Search results

1. P

LED strip lights?

I'm good with soldering leads to them, it was the hassle of putting in resistors that I was trying to avoid. Jeff
  2. P

LED strip lights?

Thanks guys! I've ordered some from that hobby site where you an get a meter of them for $4.50. It says you can cut them into groups of 3, and if that means you can use them that way without any additional resistors with a 12 volt power source, that will really make things super easy. I...
  3. P

LED strip lights?

Some time ago I read a thread about someone who had found LED lights in strips where the LEDs could be cut off individually, or any number at a time. You could solder leads to them and hook them up directly to a 12volt source as they already had resistors built in. Great for lighting...
  4. P

Source for older passenger cars?

Thanks Stoker! Jeff
  5. P

Source for older passenger cars?

I have a 2-8-2 Steam locomotive that I want to combine with 2 or 3 old-style passenger cars. I want it to represent a train that would give rides from a museum or similar set-up. So, I am looking for passenger cars from the late 1800's to the 1930's or so. They can be from the wooden area, or...
  6. P

Stuff in BLI steam loco box?

Thanks everybody. It looks like there is indeed extra traction tires with the wrench. Good advice too about turning off the smoke unit until I get ready to use it. I had read before about how quickly they bite the dust if you run them dry by accident. Jeff
  7. P

Thanks guys. It is a 4-8-4 with tender labeled for the Reading Railroad. I got it from M.B. Klein. They still have two more there with different engine numbers. I can tell the one small baggie has parts that are intended to make the engine more prototypical. One of the parts is even a...
  8. P

LOL! At least I'm not the only one who has no clue! Jeff
  9. P

All, I got my new BLI steam locomotive and it is very nice. In the box, along with the loco and tender is a tube of smoke liquid and a small funnel, which are self explanatory. On the other side of the foam holder is a small bag with what appears to be a wrench/socket of some sort and some...
  10. P

BLI versus MTH quality?

Thanks for the input everyone! Time and time again, I have come to this forum to get the opinions and guidance of the folks on here who know SO much more about model railroading than I do. I have never been disappointed! Jeff
  11. P

LED and resistor specs/sources?

Cool, thanks Mark. For what they cost, it's no biggie to take a chance, even if there is a problem, it's not like I'd be out big bucks. Jeff
  12. P

Mark, Can you point me to an ebay seller that you have had good luck with? I like the idea of buying a huge lot of different types and experimenting. Jeff
  13. P

BLI versus MTH quality?

A valuable conversation and one I really appreciate. Just as a side note to the one post about their locomotives being new, the locomotives they have on their web page were new in 2009. They are no longer available and haven't been available for years. You would think they would update the...
  14. P

BLI versus MTH quality?

Thank you everyone for the frank discussion! I've decided on the BLI locomotive, with my fingers crossed. It just sounds like a lot of compatibility issues with the MTH stuff. Also, it kind of ticked me off when I went on their website and they are still advertising engines that came out in...
  15. P

BLI versus MTH quality?

I am looking at steam locomotives in HO scale with DCC. I have narrowed my search down to locomotives made by Broadway Limited and MTH. The MTH locos are more expensive, I suspect because they are all metal as opposed to metal chassis and ABS bodies. Is there a general consensus as to which...
  16. P

Appropriate DCC steam loco for South Dakota?

Thank you so much, that is enormously helpful! I'm off to find a 2-8-0 Consolidation! Jeff
  17. P

Appropriate DCC steam loco for South Dakota?

I am modeling based roughly on the Western area of South Dakota. Not following exactly, just in general. I have all diesel locomotives at this point, but would like to get one steam locomotive. Would like it DCC equipped and able to produce smoke and realistic sounds. HO scale. Can someone...
  18. P

Interesting that you provided that link. I have been web surfing looking for options and came upon that site and it looked like what I am looking for. Thanks too for the advice on the resistor size. I liked the earlier advice too to strip out the LEDS from a line of Christmas lights. I might...
  19. P

Opps! One correction. My DC accessory bus is 12volt not 5 volt. Jeff
  20. P

I have read dozens of posts about on here about LED lighting and resistor values for them, etc., but I'm dense I guess... I have a nice 5volt power supply feeding an auxiliary line all around my layout. I want to light buildings, street lights, signals, etc. down the road. For now, my primary...

Back