Search results

1. mantua mike

post war Lionel 2025, No reverse?

Runs well in forward but has no reverse, any help here?
  2. mantua mike

JimT

Haven't heard much out of JimT lately. Odd. Hope he is ok.
  3. mantua mike

reversing switch

Does anyone know when they stopped putting switches on HO engines to run them in reverse?
  4. mantua mike

The best

I have recently been on several other MRR forums. Though there is much good information out there, this forum is hands down THE BEST!!. Kudos to this forum and its members. You are by far the most helpful, encouraging, and civilized bunch out there. Don't change. Thanks, Mike.
  5. mantua mike

Rivet counting Vs Fun

Wondering what the general consensus is. As I read some of the forums on here I notice most of the criticisms are constructive and meant to be helpful, however I sometimes as we all want our things to look as realistic as possible at what point does it become a chore rather than just good fun...
  6. mantua mike

Anybody else have a messy bench?

I will "organize my work area" and it seems like in no time it's a disaster area again. Am I alone in this situation? Maybe we could have a messy bench contest in the WPF or somewhere.
  7. mantua mike

Thank you, thank you,thank you.

I just want to thank this forum and it's members for being instrumental in the preservation of my sanity. I sit in an office by myself between 8 and 11 hours a day in front of 3 computers. Thankfully I usually only need 1 or 2 of them. Since I found this forum I get the interaction I need to...
  8. mantua mike

Seriously considering modeling my home town. Anyone else?

At one time I thought about this before. It seemed like quite an undertaking. I've since read about some of the history of Kent Ohio. It is quite rich in railroad history. There was a roundhouse and turntable, and an engine shed. There is a nice station that is now a restaurant called The...
  9. mantua mike

I just wanted to say...

I really enjoy this forum. What a great bunch of folks ! Everyone is helpful and non critical. Positive comment and insights everywhere . The criticisms I do read are constructive not nit picky. The responses to my "how did you pick your handle" were great. I like to get to know a little about...
  10. mantua mike

How did you pick your handle?

I realize some of them are probably quite obvious. I'll also bet some of them have an interesting story behind them. Mine would seem pretty obvious since we are all familiar with Mantua models, however Mantua is also the name of the town I grew up in in Ohio.
  11. mantua mike

valve gear fabrication?

Has anyone ever had to fab up some valve gear? Any tricks, I have a nice piece of brass stock. Was just going to try to cut them out close and file fit them the rest of the way. Probably clamp them together in a vise to keep them symmetrical. Hope I'm going about this right.
  12. mantua mike

N.E. Ohio model railroad clubs?

I suppose this is the wrong part of the forum, but I was wondering if anybody knows of any model railroad clubs in the Kent/ Akron area?
  13. mantua mike

painting brass?

Any help appreciated. What is the best method for prepping/painting brass?
  14. mantua mike

My first brass project

The red " train wreck" is what I got in the mail Friday. This is how it's coming along. Now I need to fab up some valve gear. Any suggestions for that?
  15. mantua mike

just an idea.

I was thinking it would be cool to have our own little auctions, kind of like an ebay thing without having to pay 10% to somebody of our sale price and shipping. We could just keep it simple, set a start and end time, starting price could be your "reserve", Have minimum increments for...
  16. mantua mike

new guy here

Hello all, my name is Mike. I am fairly new to the hobby and I enjoy it immensely. I like to repair and restore mostly vintage stuff. I tend to lean towards the vintage Mantua and Rivarossi steam engines because they just seem to work. I have amassed a nice collection as well as having some...

Back