Search results

1. paper-tiger

Railroad Clubs (or Enthusiasts!) in NE Iowa/SW Wisconsin/ SE Minnesota rural area?

Hi, there! Does anyone know of a group in the SE Minnesota/SW Wisconsin/NE Iowa area that does model railroading? Or even, like, one or two other people? I have attended the Mad City rail show, and the LaCrosse train show pretty religiously for several years, but never really encountered someone...
  2. paper-tiger

Toadsuck Canning Co Acquisition (for Sale to Right Person)

I recently acquired a seemingly perfect "Toadsuck Canning Co" kit in HO scale. It's beautiful, none of the 3 internal packages have been opened. The documentation is complete, so far as I can tell, and it includes an actual photograph of the kit 'built up'. I found it at a ridiculously high...
  3. paper-tiger

Sophisticated Finishes - looking for a deal

Hi again guys! I have a few 'copper' roofing bits and some 'steel' bridges that I would very much like to try out the Triangle Sophisticated Finishes line of paints on. Specifically, I'm interested in Steel and Rust, and Copper and Patina (Green or Blue). When I went looking for it, though, the...
  4. paper-tiger

Water Mill Help and Elevator Advice

Thanks for the feedback everybody! @Iron Horseman - the elevator is definitely supposed to work with the town - I'd like to put a co-op gas station on the other side of the parking lot. For now, I just stuck all my buildings on there regardless of their state of completion, just to get a feel...
  5. paper-tiger

Water Mill Help and Elevator Advice

Hi guys! I'm slowly progressing on my my tiny 4x8 layout, but I'm relying on your advice and opinions on a couple of topics, because I'm torn... I want to put a water mill in a certain place, and I want to recreate the spirit of this building: motormill.org, the Motor Mill in rural Elkader, IA...
  6. paper-tiger

Light-sealing models

Thank you! I am hoping so; I'm using the flashlight to accentuate problems so I won't have them after I've spent all the detailing hours on the outside of the model. And maybe to give me ideas and experience for when the models get bigger and more complex. My LEDs and on/off switches for this...
  7. paper-tiger

Light-sealing models

Oh, and it's a "Cathedral Snap Kit" by Bachmann. http://www.hobbylinc.com/bachmann-cathedral-snap-kit-ho-scale-model-railroad-building-45192 So, not as special as I thought it was. But good to know. :)
  8. paper-tiger

The BC and F Railway

I am thoroughly enjoying the extreme realism of your railroad. Soaring drills in the distance and tiny stretches of track across a complete void. I love it! No, seriously... That wasn't sarcasm. It pleases me to see someone else's table looking like mine does 99.2% of the time (the other .8% is...
  9. paper-tiger

Light-sealing models

Thank you guys for the great advice! I used a little bit of all of it, and watched the Woodland Scenics Light Block Kit video to see how to kludge my own 'kit'. I used the dark brown caulk around the edges and a thick layer of black acrylic paint on the entire inside (except the windows, of...
  10. paper-tiger

2-8-0's?

@Montanan, the weathered engine and boxcar in your first posted photo are gorgeous! That train looks like it has been running down a gravel road all summer. hehehe
  11. paper-tiger

Light-sealing models

Hi guys! I'm working on remodeling a church I got from eBay that someone had built up (not particularly well) and never bothered to paint. I spent quite a lot of time on it so far and really love the stained glass windows, so I think it would look amazing if it was lit, but my test showed that...
  12. paper-tiger

hinged track

You know, depending on the distance to be bridged, that might actually work... Assuming you had your bridge going across empty space, and could find a kit or builder... I'm also imagining a push-button 'elevator' that lifts your entire scenic-ed section vertically, then returns to the original...
  13. paper-tiger

Csi: Ttfh

Thanks guys! :D
  14. paper-tiger

I did some scenic-ing as a break from the mechanical bits and to see whether or not I could, and I'm enormously proud of myself, so I had to share! More details and general blathering on my blog: http://www.paper-tiger.org/2015/03/13/rocks-grass-and-chain-link/
  15. paper-tiger

Curved Operating Crossing?

If it's built for curve, I would actually be very happy with a pressure plate version. I saw a vintage one yesterday in a hobby shop for sort-of-decent, but it was based on straight track. I've never found curved crossings.
  16. paper-tiger

Holy buckets, I had no idea it was so expensive! I was imagining a detector attached to a mechanical lever and a switch. Do you have this on your layout?
  17. paper-tiger

Hi, guys! I'm looking for recommendations on how to achieve "working" lights and if possible mechanical gate arms for "working" crossings. Because of my layout, each of the three places my road crosses are over curved track, so a snap fit crossing type is not going to achieve it. I am wondering...
  18. paper-tiger

Exactly, IronHorseman. Thank you. :)
  19. paper-tiger

Bankng turns

Somewhere, I remember seeing a how-to guide for this that used different-length layers of masking tape to achieve the minuscule graduated height necessary for HO scale. My Google-fu is failing me at the moment for finding the original article, but at least reinforces that the idea exists...
  20. paper-tiger

Thank you everybody on your help with this project so far... Here are some updated pictures and an idea of what I've been up to with this. http://www.paper-tiger.org/2015/02/25/ttfh-update/

Back