnout

Sir... OK, I think I got it. I appreciate the explanation
  17. PrairieKnight

Electrical issue with turnout

This is an interesting thread. I have posted before regarding problems with Atlas code 83 remote snap switches on my layout. I believe they are numbers 540 and 541. I think that these are #4 switches. I have always referred to the excellent advice that Traction Fan has provided in diagnosing...
  18. PrairieKnight

What type of glue should I use?

I appreciate the suggestions. Willie..... Super glue did the trick. However, it was a challenge assembling the flat bed truck. After prying my fingers apart a couple times as the three pieces of the model would not hold together... I read the instructions. This kit was made from "polyester"...
  19. PrairieKnight

What type of glue should I use?

I picked up these three vehicles at my LHS. The forklifts are a combination of metal and plastic. What would be the best type of glue to assemble the forklifts? I am thinking super glue.
  20. PrairieKnight

Greetings from Central Ohio!

Welcome Jeff. The folks on this forum are great and have helped me a lot. You are very lucky to be in central Ohio. whenever I visit relatives there I go to Smoke Stack hobby shop in Lancaster. Those guys are great. Speaking of which..... I think I better drive over to Ohio and check on Mom...

Back