Search results

1. J

Benchwork Construction - My Lessons Learned

where did you get your homasote board? I live in colorado and can not find it anywhere. Very nice neat work , it will pay dividends down the road should any changes or adjustments need to be made.
  2. J

Lots of HO stuff for sale. Locos, rolling stock, track, DCC system, tools, etc.

I could be interested in transition era cars and D&RG loco's if you have anything to fit that bill
  3. J

Modifying the Walther's Lumber Mill?

sorry , late to the conversation . I agree with you about the windows , that being said you might be able to change the look to more old timey by cutting a couple of them out and turning them into big doors and also "boarding " some of them off . That will also offer some weathering...
  4. J

A beginner's layout

Paul , I have found that an initial cleaning by hand works best for me , and then you can maintain that with a track cleaning car .The layout is looking very good !!
  5. J

Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

very nice Lloyd . How did you weather those fence panels?
  6. J

Ready to go but cant design a layout I am happy with

I am using both , I run gp7"s and 9's along with some smaller units . My biggest steam is a 2-8-0 consolidation and I have a couple of F-9 units . Manufactures all state an 18 inch minimum radius
  7. J

So if I were to put straight sections inbetween the curves , that would allow me to lessen my grade but still keep the peninsula more narrow , correct? It will need to be a double track and I am thinking a 24 inch inside curve ( 1.51% ) and a 27 inch outside curve ( 1.38% ) with a 24 inch...
  8. J

GeeTee , you state that yours is a 30 inch radius , what is the grade ? Thanks for the pictures . how does it work? Dave , what is the radius and grade for the one in your photo's ? Thank you also for the pictures . How does your helix work in terms of operations problems? Let me ask this...
  9. J

Willie , I agree with you that it WILL happen and it WILL ALWAYS BE ON A HIDDEN AREA . Unfortunately the thought of a constant grade running along the wall down three sides of the layout is not that appealing to me and as KB says I am not sure that even using all the available wall space I...
  10. J

Hi guys , its been a while since I have been able to " play trains " but now it looks like I am finally going to get to retire and enjoy some much needed unwind time . I have also taken over ( with permission from SWMBO ) a larger room . I thought that would solve a lot of problems for me but...
  11. J

Manual Turnout Control by Cable

Here are the pliers I was referring to Brian...
  12. J

Manual Turnout Control by Cable

Brian , they make a special set of pliers that will put in a perfect Z bend . It makes both bends at once . You can purchase them at Tower Hobbies ( along with all the assorted parts you may need ) . I think you will find that if you work from the switch to the fascia , rather than from the...
  13. J

My unnamed railroad... the beginnings... (Can't think of a name yet...lol)

I agree with Rico about covering the ceiling , sooner rather than later . You dont want to have to dodge track or treasures and sheetrocking a ceiling can be messy ( atleast it is when I do it :) ) Nice start , the bench work is plenty substantial .
  14. J

New Layout

Beautiful finishing Lynn , They look exactly like what an old structure next to the sea would look like !! Excellent
  15. J

Larger rock/grass/dirt face... New to forums

for your hillside you may want to consider clump foliage . Again you tube is your friend , there are several videos on how to make your own . When you have to cover a lot of hillside you may also want to consider using the puffball method , just kind of depends on what look you are going for .
  16. J

Larger rock/grass/dirt face... New to forums

I have to ask , how are you going to fasten the track down where it runs through the mountain? Maybe I am not understanding something here. The molds you can buy are very flexible allowing for rock castings to be put on uneven surfaces quite easily , as long as you place them while the plaster...
  17. J

San Luis and Rio Grande Track plan for Critiques

If you were to run all the way to the south end of the valley , you could include logging and mining in your operations , depending on what era you are modeling . Creede was a source of ore for many years , albeit on narrow gauge . Today they store cars on the track all the way down to southfork...
  18. J

Layout Eye Line

nice scene Greg , I like the idea of the lights on the structure above the tracks . My apologies to the OP , I did not mean to hijack the thread.
  19. J

Layout Eye Line

Greg , don't you find that by viewing at eye level you miss things that are further back , especially if they are smaller than items in front of them?
  20. J

Layout Eye Line

Greg , how tall are you?

Back