Search results

1. D

MV lenses

Thanks Jim!!!! They have 4 of what I need in stock, that should get me started!
  2. D

MV lenses

I am searching for MV jewel lenses to replicate ditch lights but I cannot find any suppliers. Walthers is out of stock on almost all MV products. Any ideas as to where to find them?
  3. D

Weekend Photo Fun 12-12/12-15

I guess there's rivet counters of all kinds. Actually a Deputy Sheriff / Detective assigned to a rural crimes task force in the San Joaquin Valley. I remember a previous post in which you mentioned something about a patrol car....
  4. D

Weekend Photo Fun 12-12/12-15

If anybody is interested, the license plate on the Mini Cooper is '2WQ1332', California plate. That's funny, the license plate format on the Mini Cooper is that of a trailer license plate for California. If the "1" happened to be an "I" it could be valid.... Only thing wrong then would be...
  5. D

Weekend Photo Fun 11-7/11-10

I just measured the inner diameter of the Atlas headlight housings and it is .075. The fiber optic lens inserts they use measures .072. If you want a good fit I would suggest using a similar diameter fiber optic.
  6. D

Miniatronics makes the bulbs, they're the 1.5 volt 1.2mm bulbs. I can't recall who makes the fiber optics. I threw the packaging away a long time ago. I bought it at my LHS (Hobby Town USA), the cost was something like $10 for 5 feet or so.
  7. D

It's been a while since I have posted on this forum or this thread, but I follow it every weekend!!! Here's what I have been working on this weekend.... Atlas GP40, detailing and painting it into the DRGW 3079. Here's the chassis with an NCE decoder installed. I used micro-bulbs and fiber...
  8. D

Athearn repower questions

Has anyone ever tried to repower an Athearn GPXX-2 with an Atlas GPXX drive train? I have three failed projects (Atlas GP38/GP40 chassis) which I would like to use to power three DRGW GP40-2's, Athearn of course. Before I go tearing into these chassis, I would like to hear other's experiences.
  9. D

Weekend Photo Fun 30-31-1

I am using a combo of country tan, terra cotta, nutmeg brown, burnt umber, pewter grey, and golden brown. All paints are Wal-Mart art acrylics.
  10. D

Weekend Photo Fun 30-31-1

Just getting the scenery in on this section of layout. It is very time consuming with the rock molds and hand carving.
  11. D

Weekend Photofun 16-17-18

I've been weathering box cars this weekend. These still need the roofs done and some graffiti, but it's a start.
  12. D

Those working with foam...

I'm using clear/paintable calk. Just apply the caulk to the gaps then, with a cup of water nearby, wet your fingers and smooth it out. Here's a link to some pictures of this technique shown in another thread, scroll about halfway down the page...
  13. D

Long Weekend "Worker's day" Photo Fun!!! May 1-2-3 and 4

Here's some more pics, including construction progress... Rock formation Beginnings of tunnel Bridge to mine #2 Rear tunnel portal
  14. D

Long Weekend "Worker's day" Photo Fun!!! May 1-2-3 and 4

Here goes for my first post in the WPF threads!!!! These pictures were taken on the only scenic'ed corner of my layout. CORP GP38 on the top of the curve. CORP GP 38 on the bottom of the curve. UP SD60M coming down grade at the top of the curve. Another shot of above with...
  15. D

please critique my work, new to custom painting

-The gray that I used on the 3823 is FLoquil enamel SP Lark Light Gray. -The gray on the 3804 is Floquil enamel UP Harbor Mist. -The red on both is Floquil enamel Signal Red. Tip: the red on the 3823 was applied after the gray, on the 3804 the red was applied first. Microscale sells the decal...
  16. D

resistors

What size resistor should I use for 1.5volt, 1.2mm incandescant bulbs? These are going in digitrax equipped locos for ditch lights. Also, if I will be running two lights from the same power source, do I need to use two resistors or will one work?
  17. D

Thanks for the kind words, that will give me the confidence to tackle a fleet of Atlas 38's.... Has anyone noticed the color difference between the 3804 and 3823? Can I get some opinions on that? The 3804 was painted with Signal Red first, then UP Harbor Mist Gray. The 3823 was painted with SP...
  18. D

These are my first two custom paint jobs which copy an actual prototype. I have painted two other engines in the past to a freelanced road I was thinking of modelling. Those paint jobs were very simple. The CORP 3823 was the first one I painted and the 3804 came second. They are both...
  19. D

paint stripping

Very nice, those came out clean!! Thanks for the reply, Dan
  20. D

paint stripping

Question for the custom painters out there: What should I use to strip the newer Atlas locos and the BLI locos? I have had great success stripping the paint off Athearn models with brake fluid and 90% alcohol, but have ruined a BLI shell and a Kato shell in break fluid. Oven cleaner and 90%...

Back