Search results

1. J

How about rescuing, rebuilding, and refinishing some old stuff, or "toy" stuff ?

I have an idea for a fun project. As I have been “going through” my old stuff I have found a few TYCO, Life Like and the like cars (even a Varney 34’ hopper!), A couple of USRA style box cars, three tank cars, a couple of flats and a caboose or two. Chances are I’ll find a couple more pieces. I...
  2. J

FS or Trade Code 100 track and stuff

I found a Life Like set in my backyard storage today. Included is a GP with a single power truck and rotted off rubber traction wheel. I put it on my track and it didn't work or even make a noise. There were also a couple of "action cars operating log and pipe loaders. This stuff is...
  3. J

Finally Getting started building again.

It's been many years. I spent this summer in he hospital having surgeries, losing half my colon and surviving operations that 60 plus year olds don't survive.... 90% of the time. Luckily I decided to return to my life's hobby near the end of last year. I put together a test track when I got...
  4. J

I'm looking for some code 100 HO track on a budget.

As some may have read I am returning to the hobby..... interuppted by three surgeries this year. I'm looking for some Atlas #6 and #4 switches (or Shinohara or Peco which are probably to expensive) I'm also looking for some 22 and 24 in curves. I could also use a couple of WYE's. all code...
  5. J

Feeling better I set up a test track.

I've had serious health problems, including three serious surgeries this year, mostly from early March on. Finally on the road to recovery I put together a 4x4 foot test track, with 18 inch radius curves, using 30 year old "junk" track.... lots of extra work. Lots of problems with old track...
  6. J

Plaster cloth vs. Paper towels

OK, I'm an old guy, returning to the hobby after many years. In my 30's I got quite good at scenery..... although much was done very differently. One piece of the confusion was "plaster cloth" Woodland Scenic's or otherwise. I finally watched a Youtube video. Plaster cloth basicly replaces...
  7. J

How many members have Hobby Lobby close? Do you shop there?

For four weeks now, not including last week when I was ill I have stopped by Hobby Lobby and looked around, then made a single purchase. This weeks purchase was a giant bag of Woodland Scenics "ready to grow" trees. The bag is $19.99 from Woodland Senics, and somewhat less on ebay when...
  8. J

Give me advice on AHM/Rivarossi 4-4-0 Reno

As some of you know I'm back to the hobby after a long time away, some 25 years. I was lucky though, I found 22 boxes of "stuff" generally not much track, loco's or rolling stock but a little. Among those things was a brand new, made in the 1960's in the box AHM/Rivarossi 4-4-0 Reno (Cab...
  9. J

ALCO C-415 unusual model available on eBay - Opertunity knocks

I was jumping around eBay testerday and I ran into this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231186781726?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . This is a really neat model of an unusual prototype locomotive. The motor is a little weak the trucks, gears are solid and quiet...
  10. J

Physical disability, layout height pro's and cons. Help please.

Wednesday is my first "lumber day" layout building is that close. Like everyone planning a layout I've been thinking in terms of 48 inches up as a starting benchwork height. Today something hit me. I'm 62 now, and disabled. Standing is a problem for me. Last Sunday I spoke in Church for 45...
  11. J

BOX of older style HO motors all tested. What should I do?

Going through a big box of stuff found an Athearn blue box full of motors. I remember this box from thirty years ago, it's where I threw old motors, good bad watever. I had the idea that I might animate something... Ok cut it out, I wasn't an astronaut either. Tonight I tested them and half...
  12. J

Another "returnee" question. What kind of glue? I'm running out.

Tonight I was working on some cars from my junk car box (all that there were left, haha) and I casually grabbed my square Testors 1oz bottle & brush out of my tool chest. The scent is intoxicating (meaning fun smell not glue sniffing) anyway I began to wonder. When I finished my work kinda...
  13. J

Has anyone Experianced or Seen the Code 100 -18 inch Model Power straight sections?

These are intrigueing, especially if you are using code 100. I can see many places where 18 inch straight sections can come in handy. Nickel Silver, a foot and a half long, actually straight. Take a look...
  14. J

What do people do to strip factory paint ?

First if this has been covered lead me to it and I'll shut up. Here goes, stripping paint. Previously I used brake fluid, then some transparent blue stuff that came in liter bottles from the hobby shop. I also had a large (16 inch capacity) ultrasonic cleaning rig that would work on any metal...
  15. J

OK now I'm really getting excited. This is so cool.

I have another thread going so if this is a boo-boo the powers that be can move this. Somehow today I got impaitent after dinner and began looking at the stuff I'd found... and there is more to go through. In addition to trying to read online and re-famialize myself with whats available...
  16. J

At 62 I'm returning from a 20+ year hiatus, pray for me !

I’m really happy I found this site. I’m a lifetime model railroader who has been“out of the hobby” for twenty plus years. I’m now 62 years old and my health isn’t the best. Also, I don’t have the typical budget neededto build a first class model railroad. That’s the bad news, there is good...

Back