Search results

1. paper-tiger

Railroad Clubs (or Enthusiasts!) in NE Iowa/SW Wisconsin/ SE Minnesota rural area?

Hi, there! Does anyone know of a group in the SE Minnesota/SW Wisconsin/NE Iowa area that does model railroading? Or even, like, one or two other people? I have attended the Mad City rail show, and the LaCrosse train show pretty religiously for several years, but never really encountered someone...
  2. paper-tiger

Toadsuck Canning Co Acquisition (for Sale to Right Person)

I recently acquired a seemingly perfect "Toadsuck Canning Co" kit in HO scale. It's beautiful, none of the 3 internal packages have been opened. The documentation is complete, so far as I can tell, and it includes an actual photograph of the kit 'built up'. I found it at a ridiculously high...
  3. paper-tiger

Sophisticated Finishes - looking for a deal

Hi again guys! I have a few 'copper' roofing bits and some 'steel' bridges that I would very much like to try out the Triangle Sophisticated Finishes line of paints on. Specifically, I'm interested in Steel and Rust, and Copper and Patina (Green or Blue). When I went looking for it, though, the...
  4. paper-tiger

Water Mill Help and Elevator Advice

Hi guys! I'm slowly progressing on my my tiny 4x8 layout, but I'm relying on your advice and opinions on a couple of topics, because I'm torn... I want to put a water mill in a certain place, and I want to recreate the spirit of this building: motormill.org, the Motor Mill in rural Elkader, IA...
  5. paper-tiger

Light-sealing models

Hi guys! I'm working on remodeling a church I got from eBay that someone had built up (not particularly well) and never bothered to paint. I spent quite a lot of time on it so far and really love the stained glass windows, so I think it would look amazing if it was lit, but my test showed that...
  6. paper-tiger

Curved Operating Crossing?

Hi, guys! I'm looking for recommendations on how to achieve "working" lights and if possible mechanical gate arms for "working" crossings. Because of my layout, each of the three places my road crosses are over curved track, so a snap fit crossing type is not going to achieve it. I am wondering...
  7. paper-tiger

Madison, WI Train Show Feb 21-22

Is anybody going to the train show in Madison, next weekend? Ever been before? I'd like to go, if my tax return comes through! Wondering if it's worth the 4 hour drive, though.
  8. paper-tiger

Working HO Intermodal Crane?

I am looking for a "working", motorized or whatever they're called overhead intermodal crane for my son's HO scale layout. I saw the Heljan Plastic one, but it is not only no longer available, but was $750! Good grief. The only one that I can seem to find for actual purchase is the Walthers...
  9. paper-tiger

I made it!

I posted enough times to qualify for a railroady label! Considering that I'm usually a reader/lurker and not a poster... I'm proud of myself. hehehehe
  10. paper-tiger

More Newbie Questions

Hi again! Thank you all for your help so far- I would have given up in total frustration on this hobby about fifteen SNAFUs ago without your advice. I have a few more newbie questions, and I've discovered that I have FAR better luck simply asking you active lot of experts than trolling the...
  11. paper-tiger

Congested Urban Areas

For anyone who lives in or near or is modeling a congested urban area... What sort of buildings tend to be right next to the tracks. Preferably the tallest ones you can think of. I have this small space with some unnatural height to it, and I would like to kind of kitbash two different scenes in...
  12. paper-tiger

Ground Goop, Ballast, Materials Questions

It's amazing how a layer of plaster cloth can add a look of legitimacy! And now, I'm ready for the 'ground goop' step... At least, for this end of the table. I've been looking at 'recipes' on the internet. I have several colors of paint to mix for somewhere near the shade I want and lots of...
  13. paper-tiger

Csi: Ttfh

Crime Scene Investigation: Train Table From Heaven Hello, all! I'm a newcomer to the forum and to the hobby, but I have very swiftly learned that you are a friendly community interested in a challenge and willing to help. The following is from a train table that I snatched up from the local...
  14. paper-tiger

Blue Line Layout - Comments/Suggestions Please!

http://www.paper-tiger.org/2014/12/09/riverside-blue-line-layout-rethink/ Apologies for the remote link for image and further verbosely extended description. The forum apparently does not play well with attachments from iPads and my family is monopolizing the desktop... Hello there! This is the...
  15. paper-tiger

Label-Making

I have decided (after all two models I've attempted so far) that I really, really hate waterslide decals. "Slide" is definitely a misnomer! I just thought the Internet should know that. I also discovered that the teeny-weeny repeating notice setting on my label maker printed text the exact...
  16. paper-tiger

EZ Track Troubleshooting (Bachmannn HO EZ-Track)

My apologies for the generic entry. I can't figure out permissions to make a profile picture etc. I'm a real person - my website is http://paper-tiger.org/. (I make zero money on your clicks - I pay for my space and my bandwidth.) My name is Molly, I'm a mom from rural Iowa with a special needs...

Back