Search results

1. J

is this cheating?

I am wondering if its "cheating" to run a modern layout and run modern locomotives just so that I can run outdated locomotives and outdated cars, and even run entire trains that are out-of-era? I'm trying to get "back" into the hobby after a 10-year hiatus and now that I actually have some...
  2. J

are these locomotives the same model?

I have these locomotives, one of them I don't know the exact model and I tried to share this on a different board but the subject quickly got off-topic (quicker than usual) are all 4 of these GP40-2's? I can't tell what kind the Santa Fe one is, it looks similar but it has some unique...
  3. J

what do you do when you have multiple coupler types?

after about a 10 year hiaus I am thinking about getting back into the hobby (I have a little bit more money now than when I was 13, and I actually care more about it now and I can do my own thing as opposed to doing it the way somebody told me I HAD to do it) but having a collection that was...
  4. J

how long is a mile?

if somebody wanted to model a scale mile, how long would that be? and yes, for argument sakes we're going to assume its a straight line so what would a mile be in Z? N? HO? S? O? G?
  5. J

are HO and 1:87 the same thing?

the past few weeks I've picked up a few 1:87 scale vehicles, the prices were right so I blindly purchased them for that reason, I took one item home and it seemed like the dimensions were off, I purchased a Greyhound bus ($16...can't beat that) but I took it home and compared it to a few...
  6. J

a lousy attempt at a HO Scale layout evolving into a S Scale racetrack

this started off as an Attempt to build an HO scale layout, but Family Drama got in the way (long story that y'all don't want to hear) so it evolved into an S Scale racetrack. I only have 4 pictures.. the layout was torn down years later, but I have thought about trying to revisit both the HO...
  7. J

what model are these locomotives?

I hate to ask stupid questions but I an just wondering, I did some research but I didn't know for sure if they were correct it looks like from top to bottom F7 SD45-2 AC45CCTE SD70M the last 2 I found pictures of online but they didn't look like they matched if you need me to take a...
  8. J

a question about crossings and roads

i'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question but here I go hypothetically is it possible to build a crossing at a turnout or whatever they are called? is it a good or bad idea to put a road ON the tracks, either as the main-line or the branch line I ask because of an idea I had...
  9. J

Hello my name is Justin

hello my name is Justin and I am "new" to model railroading I say I am "new' because I have had an interest in model railroading from watching my uncle as a kid be obsessed with them. then I built a layout when I was 11 or 12 and it didn't' end well for either me or the layout. my mother found...

Back