Search results

1. KB02

View from the Office

Last weekend my office moved. I now not only have a window. but it's got a pretty good view: Beyond the building is lovely Lake Champlain with the picturesque New York Adirondacks in the back ground. ... oh, yeah... And my new friends 208 and 212 shunting cars around for Vermont Rail Systems...
  2. KB02

Vermont Model Train Show

Today was Vermont's model train show in St. Albans. A small show in comparison to others, but bigger (at least in appearance, anyway), than it had been in the last few years. A couple small layouts to the right of the picture and a kiddies corner to the left. Would have been nice to see a few...
  3. KB02

1/7th scale Big Boy - MADE FROM LEGO!!!

This may have been posted elsewhere on the forum, but it is my tradition to be late to the party on such things.
  4. KB02

Module #1

With most of my modules built physically created for my new layout (Rebuild thread here), I have a vast array of blank canvases to work with. Each one is 18"x48". Time to get started. Module #1 will come off the bar where I have two tracks with a 2" height difference. So, I figure a nice...
  5. KB02

RR Lanterns Anyone?

While cleaning out may parents' house after the death of my father, we have come across several antique RR Lanterns. We had one estate seller who was interested in them, but who then flaked out on us about these and a whole other bunch of antiques. So now we're wrestling with the question of...
  6. KB02

The Teardown and Rebuilt of the Whistle Stop RR AND the Train Room its in

Before: Currently (mid April, 2023) : The Future: The time has come for my first teardown and rebuild of my layout. I have grown somewhat dissatisfied with the current status of my layout and can't really find a way to correct the "Flaws" I see with the way it has been built over the...
  7. KB02

What is it about Bridges and Tunnels?

It seams that no model railroad layout appears complete without a bridge and/or a tunnel. Why is it that we modelers appear obsessed with these features? ... or is it just me?
  8. KB02

Peco Turnout motor won't stay in one direction?

I have a Peco curved turn out connected to a simple Peco DC turnout motor wired through a DPST momentary switch. When I turn the switch to one side (main line travel), the motor and switch work just fine. When I turn the switch to the other direction (diverging route), the points will switch to...
  9. KB02

How much fun can you have in a foot & a half? (HO Scale)

Looking at tearing down my layout and rebuilding. I have a 32' by 13' room to work with, but I have an 8x4' pool table I need to work around. I've been thinking that I wanted to go a Free-Mo style modular set up, but when looking at the Free-Mo standards, the space I have doesn't really fit. The...
  10. KB02

My new crisis with my layout.

I spent last weekend in Springfield, MA at the Amherst Model Railway Society's train show. Huge show, lots of people, lots of layouts... it was great. And shockingly enough, I think I spent less than $50!! (what's wrong with me?) MY WIFE actually made the first purchase of the weekend! She saw a...
  11. KB02

My Amherst Train Show Score

I spent last weekend in Springfield, MA at the Amherst Model Railway Society's train show. I had it in my head that I wanted to buy a new locomotive but wasn't quite sure what I wanted. By the end of the weekend, I was starting to walk to the door without much (physically) to show for my time...
  12. KB02

Auto Reverser for DC?

Is there a company that makes an Auto Reverser for DC operations? I've been looking online and, other than the good ole fashion DPDT, I haven't been able to find one for DC. Everything I have found has been for DCC.
  13. KB02

Motivation rising...

So, I've been off the forums for a while. And not much has been happening on the layout, either. BUT, I did just complete my transition from DCC to RailPro, so that has been helping my motivation to get working on my layout. Lots of scenicking to do! Not a whole lot of supplies, though. That's...
  14. KB02

LED Directional Polarity Question

LED's are polarity dependent to emit light. But will current still flow through them if the polarity is going the wrong way?
  15. KB02

Running Distributed Power with RailPro

Just having a little fun. Thought I would share. I know some people do this with regular DCC (and probably some do it with DC, too), but RailPro makes it so dead easy. :)
  16. KB02

Old Steam Restoration

This may or may not have been posted previously, but in stumbled upon it tonight and had to share.
  17. KB02

Working on a New Layout

Hey all! I haven't been on here in quite some time. But don't worry, I'm still around. In fact, I've been working on a new layout! What do you think? :) :) :) :) :) :) Lie has been keeping my exceedingly busy lately and the layout hasn't gotten much attention. I'll be back to it soon enough...
  18. KB02

The FINAL Expansion

Well... Probably the final expansion. The time has come to finally finish the last loop on my layout so that the trains can complete their "Around the Room" journey. I've been slowly putting in shelving to get around the pool table, added in the Time Saver Puzzle shelf layout that was given to...
  19. KB02

Track Nail Removal Tool (HO Scale)

Necessity, they say, is the mother of invention. I needed to remove a bunch of track nails from a section where the tracks were nailed directly into plywood. The nails were all hammed tightly onto the ties. I tried gripping the nail heads with pliers, but they were too far down to get a good...
  20. KB02

Bluing track for seldom used or abandoned lines?

Has anyone ever tried cold bluing fluid to darken the rails on a seldom used or abandoned sidings on their layout? I’m adding in a small switching section to my layout and was thinking that I might leave one of the sidings as an abandoned spur (closed business, etc.). Yet, the RR might need to...

Back