Search results

1. J

Ready to go but cant design a layout I am happy with

Hi guys , its been a while since I have been able to " play trains " but now it looks like I am finally going to get to retire and enjoy some much needed unwind time . I have also taken over ( with permission from SWMBO ) a larger room . I thought that would solve a lot of problems for me but...
  2. J

coupler retainer ID

I just picked up a few used cars and on a couple of them they are missing a small metal piece that snaps down over a molded coupler box and pin . I don't know what brand of cars they are , I can not find any name on them . The piece that is missing is similar to the snap on top of a Kadee gear...
  3. J

Athern quality questions

When I first started model railroading I bought a couple Atlas engines and was very happy with how they ran so I stayed with Atlas throughout the years . Unfortunately Atlas does not seem interested in putting out new releases in DRGW anymore and they don't make steam locos . I did by a BLI...
  4. J

Junk and Clutter

Does any one make HO scale bulk packs of junk and clutter that you would find out along the buildings and in the yards? I guess I am thinking something along the lines of sets of one hundred figures only with misc. boxes , barrels , old tires , bicycles , car pieces , all those treasures that we...
  5. J

Sanding towers

I am just finishing up a Walthers sanding tower and dry house kit. The kit comes with 2 towers . Would it make sense to use both towers or would the railroad have taken the tower for steam service (smaller tower) down when they put up the diesel service ( larger tower ) tower ? I am modeling...
  6. J

turning your trains around

How do you do it? I was wondering what the most common ways of turning your loco's around were on our model railroads. In my case , I think I may have to go with a turntable . I cant , at this point put in a reverse loop and a Wye would take up more real estate than I care to use . I could just...
  7. J

Coal cars

What was the typical size for a coal car in the transition era? I need to get a few to deliver coal to the coaling tower but not sure what to get . Thanks.
  8. J

Model railroad season

Well , its looks like model railroad season is coming to an end up here in the northern hemisphere . Board traffic has really started dropping off and that usually means that spring has sprung!!!
  9. J

coaling tower question

I am in the process of finishing a coaling tower now and have a color question .After looking around at coaling tower pictures ( all I have found are washed out older photos and black and whites ) I think that from what I can tell they were just unpainted wood and lots and lots of coal dust ...
  10. J

putting wheels in gauge

I have a few cars that have wheel sets that are a bit wider than they should be and I was wondering how I fix this? Can in be compressed to proper width or is it a new wheel set fix? If it is a compression fix what is the best way to do that? Thanks.
  11. J

attaching structures

How do you go about attaching a structure to the layout ? My thoughts were just a couple small dabs of silicone so that it is stationary enough to landscape up to ( roads or parking lots ) but if you have/want to move it you don't have to destroy it in the process .Opinions or alternatives?
  12. J

What happened to Tony?

Any body heard from Tony ( wombat) lately? Hope he is OK.
  13. J

members featured photos

Where do those photos in the header above the main menu page come from?
  14. J

NCE power cab question

I have the NCE power cab and I was trying to increase the number of recall , but I cant seem to make that happen . I hook up the cab to the program track set-up . go into cab set-up and find the recalls and change the amount to 4 . Then plug the cab back into the mainline and it only keeps 2...
  15. J

Trestle bent question

In the real world , how would the railroad handle this situation? On the trestle I am building now , I have all the full length bents done and now I am getting ready to do the ones that go up and down the incline . Lets say that my cross ties on the bents are 10 feet apart but with the...
  16. J

Sondtraxx decoders

How are these decoders at improving slow speed performance?
  17. J

Atlas Classic series

Are the Atlas Classic series DCC ready? I have an opportunity to buy a couple decorated for my road but if they are not basically plug and play , they are beyond my dcc skill set.
  18. J

decoder and low speed and no speed

I don't really understand anything about decoders and setting CV's and such , so I figured I would just ask those that do understand , my questions. I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 that is decorated for Durango and Silverton RR and the slow speed performance is poor . I figured it might be when I bought...
  19. J

RS-3's and GP-7 / 9

I am looking for these locos , DCC and sound , and it seems that the only ones available are Bachmann's or Athearn Genesis . I have one Bachmann and although it is not a bad model , I would prefer to get something a bit better . I have an Atlas S-2 that is way quieter , smoother and better...
  20. J

BearClaw Valley Railroad

Guys , I should have started my other threads here to begin with so it would all be contained in on spot , but as they say , hindsight is 20/20 . Anyways , I will post the rest of my escapades here so that other new people like me can maybe learn through my mistakes instead of making them on...

Back