Search results

1. J

Scaling up the Inglenook

A variation of your question might be answered by use of a 'marshalling yard' shown on this page: http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Inglenook/inglenook-layouts.html
  2. J

Railroad memorabilia for the train room

I was so struck by how nice your stock cert. looked I'm following suit. I'm getting one from EL and some of the RR's that have (had) a presence in my proposed layout's area: NYC, PENN, Erie, and Nickel Plate. I also found a cross buck RR sign that is still in situ but no where near any RR...
  3. J

Erie/EL yard @ Jamestown, NY using USGS Historical Topo & County Tax Maps

I took your idea, Iron Horseman, and came up with the above. I'm happy with the results of your suggestion. But I'm not sure how I feel with the operator having to cross from the Yard Aisle, around the BPU/Lumber Yard spur, to the backside of the BPU backdrop, around the AVM spur (which may...
  4. J

I think IDing the business the track led to might shed light on its apparent importance for its own bridge. Maybe this was also a transfer station during WWII...trucks loading directly onto RR cars. Maybe not likely but possible. When one thinks of Jamestown it's usually in connection with...
  5. J

Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIV

I've started to do the same at my (one and only) LHS, even if it's just a 'zine for "letting" me look around. Hope it goes nicely re: possible move. Personally, Mpls. was enough Winter for me though I don't know if Duluth would be worse or better since, you say, there are hills...maybe to...
  6. J

Across the street is/was a row of Four-Square style homes with just enough room for a driveway in between (some are still there per Google Earth Street View). Also, East 2nd St. is a main thoroughfare that had double trolley tracks going down it. Also, not very far east (to the right) this...
  7. J

Modeling Idiosyncrasies That Usually Don't Work So Well

Yes....and look at post #63 of that thread.
  8. J

Modeling Idiosyncrasies That Usually Don't Work So Well

As I go through the process of learning, in the back of my mind I keep wondering what "pitfalls", "clichés", or other (mostly newbie) modeling idiosyncrasies am I rushing headlong toward? It would be nice to know what is commonly done "wrong" or difficult to do "well" so I can reflect on what I...
  9. J

Newbie Quick Questions

The Length Of Things I've been reading a lot and am noticing a "blind spot" in often repeated material...the length of things. For example, one might read any of the following: - "it's better to space turnouts approx. one engine length apart" (okay, but, if I'm running diesels, what's "one...
  10. J

Modeling Problem: Configuring Track for Access For anyone interested in 'mind puzzles' and translating prototype track configurations onto a layout: PROBLEM: If one is standing before the yard, with the obligatory BPU currently to the left, walking to the AVM siding [red arrow] and/or blue...
  11. J

looking for article on mold making

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/183920.aspx not molds, per se, just coal loads
  12. J

Newbie Quick Questions

Received, 6) *Realistic Model Railroad Design (TK), 7) **Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Ed. (JA), as well as, The Model Railroader's Guide to Freight Yards, by Andy Sperandeo, and How To Design a Small Switching Layout by Lance Mindheim (this last one ordered by mistake). - I read...
  13. J

Google Goof... Heh, heh...

I'm not seeing it....just the normal pixelization one would expect.
  14. J

Unconventional mortgage?

BTW, those "Sale Pending" or "Under Contract" signs are solely for the benefit of the realtor...."see how good I am? Let me list your house, too." But, for the seller, they're not so great. When we sold our last house we made sure our agent would not change the MLS listing or signage until...
  15. J

Joe, according to the Weather Channel (News12, actually) the rotation of this nor'easter has us (on LI) getting the rain as it rotates to NJ. It's going to finally start to clear-up later today (after, what, a week?) so you might have clearer weather soon. I have a concrete pour and a shed...
  16. J

Nurses told me I was an inspiration to others, cheered them up a bit, to see a (then) 21 yr. old getting a partial hip replacement (intertrochanter fracture w/ aneurysmal bone cysts) and dealing with it with a sense of humour (on the outside). Inside, I was pretty miserable about the whole...
  17. J

Show Your Face

2 yrs. ago; me, showing how far I had come in facing my fear of falling (heights no problem...it's the falling part that gets me)...standing on a pump-jack bracket waiting for the toe board to be slid to me. Excuse the yard mess...we're (still) under construction. 6yrs ago...me and my...
  18. J

Thanks for taking notice. I realize I'm not really asking many (any) questions to encourage replies but I'm glad you see I'm sharing a thought process and open to any suggestions of restraint, opportunities, and etc. It's one thing to think things through and another to be expressing them...
  19. J

This is the eastern most point of the Jamestown area (Falconer, NY is a "suburb"). l. to r.: Red Rectangle - same one as shown on right side of previous post's pic; end of Jamestown's manufacturing area. Black Arrows - indicate EL and NYC lines (see text, also) Red Arrows - indicate...
  20. J

l. to r.: Light Green Circle - the same spurs from prev. post's right edge, not sure what businesses were served Green Arrows - Look, a runaround! Red Circle - Now we're reaching the industrial area of Jamestown's 'famous' manufacturers (Crescent Tool, Maddox, Jamestown Art Metal, Blackstone...

Back